None yet with mine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not me

·
Registered
106 Posts
The transmission can unexpectedly shift into neutral while driving due to an improper crimp on a wiring harness attached to the sensor cluster, which controls the “shift pattern and quality,”
ZF is not recommending automakers make any physical repairs to the affected cars despite making a crimping change to its production line starting in July 2014
So, it sounds as if ZF is claiming this problem was fixed in 2014.

I have never experienced any drop into neutral in our 2017 DS, so I hope this has already been fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From Car & Driver:
ZF Recalls Nine-Speed Automatic for Random Drops into Neutral, Only Involves Software Update - News - Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Affected 2015-2017 Land Rover Discovery Sports:eek:

Anyone been affected ?
Problems with your 9 speed tranny ???
Yes...
2017 Discovery Sport - Issue started from new and never been repaired properly... The car shifts randomly to Neutral. The 2 years warranty has gone and the car is for sale... Paid 58.000 Euros and now market value of 18.000, with 50.000 Kms. Driving with fear, is the worst thing... Stop on crossings or attempt to enter the traffic and hear the engine screaming because the car changed to neutral. :(

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
Turn it off and see what happens . You may be trying to accelerate before the transmission fully engages after stopping

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does the problem happen if the start /stop is turned off?
The START/STOP ON and the car doesn't even have the time to turn OFF, and the gear goes to P without any warning...
Some cases:
Turn the car exit from my garage, arrive at the crossroad and accelerate and you hear the engine revving up, and is already on P, and the car never turned off.
Driving on the rush hour, roundabout, slow entry, little stop before enter, and the car passes to P.
My wife says that she uses the START/STOP turned off and the result is the same!

:/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Turn it off and see what happens . You may be trying to accelerate before the transmission fully engages after stopping
Looking to the selector the P light is ON, and you have to rotate to D to continue.
We live in Italy and there are some cases, where the guy engage P in a mountain road to take a leak, leaves the engine ON, with the wife waiting inside, and the car passes to D by itself goes against the wall and the wife finishes dying due to the injures.
For now my car only changes from D to P.
The worse cases are the contrary, and happens to several people.

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
Never heard of this problem in any other forums. strange that car would go into drive and the rear parking brake would also release. Does not seem like a tranny problem but some weird electronic problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Bill!

In the article wrote by Car And Driver, you will see that in fact it is an electronic fault.
Bad crimping on a connector, generates a different resistance (Ohm reading) causing the strange behaviour.
ZF asked to the car manufacturers to avoid physical changes, and created a software update to address the issue (costs less).

My car accordantly to the dealership, have been updated, however the issue remains, and the strangest thing is that I can see anywhere on the service records (see attached pdf).

If you have a connector, and deterioration takes place (worse is the fact that started with a defect) as time passes, the resistance will change for sure.

The solution thru software changes, has given to ZF a easy and low cost to "resolve" the issue.

Try to imagine FCA (Fiat Chrysler and Jeep), Honda and Tata Motors (Land Rover), reverting the costs for production stops, recalls, man hours and etc...
The manufacture could declare any number for these costs, and then you have the actual costs, on a new cable/connector for each car... FCA recall more than 900.000 cars worldwide.

Only ZF knows the real number, because they know the time range for the production defect.

They know exactly when stoped, because they had changed the production line. but going back in time to know for sure, only by testing production batches (the cars are sold and costs are proibitive).

If you give the software a range of readings, instead a fixed number, and redundancy checks, with a table of readings, you are telling the transmission how to behave, maybe will work for 90% of the cases, but I believe isn't enough for the 100% of the cases.

In the meantime people are dying, or suffering material and psychological damage.

Sad thing!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts