Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2015 disco 5. My current tire is a 235/55/R19. I want BFG Ko2 but they don’t seem to offer a 19”. I’ve looked for OEM wheels in sizes 18” or 20” but I don’t want to pay 2 grand for wheels. Any suggestions on what tire to buy, anyone selling OEM wheels, or where to buy OEM wheels?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought OEM Evoque wheels for $300 on eBay. The prior owner shipped the wheels in the aftermarket replacement boxes. I got a great deal, but many offers for less than $800 are always available. We installed Blizzak DM-V2 255/55 R18’s. We plan to swap them over to the KO2 tires after these wear out. I purchased OEM tire sensors to install. I found a set of four at around $90.
I have posted pics of our car with both installed if you search my past posts.
I had also looked for aftermarket options, but they all looked lighter duty than OEM versions. I assume you are planning off-road use with the KO2’s and might need to keep the same thing in mind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes they are a little shorter at 55 vs 60 but they are the K02 and look very aggressive. I live in the Tampa area. Where are you? $500 plus shipping (I will shop around for the best quote).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m in the Memphis area.
500-wheels and tires. (Plus shipping)
Let me think on it due to the size.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I may be interested if these 18s are still available.
Im in Northern CA. Zip code: 94588 Can you check estimated shipping cost?
-Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't want to offend anyone who has BFG's and likes them, but I wish I'd never fitted them to my DS. The KO2s are a very good off-road tire, but it is that very toughness that makes them unsuitable for a lightweight soft roader like the DS IMHO. The tire fitter did warn me they weren't really suitable for my car, but I got them anyway. But turns out he was right - they were difficult to balance (the DS is very sensitive to rotating mass even a little out of balance), noisy on the road, have killed my MPG, and have a very stiff sidewall so give an uncomfortable ride.

I now wish I'd got something a little less hardcore, with an aggressive tread that looks the biz and can take a bit of off-road, but a lighter and more flexible carcass that's more suitable for a car like the DS.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't want to offend anyone who has BFG's and likes them, but I wish I'd never fitted them to my DS. The KO2s are a very good off-road tire, but it is that very toughness that makes them unsuitable for a lightweight soft roader like the DS IMHO. The tire fitter did warn me they weren't really suitable for my car, but I got them anyway. But turns out he was right - they were difficult to balance (the DS is very sensitive to rotating mass even a little out of balance), noisy on the road, have killed my MPG, and have a very stiff sidewall so give an uncomfortable ride.

I now wish I'd got something a little less hardcore, with an aggressive tread that looks the biz and can take a bit of off-road, but a lighter and more flexible carcass that's more suitable for a car like the DS.
Do you have another tire that you would rather have?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm also looking for some all terrain tires for my DS and considering the KO2's. Mamil, when you say it "killed my MPG", can you be a bit more specific? I'm currently getting around 21 MPG (which is significantly better than the 14MPG I got on my old LR3). When you say uncomfortable ride, what are you experiencing? When you say noisy, how much - can you compare it with some other all terrain tires you've used in the past?

It's probably all relative. It's hard to believe that Land Rover would build a vehicle that is great for some off road driving, but can't be fitted with some good all terrain tires like the KO2's?

Anybody else out there with KO2's on their vehicle - or for that matter any other good all terrain tire - that can comment on how the vehicle drive on the highway?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also looking for some all terrain tires for my DS and considering the KO2's. Mamil, when you say it "killed my MPG", can you be a bit more specific? I'm currently getting around 21 MPG (which is significantly better than the 14MPG I got on my old LR3). When you say uncomfortable ride, what are you experiencing? When you say noisy, how much - can you compare it with some other all terrain tires you've used in the past?

It's probably all relative. It's hard to believe that Land Rover would build a vehicle that is great for some off road driving, but can't be fitted with some good all terrain tires like the KO2's?

Anybody else out there with KO2's on their vehicle - or for that matter any other good all terrain tire - that can comment on how the vehicle drive on the highway?

I lose about 3MPG with the KO2s, but direct comparisons with what you get are difficult as I have the diesel engine.
The side walls are very tough on the KO2s so the ride is stiffer and steering less compliant.
Distinct rumble at between 30 and 50 mph, but no worse than other 'hard core' A/T tires I've experienced.

In summary, in my experience putting KO2s (or any other brand of hard core A/T tire for that matter) on a DS compromises some of its car-like handling qualities. If you are aware of this but still need/want them then by all means go for it, they certainly handle the rough stuff well, and look the biz.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts