Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone will have different reasons for what made them purchase a certain product or service and a vehicle like the Discovery Sport is no different. Although I haven't bought one yet I will be later this year and my main reason is; I always wanted a Land Rover!

Over the years I have watched as Range Rover and Land Rover evolved and seeing some heavy design influence on something as affordable as the Disco is becomes a big pull to buying one. Coming from Japanese and American brands the Disco is a treat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, I was in the market for more of a luxury vehicle and needed something with at least AWD and could haul my fishing equipment. I looked at the Audi Q5, the Mercedes CLK, the Murano, the Mazda 5 SUV, and the Subaru Outback. What drew me to the Disco was the elegance of external design, interior function and elegance, gas mileage, and overall price. I liked the Mercedes but hated the interior and interior space. The Q5 was nice but higher price for same features. I thought the Mazda, Murano, and Subaru were overpriced for their offerings. It would have cost the same out the door as the Disco. I ended up getting the Disco Sport HSE with the weather package, sign recognition, Lane departure, InControl Remote, and Waitomo Grey (highest paint offering) for $5000 off of MSRP so it was a no brainer. Had the car since June and still enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a Mitsubishi Outlander and after 6 years of troublefree rides, I was ready to get another one. But then I heard of Mitsu shutting down their US factory and some news about them wanting to concentrate on asian markets and I backed off...

Then I saw ads about the DS and said to myself why not have a look! Never went back... great car, great features for the price and, most of all, great ride!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I came from the BMW arena from the past 15 years. My reason is quite simple - I wanted a driver's car - not a grocery go getter car.:eek:

When BMW recently changed their design philosophy so radically to change the driver orientated driver into a soccer mom mini van mentality - I bailed. BMW is changing the famous RWD axle to favor the FWD to save on costs, stiff road suspension to favor soft, disconnected rides. They also had the gall to change the steering from hydraulic to the new electric power steering which disconnects the driver from the road.

So I had no choice but to bail out of the BMW train.

I tried: Mercedes GLE, Audi SQ5, and Porsche Macan S.

What I found with other crossovers I tested out:
Mercedes was just as awful as BMW - soft disconnected, expensive and boring to drive.
Audi had a great engine (Supercharged) but the ride going around corners was lacking grip - felt it would tip over.
Porsche Macan S was the best of all - had torque vectoring like the Discovery Sport which grips the road on turns plus the 4WD system that beat out the simple AWD systems of Mercedes and Audi - but the biggest reason: I could not rationalize paying $20,000 more for the same and even smaller car.

That's why I got the Discovery Sport - best bang for the buck IMO.:D
Best steering - very responsive and feedback is good.
Suspension is stiff yet has good manners.
Engine is very torquey for a 4 banger - wish they had the diesel flavor instead which really would have made my day.
Active torque vectoring saves my bacon when going around power curves!

I have not regretted it since - I have a smile whenever I take her out....:laugh:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have chosen a disco because it was a great synthesis of my personnal guess :
- True AWD (exit Q5, GLK...)
- Big boot (in comparison with my previous car : Range Rover Evoque)
- Smart design
- Reasonable price (exit F-Pace, Macan, ...)
- Not a common car (exit Renault, Peugeot, Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Kia, ...)

Sorry for my english... I m French !

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have had my eye on Range Rovers for a while, specifically Range Rover Sport. However, the RR Sport fitted out to my specs was pricey $$$, and I just had a hard time convincing myself to plunk down about $80,000 (really convincing my wife that it was worth it - could have easily justified it myself:laugh:).

So, instead decided to go the Evoque route. Liked the styling, seemed to offer a nice compromise to the RR Sport. My mind was made up, was going to get an Evoque - until I walked into the LR dealer and started looking closely (had never really looked an one close up before). While on the outside all was good, it was when I sat in it that I immediately decided no. The interior made me feel claustrophobic, and the "boot" space was very small indeed. Regardless, I chatted with the sales guy, who went to pull one for a test drive.

That left me to wander the showroom floor and I stumbled across the DS - was not at all familiar with it. The styling really struck me (the floor model was red with black pack). Interior and boot space was much greater. I was intrigued.... By the time the sales guy returned, I had decided to forego the Evoque and go the DS route (he said we was going to suggest that himself, since he thought I wouldn't be happy in the Evoque). And the rest, they say, is history.

I recently had the opportunity to drive the Evoque as a loaner for week. Nice car, but the experience really confirmed, that at least for me, the DS was the right choice (though I still lust for the RR Sport - and may pull the trigger and upgrade in the next couple of years - don't tell the wife;)).

So in a nutshell (admittedly, large nutshell), that's my story.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have been a "car guy" for most of my life. I have driven and completed some minor performance tuning on past vehicles and I really enjoyed that scene. However, we all eventually grow up and what is important to us changes. After 3 sport tuned cars my body said that was enough...its time for something that is easy to get in and out of and something that can withstand the Toronto pot hole scene.
With a current lease coming to an end we knew it was time to order another vehicle. We immediately went out and test drove a ton of sedans which we hoped would have a softer suspension and not a recaro racing seat haha. We drove the MB C300, C450/43, Audi A4, A5 and a BMW 3 series wagon. Out of that group we found the wagon from BMW hit the mark with a nice soft ride but performance right there at your finger tips when the car is put in sport mode. At this point it was decided we would be ordering a 3 series wagon.

It wasn't until someone said, have you looked at any SUV's? My wife (anti suv person) immediately spoke up and said that would never happen......and then we discovered the Jaguar F-Pace haha. We took the F-Pace out for a drive and right away we both fell in love with SUV's. (I am 38 yrs old and this was essentially the first SUV I had driven). I could not get over how comfortable the ride was, how plush the interior was and how much it felt like a car to drive. However, after pricing one out it was just not doable. I could not justify $70+k on an SUV. We sadly walked away from the dealership and started exploring the MB GLC, Q5, Macan (way to expensive) and X3. We kept comparing everything to the F-Pace which meant we were consistently leaving dealerships disappointed. (yes we loved the F-pace)

It wasn't until a week or so later we were driving home from dinner and noticed a gorgeous white SUV with a black roof parked at the local Jag/LR dealership (discosport). We stopped in to look and just fell head over heels in love with the design. There was no pricing on the window and the dealership was closed so we went home assuming it out of our price point. Of course I hit the website immediately when we arrived home and went into complete shock when I realized the vehicle started in the low $40s. I guess I could say the rest is history. Shortly after, we booked a test drive and fell even more in love. Drove it again to confirm it was what we wanted and then got an order placed. Now while we await delivery, we are seeing just how many ways an SUV is a much better option for where our lifestyle is going. In our thirties we have converted to outdoor nature loving people. We have recently bought a ton of gear and the discovery sport should have no problem lugging it around with us everywhere we go. And this may sound cheesey but its true.....the disco sport is on of the only SUV's that when I park...I will look back at as I walk away. haha. Its so dam sexy!

Do I fear I will miss the sport tuned cars...very much so. However, I am excited to see where this vehicle takes us.

·
Registered
106 Posts
And this may sound cheesey but its true.....the disco sport is on of the only SUV's that when I park...I will look back at as I walk away. haha. Its so dam sexy!
This is so true! I said the exact same thing in another thread - every time I park and walk away I turn and take another look - it is a stunning vehicle from every angle. No other car we have ever owned, rented, or test driven have invoked the same response.

Lots of great stories in here. Ours is similar to to some. Never owned an SUV before (I generally have a strong dislike for them being of European descent and always seeing brilliant station wagons all around), but needed something bigger for a more active lifestyle and kids getting bigger. Have to admit that the DS was an afterthought. We looked at every competitor (GLC, X3, Q5), we looked at the larger ones such as the X5, Cayenne, XC90, GLE. We were seriously negotiating on the XC90 T8 (couldn't get anywhere on pricing) and also did some price inquiries on the X5 40e. One Saturday morning we set out again to visit dealers and we happened to drop by the LR dealer that is next to BMW. There was a DS in the showroom and we both liked it right away. There was something about the size, the feel, the layout of the controls - everything felt right compared to all the other cars we had looked at (none of which felt exactly right...). And the way it looked... No doubt, both my wife and I were infatuated! The fact that it is not a common car you see on every corner (like the X3) is also a good thing - as someone else pointed out.

Finally got the attention of one of the sales people and we were offered an extensive test drive on our own (the sales guy in the back seat is a major turn-off). The infatuation did not wear off, and the following Tuesday we had signed the papers.

Not going to lie, the way the car looks weighed heavily on the decision. However, if the other stuff wasn't done right (space, controls, features, performance, etc.) it wouldn't have won on looks alone. This car isn't perfect, but it sure comes close to being the complete package.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know how many of you are looking at Infiniti but if the next production QX50 is anything like the concept, it could mean leaving the Disco for this one Japanese SUV. But of course the difference is the Disco is here and the QX50 has a while to go, still, it's on my radar:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Don't know how many of you are looking at Infiniti but if the next production QX50 is anything like the concept, it could mean leaving the Disco for this one Japanese SUV. But of course the difference is the Disco is here and the QX50 has a while to go, still, it's on my radar:
Does QX50 have 3 row seats ? I have a friend looking for a 3 row seating crossover. She is looking at the Discovery and the Lexus.....

·
Registered
588 Posts
My Wife. She did not like the look of the Honda Pilot. lol
how funny - my wife loves the Honda Pilot but the card that trumped it was the Discovery's 4WD system and torque vectoring - something the Pilot does not have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
how funny - my wife loves the Honda Pilot but the card that trumped it was the Discovery's 4WD system and torque vectoring - something the Pilot does not have.
Mine claimed she didn't want a 5th Honda in the house. :|
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid, 2014 Honda Accord Coupe (for the daughter), 2010 Honda Sabre motorcycle, 2003 Honda Super Blackbird CBR1100XX

But I know she just didn't like the Pilot cause of the looks. >:D

-AJ

·
Registered
590 Posts
We wanted something sized right, versatile, very well equipped and far more capable than others in its class with great on and off road driving manners. The Disco Sport was perfect. Plus, its one of the best looking small SUVs (or any SUV) Ive ever seen and you dont see a DS at every stop light. It got a little deeper than that and there was many of the same reasons 2FLY & MGLarry mentioned as well. (Wife loved the Evoque but it was too small. She loved the Wrangler more, but I had trouble justifying the price tag for a Jeep.)
We've always admired Land Rovers and we figured it would be the perfect opportunity to get one. So we did.

We are very active people so we've used the DS to its max capacity and towards its full capabilities more than the vast majority of typical owners would do. So far it has worked for its intended purpose VERY well. The downside is that we have found it less than reliable. It hasn't left us stranded on the side of the road but its had some warnings and a check engine light, it left us without the use of climate control on a ski trip. Its had a few small recalls and service bulletins. However, I just dont feel confident in it anymore. At this time the DS has been completely sorted and everything works as it should but it will take time for me to get confident and trust this vehicle for many more adventures, so for now its relegated to light duty things that most Land Rovers normally are purchased to do... go to work, grocery store, errands and run the kids to school and practice It will stay that way until it proves otherwise.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My 2007 Jeep Wrangler 4dr was acting up with a strange electrical gremlin. It was time to do something since the warranty was gone and the aftermarket warranty would not cover the electrical issues that were eating batteries.

Although I loved my Jeep I could not justify buying another and then would "need" to lift it and other mods like I previously had done. Although fun... Costly.

I drove EVRYTHING that had all wheel or 4-wheel drive options. I like driving on the beach. I wanted to like the Audi's but something made me uncomfortable driving them.

I was VERY close to buying a new Honda Pilot. I loved the third row and cabin space. I also was intrigued by the terrain driving system as well as the 9 speed engine upgrade.

My wife said she thought we may be able to afford the Land Rover. She knew that was always a dream, but I had no idea it was a possibility.

When I got to the dealership, the salesperson was waiting for me since my wife stopped earlier. The salesperson said my wife said I had a cherokee which was more aligned with the disco... But seeing my Wrangler she said lets take an LR4 out. I drove it... It was okay... I looked at the sticker as I got out.... My stomach had a queasy feeling and I apologized for waisting her time. She said no worries, lets see the Disco and she showed me that sticker... I truely liked it more than the LR4 and Evoque.

All was said and done, the disco was comparable in price to the Honda Pilot and just felt more luxurious and looked nicer.... The third row (however minimally useful) sold me as well as it's offroad capability and luxurious feel and drive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hahahah yea, I need to wash the mud off today, its pretty caked on the body and roof :p

As far as towing. I have been nothing but pleased at how stable the disco sport is towing a single axle 16ft vintage camper weighing in around 2200lbs. I'm going to post another thread regarding brake controller wiring and how the hitch looks. I haven't seen any other docs...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts