Discovery Sport Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Petcha - installing roof rails is not that challenging - I'd give it a shot if I were you (already did mine myself) and save the dealer labor $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
590 Posts
For anyone still looking to do this, I got a $100 off JLR accessory promo email a few days ago. It puts the price at my local dealer to the same as the invoice posted on this thread ($465). So, check your promo folder if you're interested in this...

I'm still debating. I don't want to pay for their service and I suck at mechanical stuff. We'll see...
I have not seen this email. I could really use that $100 off for a tow hitch.

Oh well, as for the rails and cross bars, I just ordered some Chinese knock offs on ebay. I got a set of black rails and a set of black cross bars for $475.00 free shipping. Ill let you guys know how they look and perform when they get here. They both look identical to the LR parts but the bonus is that the cross bars are black...you can only get silver from LR.
Im cautiously optimistic.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I have not seen this email. I could really use that $100 off for a tow hitch.

Oh well, as for the rails and cross bars, I just ordered some Chinese knock offs on ebay. I got a set of black rails and a set of black cross bars for $475.00 free shipping. Ill let you guys know how they look and perform when they get here. They both look identical to the LR parts but the bonus is that the cross bars are black...you can only get silver from LR.
Im cautiously optimistic.
Yes do let us know because you never know they may be the same as the dealer parts - just taken off the assembly line in China ??

Are there Land Rover logos or part numbers on the bars & rails ???

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes do let us know because you never know they may be the same as the dealer parts - just taken off the assembly line in China ??

Are there Land Rover logos or part numbers on the bars & rails ???
I just ordered them yesterday so when I get them I'll report back. But I studied pictures of the LR parts compared to these and they are literally identical. So we'll see once they get here. I did confirm that the rails will work for the pano roof.
I hope they work fine, it would be a big time score if they do. :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Installed this evening. Very high quality parts. These are obviously from the same manufacturer. Installation was easy, all hardware are exactly like the Land Rover items. I'll post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Installed this evening. Very high quality parts. These are obviously from the same manufacturer. Installation was easy, all hardware are exactly like the Land Rover items. I'll post pics tomorrow.
DiscoDisco...thanks for this. Looking forward to seeing teh pics. In the meantime would you be so kind to post the ebay link you purchased these from. There are so many vendors out there and wanted to ensure that i am looking at the right vendor.

Thanks much!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
This sounds like you got the actual OEM dealer parts by cutting out the distributor and dealer markup!

Great find DiscoDisco - must share this eBay seller's info so that others can get a better deal than the dealers...

·
Registered
590 Posts
This sounds like you got the actual OEM dealer parts by cutting out the distributor and dealer markup!

Great find DiscoDisco - must share this eBay seller's info so that others can get a better deal than the dealers...
Yep, I didnt want to share their info until I got the items, installed them and made sure fit and finish was legit. So far, I am extremely pleased. I ran out of time to get some decent pics yesterday and its been raining all day today.

I got them from kincherauto on Ebay.
kingcherauto on eBay

I did the best offer option, explained that I was buying both items together and he gave me a few chances to arrive at a deal we both could live with.

I got the roof rails for $320.00 and the cross bars for $155.00 free shipping.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yep, I didnt want to share their info until I got the items, installed them and made sure fit and finish was legit. So far, I am extremely pleased. I ran out of time to get some decent pics yesterday and its been raining all day today.

I got them from kincherauto on Ebay.
kingcherauto on eBay

I did the best offer option, explained that I was buying both items together and he gave me a few chances to arrive at a deal we both could live with.

I got the roof rails for $320.00 and the cross bars for $155.00 free shipping.
Wow, what an excellent deal you got plus they are the genuine LR parts to boot!:)

Thanks for sharing the eBay seller's name.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Wow, what an excellent deal you got plus they are the genuine LR parts to boot!:)

Thanks for sharing the eBay seller's name.
Well let me be clear. These do not say Land Rover anywhere on them but they are high quality and exactly like the LR parts. I pulled the online LR installation instructions in order to get the torque specs and they are identical parts right down to even the plastic spacer wedges for the roof rail mounts. However, I can not claim that they are genuine LR parts.
When I say legit, I mean that the fit and finish are very good and they are very high quality knock offs. So close that the difference in price makes them a no brainer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Finally took the plunge and splurged on some roof rails. I installed them myself, mostly thanks to members of this forum posting helpful hints and following the instructions (which are pretty easy). I'm not an overly mechanical person and I rarely ever DIY, but these were really easy to install. If I can do it, pretty much anyone can :) I think the dealer quoted me $300-400 for labor, which is insanity. Cost me $506 after sales tax and a $100 promotion I received in january.

Took me ~1 hr to complete. I only needed a socket wrench and used a butter knife to gently pop the existing pieces off. The only tricky part was that the spacers didn't quite work for me, I had to make a couple of small adjustments on the back section before I got everything to line up right. No big deal, just took a little extra time and patience!

Crappy garage pic, but too lazy to go outside. I love the aesthetics of these, they add a subtle element of dimension to the roof line that looks great.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
Finally took the plunge and splurged on some roof rails. I installed them myself, mostly thanks to members of this forum posting helpful hints and following the instructions (which are pretty easy). I'm not an overly mechanical person and I rarely ever DIY, but these were really easy to install. If I can do it, pretty much anyone can :) I think the dealer quoted me $300-400 for labor, which is insanity. Cost me $506 after sales tax and a $100 promotion I received in january.

Took me ~1 hr to complete. I only needed a socket wrench and used a butter knife to gently pop the existing pieces off. The only tricky part was that the spacers didn't quite work for me, I had to make a couple of small adjustments on the back section before I got everything to line up right. No big deal, just took a little extra time and patience!

Crappy garage pic, but too lazy to go outside. I love the aesthetics of these, they add a subtle element of dimension to the roof line that looks great.

Nice Job! It is helpful to have a torque wrench. I went ahead and torqued them to specs. But its not a huge deal.
Youre right they add a little panache to the roofline.

BTW I dig the Ridley!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
eBay is one place - direct from China = cheapest
Rocklin Land Rover - dealer with lowest price in the USA = second lowest

Part number depends on your roof if you have the Pano roof or not....

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
For Pano glass roofs:

Black:
Stock#: VPLCR0136 (1.3)

Silver:
Stock#: VPLCR0137

Niello Land Rover in Rocklin CA is the best priced dealer!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks to everyone on this thread (especially @DiscoDisco) for saving me hundreds of dollars I would've spent at the dealer! I purchased the rails from kingcherauto on EBay for $240; they are as well manufactured as I could've hoped. However, as my DS doesn't have a pano roof, the ditch finishers were also necessary; there are no knockoff finishers to be bought and they cost north of $200 at the dealer. I figured that I'd deal with that hurdle when I finished installing the rails, which turned out to be the right decision. In the process, I found out that the finishers were made of a plate of aluminum, wrapped in a plastic shell: this explains the astronomical cost of what I thought where "two strips of plastic". After some cutting and sanding, the original ditch finishers on the car were able to fit; it's not a perfect but it should do the job. After lurking around this thread, I also purchased a set of ROLA 59828 crossbars, which work great.

Again, to everyone that participated in this thread: a profound thank you.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts