Discovery Sport Forum banner

Went in for recall services and list of complaints - now happy all resolved!

19K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  4sallypat 
#1 ·
After a year of having the DS, I finally went into my selling dealer's service dept for a list of warranty / recall campaigns (sunglass holder, license plate lights, powertrain control module, NLI phase, and second row seat creak).

I also had a list of complaints (laggy engine, navigation failures & fuel gauge false levels) as well and believe it or not - the dealer addressed all of them and now the car drives better than new!

No more rattles from the rear seats, no more lag in the engine, no more slow to respond infotainment, no more false fuel gauge reading, and best of all, a reliable working navigation that no longer keeps saying "SD Card Error".....

The car runs so much better - performs just as well as the Evoque loaner that I had for weeks.... No more lag in the accelerator to engine connection - snaps to gear and gets moving much better now. Feels like a new car!

The infotainment system is much faster, turns on each time I turn on the car and responds to my touch on the soft keys so much better.

However, in the process of updating the infotainment, all my bluetooth devices (phones) were wiped as well as my radio station settings....

So get your DS into your dealer for the warranty work as well as the recall campaigns!:D

Well worth the time they take to address all my issues - gotta love the DS again!

See less See more
#2 ·
Good for you. I pick mine up tomorrow for the fourth time hoping they got everything fixed this time.

They told me they couldn't get text messaging to work for my iPhone 6S. It works for Android phones and the iPhone 7 but not the 6 or 6S. They tried all the phones from the Dealership staff. I guess I will have to talk to Land Rover again and see what their plan is? Pay the difference for a upgrade to a iPhone 7, compensate me for a feature that doesn't work or what!

#4 ·
I am going to bring the DS in to the dealer for some work - is there any specific service code I should mention for all those things you had done? I've already done the license plate light and I don't have a second row creak to begin with.

But I definitely want them to address the powertrain and NLI.

#5 ·
Here they are:
Fuel Gauge calibration: perform instructions in bulletin LTB00830NAS1, and calibrate
instrument pack.

Powertrain update: refer to UPS5316
CAUSE: Q607C
129013 TUNE - DOWNLOAD - ENGINE MANAGEMENT ECU
997036 WL
020202 CONSTANT ALLOWANCE - SEPARATE VEHICLE

Incontrol Touch update (Infotainment):
Q632 NLI PHASE 3.0
CAUSE: Q632B.
869115 INCONTROL TOUCH - NLI - AUDIO FRONT
CONTROL MODULE - CONFIGURE

2nd row seat creak:
Q631 2ND ROW SEAT RUNNERS CREAK
CAUSE: Q631B.
78858967 REAR SEAT (SECOND ROW) FRAME - CREAKING
- REPAIR
997036 WL

Navigation SD card error:
"SD CARD READ
ERROR". CHECK AND ADVISE
CAUSE: .
865069 SOCKET - AUXILIARY INPUT - RENEW
997036 WL
1 LR085516 SOCKET - INTERFA
762500 SHOP TIME
997036 WL
found older version of sd card reader. attempt to remove sd card
reader, but found electrical harness too short to unplug without
removing upper floor console. remove shift console and cup holder for
access to sd card reader connections (dw time). replace sd card reader
and refit cup holder, and shift module. test system. ok.

#7 ·
I'm really curious about the powertrain and Infotainment updates. I don't have any real issues (that I know of;)), but wonder if those updates would improve my DS. Hard to know whether acceleration could be better without something to compare it to - but can't complain for a 4 cylinder turbo on a relatively heavy vehicle (accelerates better with less turbo lag than the Mazda CX-7 I had several years ago).

My biggest issues with Infotainment regards no scan function and scanning between presets instead of all stations (discussed in previous threads), and the "load" time it takes for satellite stations to come on when starting up (not long, about 15-20 seconds or so, but still a bit annoying). Not sure if the update would address those issues (after all, it's just a computer - should be able to reprogram those things, right?)

#8 ·
The powertrain update is AMAZING! New car feel - peppier engine, fast throttle, quick RPM changes.
After this update, the car feels more like my BMW - 4 cylinder 528i....

As for the Infotainment, I noticed a much faster input key touch cycle for the Navigation.
As for the radio, it's still slow and laggy - I don't mind it all.

I'm just happy with the uber reliable navigation that works each and every time....

#9 ·
Went in dealers mid October for recall work on leaky boot, rattley rear boot cover & rear seat the dealer also did a software update. On way home from dealer "AEB Initialising" warning came up. As it's only a warning I thought - It'll clear when it sorts itself. After two days still coming up & not clearing. Rang dealer to get advice from technician. After checking work card he said it would have to go back to workshop to get AEB re-callibrated - apparently need doing after software update. Been in dealers three weeks now & still no sign of solution. Hopefully it will benefit from the engine & power train tweaks that everyone seems to have noticed - I'll look out for them when I get it back. Brand new Big Disco loan car is fine but a bit big for round village.

#11 ·
Curious as to which DSs may need, and which may already have based on production dates. I bought mine at the end of August (though not sure when built) - so would I need/benefit from the powertrain update?

#13 ·
pretty annoyed. Went into the service dept yesterday, expecting to get the Powertrain update. Discovered that my VIN fell outside of the date range for the update, so I basically went in for nothing.

I wish the service coordinator told me this ahead of time, saving me a 45 min trip. It all started with him telling me about the "PO91" update, which is when the car accidentally slips into neutral. Found out that my VIN wasn't eligible for that, either (not a bad thing, but still . . . the coordinator needs to get his head back in the game). I really really wanted the powertrain update!

#15 ·
Do you have a way to determine production date? Is it in the VIN (or on the tag in the door frame - hadn't looked there)?

#19 ·
Just 3 months before mine.
Yours should have qualified for the powertrain update.

Contact another JLR dealer service dept with your VIN and find out for sure ....

#22 ·
Thanks so much for posting this 4sallypat!! I would've had no idea these updates existed

I just picked up my 2016 DS with all the recall work done. A couple of highlights:

Transmission is much much smoother. AND my biggest issue was that when slowing prior to a 90 degree turn and then accelerating again, the engine would be terribly unresponsive. This is gone, it works great now. If you haven't gotten this upgrade, take your car in now.

The radio presets can be toggled through using the steering wheel! Little victory, but great quality of life improvement.

Infotainment significantly faster response.

I've always loved my DS, but these updates make me very happy!

Cheers!

#23 ·
OMG - not another post about Infotainment presets?!?! There seems to be huge inconsistencies over what we are seeing. I had mine in for service about 3 weeks ago, which included updates - and I can not scan/toggle through presets :( Has there been a more recent Infotainment update???

#28 ·
OMG - not another post about Infotainment presets?!?! There seems to be huge inconsistencies over what we are seeing. I had mine in for service about 3 weeks ago, which included updates - and I can not scan/toggle through presets
Has there been a more recent Infotainment update???
I got the 3.0 version installed.

My sound system is the "audio upgrade". Meridian wasn't an option when I was buying. I believe the two meridian options are all that are available now...the weird upgrade they offered initially seems to be gone per the builder tool on the website and must have been replaced by the lower tier meridian.

Did you check the audio settings? I think i saw a checkbox for something that might allow you to toggle between scrolling presets and stations. Not sure though...

#25 ·
I have the upgraded audio option ($800) which allows steering wheel scrolling using the left/right arrows for XM satellite, FM, AM, USB sources.
- upgraded means:
- not the base
- not the pricey Meridian.

Guess it's the inbetween sound system ???

#26 ·
The in-between system is Meridian branded here in Canada. It's a $375 option and has 11 speakers (base system has 10). The more expensive 17 speaker Meridian option ($2,900) is bundled with InControl Touch Pro Navigation and Services.

So, at least here in Canada, it seems that any audio upgrade involves Meridian.

#27 ·
I have the mid-range Infotainment, which I believe is Meridian as well (but not the high dollar unit). I do not have the ability to scan/toggle through presets.

I mentioned before (I think in this thread - but they all start to blend) that I had an Evoque loaner (not sure which trim, but was not high level trim). That had a Meridian radio, but not satellite, and I could scan/toggle through the presets on the Evoque... Not sure how that helps anyone here, but it was fun to type :)

#29 ·
Hi,
I went into the dealership with my '16 DS (7 Month on the road, 5000 miles ) with check engine light on and needing all the recalls listed in this thread. The DS is in the shop since Sat. (5 days already) and no solution in sight - they claim they did all the software updates and half way into one of the recalls the DS computer died on them leaving the whole car system down with no way to recover or even turn on the car - Now they are waiting on the guys from the UK to provide them with a software patch to recover it - very disappointing experience - I thought that after many years Landrover will figure things out and do better than 10 years ago with the car systems :( .
Although I enjoy driving a loaner Evoque it is time for me to get my Disco back.
Did anyone face similar issue/problems during service/ recalls?

#30 ·
Mine was in the service dept for 2 days for the list of updates as well as my complaint items and the Evoque loaner was nice to try a different car out.

Then it was in the shop for another 2 weeks while they repaired an accident it had - the porter drove it into an overhang. The repairs were amazing - could not tell it had an accident - the service dept used an authorized JLR body shop and it showed.

These things happen and in the last 30+ years of driving different cars, it's bound to encounter bad luck...

Discosal, I wouldn't worry about the DS getting fixed eventually. Just be patient and thank them for at least giving you a loaner not paid out of your pocket like some other brands....

I was worried about reliability with the brand as it is the first time I ventured off the BMW path into the Land Rover brand. But now that I have it, I am quite pleased and the DS drive makes me smile every time I drive her. My service and sales dealer is just awesome and they really care unlike the horror stories I have heard from other JLR dealers.

I would return to the brand for sure!

#31 ·
Just to close the loop on my experience, after a week in the dealer and also after replacing the battery module as it failed the whole car during the software upgrades the DS is now working like a charm, it seems like the multiple software upgrades did it all and now the DS is accelerating nicely with no lags or cuts and also in turns the engine is responsive as expected!
One thing that left unanswered to me (after chatting in length with the service agent at the dealership) - I drove a loaner Evoque for a week - and they are all claiming that it has the exact same engine+components under the hood + transmissions etc. so why the DS does not feel exactly like the Evoque - I'm referring to the engine behaviour, responsiveness etc. - The agent did acknowledge that difference and also pointed out that he had many similar conversations with other DS owners but he does not have a good answer/explanation for that. One thing I could think about is the weight of the car - the DS weight more than the Evoque - I wonder what else can influence the driving feeling if all mechanical parts are exactly the same....
I found on the web also the following comparison notes:
On the road, the Evoque stands out by feeling nimbler, quicker and more tossable than its Discovery Sports stablemate. In fact, the Evoque almost feels like a sporty hatchback with some extra ground clearance, as its turbocharged engine provides more than enough power for virtually all situations, and its small sizing is good for zipping through traffic and fitting into tight parking spaces.
By comparison, the Discovery Sport feels more like a traditional SUV. Though it uses the same engine as the Evoque, the Discovery Sport's larger size and extra weight mean it isn't as spry off the line or as nimble through the corners. That isn't necessarily a bad thing since it's not exactly slow to accelerate or sloppy when turning -- but it doesn't have the performance-SUV feel that you get from the Evoque.

#32 ·
The biggest reason for the difference between the Evoque and Discovery is that the software map is different due to towing.

Towing ability on the Discovery is huge compared to the Evoque. Think of the Evoque as a passenger sports car while the Discovery is a SUV sports car....

It's no wonder I see Discovery sports on the road towing small to medium boat trailers but never see an Evoque towing anything more than a jet ski.

That's why the Evoque feels different than the Discovery even with the same engine & chassis.
;)

#34 ·
Wow! Brought my DS in this week for recalls/enhancements. Performed nine different recalls including the ECU engine tune update. I feel like I'm driving a different car now! Engine performance greatly improved with this update. Having to relearn how to drive the car with a much more responsive accelerator now.

Incidentally, included in the recalls was replacement of the sunglass holder above the dash. Mine frequently would not latch close and would pop open all the time. Apparently the problem is widespread enough that there is now a formal recall to address.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.