Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

First post here.

So I am currently saving up for a 2017 Discovery to replace my old 2002 Blazer.

If all goes well I should be placing the order late spring or perhaps early summer.

Naturally there is a lot I like about the vehicle and could discuss, but start with one small point I guess, one thing I'm a bit sour on and hope I'm not offending any who like it, but I really don't like how big and pronounced the letters that read "Discovery" are on the front and the back and am 99% sure I will have them removed at the dealer before I take it.

For me I really wish it came from the factory with the Land Rover lettering as those are nice and honestly I just favor the name, but I don't know yet if I want to go as far as putting those in place of the Discovery letters yet

Will note to that one of best friend's works as a mechanic at the dealer I will be getting it from, and he has told me I'm not alone as quite a few people have had the letters removed.

Anyway, I guess the only thing that is holding me back is I just wonder if or how much this might lower the value of the vehicle and especially if I want to trade it back in to the dealer as I don't plan to keep it more then 3-4 years before I will probably swap it for a newer one or upgrade to a full Sport.

So I guess to get to the question, I just thought I would query peoples opinion among those who really like the SUV as to what you would feel about getting a used one if you were looking, but finding it had the Discovery letters removed?

Would you pass over it for one that did if it was clean and great on all levels besides that?

Would you feel you should pay less for it then it otherwise would be worth?

Thanks for any feed back

·
Super Moderator
360 Posts
Personally I would not considerate buying an altered luxury vehicle. I would always worry about what unseen changes where made. Maybe a used KIA

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't see any reason why you cannot remove the lettering, its very easy. Then, when it comes to trade in just reinstalled them, they are cheap on eBay and a easy install. I also agree with you about the lettering, I also have thought about removing the rear and replacing it with Land Rover, the Discovery lettering is a bit over done.

A far as the price, NO I don't think lettering has to do with a cheaper price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see any reason why you cannot remove the lettering, its very easy. Then, when it comes to trade in just reinstalled them, they are cheap on eBay and a easy install. I also agree with you about the lettering, I also have thought about removing the rear and replacing it with Land Rover, the Discovery lettering is a bit over done.

A far as the price, NO I don't think lettering has to do with a cheaper price.
That's true, it really isn't all that hard to put them back on when I go to trade it in.

All in all I was planning to get new ones when I did it anyway so even if its a $100 or so to have a body shop do it so they are as right as possible, it could be worth it.

For my Blazer I got the ZR2 package and it came with a good size sticker on the back quarters that said that, which also included what looked like a little splash of mud at the end of it, but just seemed kinda kid like to have it so I had the dealer remover it. But I bought new ones in the box at the same time in case someone wanted them when I went to sell it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
De-badging is common in Europe and comes standard.
While in the USA, cars are badged as standard.

When you de-badge your car, keep the lettering to replace them when you sell it.

I agree, that the minimal approach is sometimes better looking - some Range Rovers I have seen have them removed and the only thing visible is the green LR oval badge.

·
Registered
211 Posts
De-badging is so much easier today with these new adhesives than 20 years or more ago when the badges where attached with pins and holes in the body!

I'd be interested to see how your DS looks without them - could be really nice! (and if you don't like the look - put them back on!). Replacing Discovery with Land Rover would be interesting as well. Hmmmm. Something else to consider.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thought about that but getting the Land Rover letters that are slightly curved is the problem, most of them from what I have seen are flat letters. I'm still looking for them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also would have much rather have had the LAND ROVER scripts on the nose and tail vs the Discovery. BTW, there is a white Disco Sport around here where someone did just that--replaced the Discovery badges with Land Rover. I'm not super fond of the Discovery name being a basis of a sub-brand, but at least the steering wheel as a Land Rover logo on it and not a Discovery logo. Check the new Discovery 5, the steering wheel logo says "Discovery"...not my fav.

If I see that DS with the Land Rover script again soon, I'll try to get a picture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about that but getting the Land Rover letters that are slightly curved is the problem, most of them from what I have seen are flat letters. I'm still looking for them.
Interesting, so the Discovery letters have a slight curve to them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
De-badging is so much easier today with these new adhesives than 20 years or more ago when the badges where attached with pins and holes in the body!

I'd be interested to see how your DS looks without them - could be really nice! (and if you don't like the look - put them back on!). Replacing Discovery with Land Rover would be interesting as well. Hmmmm. Something else to consider.
I had thought about putting on the Land Rover letters but wasn't sure I wanted to change it that much.

Could just see someone in a parking lot or at work coming up to me and saying...oh...so what you needed to think you car was a real Land Rover that bad huh.

I know, small point to care that much about others, but still would wonder how it would look and or make me feel about the choice.

But really more main thing I was worried about was in several years down the road I just would worry that even if the Land Rover letters could come off fine, there might still be some evidence of them being there to the paint or finish such as fading or color changes in an outline of them or something.

Where as if I took the Discovery letters off right away there shouldn't be anything like that, then if I leave nothing and want later to put them back it shouldn't have any issues like that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Could just see someone in a parking lot or at work coming up to me and saying...oh...so what you needed to think you car was a real Land Rover that bad huh.

But the DS is a real Land Rover - just doesn't say it! The LR-4 is a Land Rover and badging says Land Rover. Range Rover Sport is a Land Rover (granted, the "higher" end of the Land Rover offerings) and is badged as both.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't worry about what others think. Frankly, I don't think most people recognize the difference. Valet parked my DS the other day, and when I came out the attendant said - "You had the Range Rover, right?" "Yes, of course I do" ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I assume they are fairly easy to put back on but i would only worry about getting them back on straight.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well I took the plunge and removed the rear DISCOVERY and replaced it with LAND ROVER letter. The Land Rover letters a smudge larger than the Discovery letters and I think you would call them 3d where as the Discovery letters are 2d. Some of the letters did not sit flush with the car, the letters R and L. The sit off the car about a strong 1/16 inch if that. I think it looks much nicer. I also though of going with the letters RANGER ROVER from the EVO which are the same size and have the same slight curves as I have a Evo loaner right now and put the old Discovery letters to see the difference and they seem to be the same size and slight curvature.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts