Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my '16 DS back to the dealer for some warranty work which was more than what the representative originally stated.

In addition to my complaints:
  • Fuel level is off by 4 gallons
  • Navigation works about 50% of the time
The service advisor listed these warranty line items:
Q591 - Sunglass holder latch
P077 - Rear license plate lamp
Q607 - GTDI Powertrain control module update (UPS5316)
Q632 - NLI Phase 3.0
Q631 - 2nd Row seats creak

Got a nice loaner in the meantime - loaded HSE Evoque.

The loaner has a peppier engine without lag, better seats, better ride, firm chassis, and better electronics.

I love the blind side warning and reverse cross traffic warning system and wish mine had that!

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
My '16 Disoc HSE also has the blind side warning (with closing vehicle sensor) and cross traffic warning (this has saved my bacon a couple of times!).

The turbo lag takes some getting used to. But, I had a Mazda CX-7 several years ago with turbo, and that lag was glacial!

I didn't go with the Evoque primarily because of size. I felt cramped inside, and there wasn't nearly as much cargo space. Plus, while it wasn't necessary (and I haven't used it yet), the 3rd row can be really handy when you kiddos to haul around

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke to the dealer service rep and he said the Evoque and Disco have different software maps / tune which differs from the intended use of the cars.

The Evoque has less low end torgue and therefore quicker off the line which I noticed is nice but can't tow like the Disco.

The Disco has more low end torque and can tow which explains why the takeoff the line has a lag.

Yes, I bought the Disco because of the 3 row seats as well...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Interesting about the tuning. I wonder if you weren't interested in towing if you could have the Disco tuned like the Evoque for better acceleration off the line...

My Disco has a lot more options than a comparably priced Evoque (heated/ventilated front seats, 360 camera, adaptive headlights, etc.) which I really like.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks for this thread 4sallypat. I dropped mine off on Thursday for a low coolant warning. Its dropped considerably lately and I have been getting a whiff of coolant smell in the garage, but no signs of puddles on the floor. They are checking for leaks. Ive also been getting a low battery warning. Also my rear window wiper started acting up again.

What's frustrating is that I asked if there were any other updates or warranty issues and he said no. The fact that they dont seem to want to do any warranty updates unless you ask DRIVES ME FREAKING NUTS! So I just emailed him the items you listed. Ill see what he has to say about it.

If indeed my Disco needs these updates, Im going to have a pow wow with the service manager as to why the Hayell they are not forthcoming about these things.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I didn't go with the Evoque primarily because of size. I felt cramped inside, and there wasn't nearly as much cargo space. Plus, while it wasn't necessary (and I haven't used it yet), the 3rd row can be really handy when you kiddos to haul around
We originally considered an Evoque too. My wife really wanted it but I had to overrule her on it because it was just too small. The Disco Sport had just come out...literally...and Im so glad we were able to find it when we did. Its been the perfect size for us.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I spoke to the dealer service rep and he said the Evoque and Disco have different software maps / tune which differs from the intended use of the cars.

The Evoque has less low end torgue and therefore quicker off the line which I noticed is nice but can't tow like the Disco.

The Disco has more low end torque and can tow which explains why the takeoff the line has a lag.

Yes, I bought the Disco because of the 3 row seats as well...
Yeah I got an Evoque loaner as well....but its a base model...GRRRRR..LOL! But yeah its a little more peppy than our DS.

The Evoque and the DS may have slightly different torque and HP curves...if they are different its only slightly. I dont think their low end torque is all that much different. I just feel the shift mapping is better on the Evoque. I just dont buy that there's that much different in the power delivery. I would also be very interested in knowing what gear ratios they have respectively. Just out of curiosity.

Interestingly, the Evoque is getting a little less average MPGs than our DS which is surprising because its a lighter vehicle. But then if it has a little shorter gears than the DS, that could explain the slightly extra launch and pep...and a little less MPGs.
On the other hand the DS cant have too much taller gears because it does technically have the ability to tow.

I just dont know...its like an enigma wrapped in a mystery. LOL! And driving this Evoque has really got me thinking about what the differences really are.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I got an Evoque loaner as well....but its a base model...GRRRRR..LOL! But yeah its a little more peppy than our DS.

The Evoque and the DS may have slightly different torque and HP curves...if they are different its only slightly. I dont think their low end torque is all that much different. I just feel the shift mapping is better on the Evoque. I just dont buy that there's that much different in the power delivery. I would also be very interested in knowing what gear ratios they have respectively. Just out of curiosity.

Interestingly, the Evoque is getting a little less average MPGs than our DS which is surprising because its a lighter vehicle. But then if it has a little shorter gears than the DS, that could explain the slightly extra launch and pep...and a little less MPGs.
On the other hand the DS cant have too much taller gears because it does technically have the ability to tow.

I just dont know...its like an enigma wrapped in a mystery. LOL! And driving this Evoque has really got me thinking about what the differences really are.
Yes, I noticed the lower MPG on the lighter weight Evoque over the DS.

I do miss the room that the DS has over the Evoque. The Evoque feels like a tiny subcompact crossover like a Kia while the DS feels more like a small SUV like a Ford Expedition.

But the Evoque power curve seems to be geared to quicker shifting, turbo feel - with more sports car like feel.

While DS seems to feel turbo-less as if it is ready to stay in lower gears to help the tow ability like my old Mercedes R350 SUV with a naturally aspirated engine....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts