Discovery Sport Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks! I'm 90% sure this is the setup I'm gonna go with. As I was searching for the Rolas, I was finding them for the X5, nothing for the Disco.
Remember, the roof cross bars are different lengths so make sure the correct length goes to the correct end of the car.

I forgot which went where, but play with the adjustment ends....

As is, the bars are very low profile but if you plan on putting using a clamp mount from the carrier, do be careful about the clearance of the clamps.
If you are using T Channel mounting, then the low profile will be just fine as there is nothing wrapping around the Rola cross bars....;)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I don't have the part number, but the Rola bars are the ones that fit the 2001-2007 BMW X5.
Rola isn't very good about updating their webpages and does not list them to fit the newer X5 (2008-2013).
I have had both BMWs from 2002 to current (2013) so they have served me very well for over 14 years now.
It's very nice to see they fit the DS too.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am thinking about getting the same cross bar but putting on a Yakima 16 skybox. Would it be too low and too heavy for the bar to support when I load up the gear? The last thing I want is a cracked panaroof. Any suggestion on how this crossbar would hold?

Thanks!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I am thinking about getting the same cross bar but putting on a Yakima 16 skybox. Would it be too low and too heavy for the bar to support when I load up the gear? The last thing I want is a cracked panaroof. Any suggestion on how this crossbar would hold?

Thanks!
The cross bars from Rola are very strong (extruded aluminum) and very low profile.
The held up a large Mercedes long box for a 1500 mile journey very well at highway speeds.

The bars' bolts may interfere with the clearance of the pano roof, so make sure you get a set that does not protrude.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any chance you could help me figure out how to extend the rear Rola to fit? I've extended the top strap fully and am trying to fit as far back as possible as it's narrower but I'm still about an inch short. Is there a way to extend even more? I don't see anything on the Rola instructions. Photo of mine is here...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ended up getting the yakima timberline of the the cross bar as the Rola just sits too low and the clamps on the roof box is basically hitting the panoroof even with nothing in the roof box. What I notice is that Rola does create some howl wind noise when travel at speed which the Yakima timberline with the core bar is actually pretty silent with very little wind noise on the free ways.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Any chance you could help me figure out how to extend the rear Rola to fit? I've extended the top strap fully and am trying to fit as far back as possible as it's narrower but I'm still about an inch short. Is there a way to extend even more? I don't see anything on the Rola instructions. Photo of mine is here...
The bars are different lengths - one is made for the front, the other is for the rear. Try switching front to rear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The bars are different lengths - one is made for the front, the other is for the rear. Try switching front to rear.
I already tried this.. the bars are labeled front and rear. The longer one goes up front where the rails are further apart and *just* fits. The shorter, rear bar just isn't long enough so unless I'm missing something and it can be extended in some other way, I'll probably have to return it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Which ROLA model did you get ?
There are different models for the BMW - X3 or X5 version?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

·
Registered
5 Posts
I checked and I have the ROLA PART NUMBER 59828 made for the BMW X5 (E53) which is my first X5, then I transferred it to the second gen BMW X5 (E70) and finally onto the LR Discovery Sport.

Yours is a different model number by 1 digit....
Aha! That's very helpful. The good news is that Amazon stocks the 59828 so I'll order that now.

Will let the thread know how I get on but thanks for checking!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Folks,

now that I'm more confident that the car will continue to work I have decided to invest in roof rails. Per 4sallypat's advice (which was awesome), I went to Land Rover Rocklin, picked up roof rails and installed them myself.

Then I went to REI and TheRackSpot to get cross bars and they did not have Rolas. So I had to look at other brands. After we dug in, they were very uncomfortable selling me anything because the fit guides online (Yakima, Thule, Inno, Rhino) all say the Disco Sport is not supported. The retailers tell me this means there is no warranty on any of these parts.

So I defaulted to coming back here, and trying to order 4sallypat's exact parts on Amazon. But something they told me stuck - the fact that the disco roof rails and very low profile, and that most roof racks will have nails, attachments get very close to the roof.

What they're saying is that you go over a bump and the ski bindings will punch into the roof and damage it.

From your pictures it looks the rolas are very low profile (which is gorgeous), but also means that the bindings are dangerously close to the pano roof. So just a small bump at highway speeds could break the roof?

The ONLY approved parts I could find apart from the Land Rover accessories was from Whispbar in the UK. http://www.whispbar.co.uk/products/4/flush-bar. But nobody REI or RackSpot don't seem to be able to sell me this product! They want me to convert it to S46, S45 etc. I don't know how to do that.

One way is to buy and try and return one by one. Anyone with prior experience please share so I can save some time on this...?
Dang I was almost ready to hit "add to cart" on Amazon to buy the Rolas...then I thought I'd go through this thread again and saw this. 4sallypat, what do you think about this? I'd love to get the Rola bars, the price is excellent and they look fantastic, but I'd hate them to be too close to the pano roof...

I've run across the Thule Aeroblades, which seem to sit a bit higher but they are hard to find in black.

·
Registered
590 Posts
After looking at the load ratings I think I better go with the Thule Aeroblades after all. I keep seeing 110LBS for the Rola and 165LBS for the Thule. They don't have to be the absolute beefiest bars but I think we should probably have some a little more beefy than the Rolas.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hey 4Sallypat, I just found this thread. Its got the info I need. Disregard the PM please. Since our Disco is not going to see a lot of out of town trips anymore, I think I can get away with the Rolas instead of the Thule. We are not going to haul a bunch of gear or Kayaks like we had planned before, see above post about capacity concerns, We'll have just bikes mostly so the Rolas should be good.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
The model I have is PART NUMBER 59828

Had to add 1/2" thick rubber pads to lift the rails to prevent them from touching the roof glass.

·
Registered
139 Posts
For anyone still looking to do this, I got a $100 off JLR accessory promo email a few days ago. It puts the price at my local dealer to the same as the invoice posted on this thread ($465). So, check your promo folder if you're interested in this...

I'm still debating. I don't want to pay for their service and I suck at mechanical stuff. We'll see...

41 - 60 of 87 Posts