Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there - I have a 2016 HSE Lux disco sport (love it) and I'm up the back country a lot more than I thought. I have the 20in rims which have been kinda ok so far, but I'm really pushing my luck. I want to downgrade to 17 or 18in rims and get all terrain tires - possibly do the spring lift too.

But every time I go to tire sites and plug in discovery sport, there are very very few options. Has anyone bought smaller rims? If so what brand / model and where did you buy? I saw someone on this site got black rhino, but I can't seem to find ones that fit my car etc. Is the wheel config for all discovery sports the same? (HSE, HSE lux etc).

thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey there - I have a 2016 HSE Lux disco sport (love it) and I'm up the back country a lot more than I thought. I have the 20in rims which have been kinda ok so far, but I'm really pushing my luck. I want to downgrade to 17 or 18in rims and get all terrain tires - possibly do the spring lift too.

But every time I go to tire sites and plug in discovery sport, there are very very few options. Has anyone bought smaller rims? If so what brand / model and where did you buy? I saw someone on this site got black rhino, but I can't seem to find ones that fit my car etc. Is the wheel config for all discovery sports the same? (HSE, HSE lux etc).

thanks!
Unless you get some LR rims you may be better off getting 18's as the clearance required for the brakes will be an issue for most 17" wheels. Stud pattern and centre bore is the same across the range (5 x 108, and 63.4 mm) but I think rotor size may vary with the motors as some models are only available with 18" as the minimum.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Evoques came standard with 17in wheels in other parts of the world, which would fit the DS, though not in the US. Apparently LR thinks there’s no market for smaller rims here. Your best bet is to go with a set of 18s from a lower spec DS or Evoque as they are a straightforward swap. Certain Volvos and Fords share the bore and stud pattern, but you’ll have to mind the wheel offset (ET45).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks! so if I go for an 18in rim, are there offroad rims anyone would recommend to fit the DS?

·
Registered
18 Posts

thanks!
@m0x I have the Black Rhino's on mine. Following is my post from Feb 2019. You might find helpful. When I spoke with the installer they were able to search and offer options more quickly than I was able to figure out from websites. You could try an Off Road Warehouse or something similar. The combination of bolt pattern, size and bore severely limits the number of aftermarket options available to us. I've had no issues with 17in and the reason I went with them is because the Evoque and DS Sports are the same spec worldwide and as someone else pointed out you can get LR OEM 17in rims.

I've had these on now for 1.5years in all sorts of driving conditions with no issues. The Falken's are wearing well and I still intend to put the Eibach lift and slightly taller (possibly narrower) tires on when it needs new rubber. The DS is very capable little truck with the right rubber on it. More recent pic below.

All, I just put a set of 255/65/R17 on our 2017 DS. Working with the installer (Discount Tire) the max recommended outer diameter they could guarantee no rubbing was 30.12in. I don't know if this is recommended by Discount or by LR. I had in mind going with the 245/70R17 which give 30.5in outer diameter. I chose the Falkens instead of the BFGs because of the cost (50USD a corner + full size spare) and I read that the K02s are noisier than the Falkens.

By the way, my list of size calculations and available tires is below as is a picture of the installed tires.

I have not experienced any rubbing or contact in the last two weeks I've had them. The have a bit more road noise and a slight decrease in economy.

Keeping in mind you can probably get away with the 30.5in out diameter without a lift or spacers but you'll also decrease the usable travel and space in the wheel well for chains. (Though I'm not sure where you're going where you would need AT tires + chains.)
@Rob Bell to answer your question 17 or 18 there are a lot of good reasons to go with the smaller rim diameter to increase the amount of sidewall especially in situations where you might air down the tires, such as on sand. Larger sidewalls also give greater protection against pinching on hard obstacles. I live in SoCal so sand and rocks were my main concern.

With regards to width you actually gain more contact patch in a air down tire with greater diameter than by going a few cm wider. A wider tire also increases rolling resistance and will decrease economy all other things being equal. However, there is also the look, if you like that. IMO I like the tall narrow cookie cutter look.

You would also have to factor in the expense of getting a 17in rim. I went with the new Boxer from Black Rhino. Personally I think it looks the business.

Next time I need tires I will likely get a 2in lift and put taller tires on. Will you please let me know if you have any questions?

Best,
PH

·
Registered
45 Posts
@m0x I have the Black Rhino's on mine. Following is my post from Feb 2019. You might find helpful. When I spoke with the installer they were able to search and offer options more quickly than I was able to figure out from websites. You could try an Off Road Warehouse or something similar. The combination of bolt pattern, size and bore severely limits the number of aftermarket options available to us. I've had no issues with 17in and the reason I went with them is because the Evoque and DS Sports are the same spec worldwide and as someone else pointed out you can get LR OEM 17in rims.

I've had these on now for 1.5years in all sorts of driving conditions with no issues. The Falken's are wearing well and I still intend to put the Eibach lift and slightly taller (possibly narrower) tires on when it needs new rubber. The DS is very capable little truck with the right rubber on it. More recent pic below.

View attachment 7493
Love your roof setup! Very similar to mine :)

What awning do you have on the other side? It looks a good length for the rack. Mine sticks out a little, front and rear. Or am i mistaken?

·
Registered
6 Posts

thanks!
I ordered my DS HSE Sd4 with 18" rims. The standard tyres lasted 18 000kms and were not suited to outback travel. Now I have General Grabbers 235/60 R18 and, together with the Eibach spring lift, the vehicle is now great offroad and onroad, and has made the ordinary softroader into a vehicle that can compete with most serious 4WDs.
Would recommend this combo to anyone who wants to do offroading.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts