Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first thoughts on the Disco Sport's center console USB port was... ok... looks like I need to notch the console opening for my cable. 2nd, was to install an extension cable and route it on the passenger side (similar to the USB port I put on my Merc).

This is a simple task, took me a whole 5 minutes total! Damage, theres a new hole in the center console but I can plug it when I return the car... maybe.

Remove the Center console cover by pulling straight up. You can start with the rear and then move forward. I grabbed both sides with my hand and just gave it a solid yank...

Next get your stepper bit out a and drill a hole large enough for your USB cable end. I ran my vacuum while doing this to keep things clean.

Route your cable where you desire. Driver side is best if you're going under the hvac controls but you'll need to drill another hole. (See my subwoofer install for ref). I prefer the passenger floor side.

Install done!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice! The pinch in the cable bothers me as well, but I found that there's just enough space under the front of the lid (near the catch) for the cable to pass without getting pinched. Passing it out the side of the console does indeed pinch the cable.
I'm leasing my DS, so trying to keep the permanent mods to a minimum :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the steps. Forgive my ignorance... I am lost as to where you are bringing the extension... To the rear or the front passenger side?

Did you have USB ports in the rear of your Disco and did you have one in the center area by the cup holders?

I saw a 2017 with a USB conveniently located in the area above the glove box. I would like to add one there and also in front of the shifter.

I tried to install a wireless charging pad in front of the shifter (tenporary first to see if it would work) and it was not reliable enough with my Samsung phone. Too bumpy even in the rover.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The USB extension is to relocate the plug from the center console (media ports) to the front passenger side near the passenger front seat frame rail. I got tired of its location in the back and having to pull the cord forward. I might move it again to the front center pocket under the HVAC controls. If I do, ill take another photo.

You can relocate it anywhere you'd like, the DIY was to educate owners that removing the center console is pretty simple. The whole thing took < 10 mins.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts