Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Swapped out my 921 halogen reverse lights to LED. So much brighter!!! I read several posts on different forums about reverse light upgrades. Was finding it really dark when reversing and decided it was worth the effort. Amazon Prime and 5 minutes and a few bucks was all the effort it took!
I bought these on Amazon; someone else maybe on FB or the Aussie DS site had great luck with these:
Of course Amazon says they don't fit, but they do! They're CANBUS and anti-flicker and polarity doesn't matter. 6000K color matches car's other white exterior lights. The light scatter is amazing and illuminates the area nicely! Here's a side-by-side visual of 1/2 the job done:

(I have another post from a couple years ago of how I added switched LED lights to the loadspace, which you can see on in these pics.)
Here's a look at the product I settled on:

1) Pry out the access panels in the rear liftgate using a plastic pry tool.

2) Lefty-loosey the bulb-holder to disengage.

3) Yank the old light and press in the new one. A little bulb grease for good measure.

4) reassemble.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks! I’ll be ordering some tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
607 Posts
Very impressive! Anyone living in a dark area should investigate. There may be some law about how bright they can be in some area's. Thanks for the photos as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Very impressive! Anyone living in a dark area should investigate. There may be some law about how bright they can be in some area's. Thanks for the photos as well.
Thanks! You're absolutely right about confirming the legality of this upgrade. I've been falling down this rabbit hole a bit in researching aux. driving lamps (will post when I get them fitted) and want to share what I've found in regards to the reverse -- or backup -- lamps. I feel I'm OK in using these in my area; you have to fall down the hole pretty deep to find a discrepancy! But that doesn't speak for other countries or states.

Here in the USA, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Standard # 108 stipulates the Lighting Standards of vehicles. Search this document for "Backup" and see what you find:
From what I gather there is no maximum brightness stipulated (only a minimum), the color must be white, and it must be seen from 2ft to 6ft from the pavement at a minimum of 3ft behind and to the side of the vehicle.

For my location specifically -- State of Louisiana, USA -- it says this in standard RS 32:334 found here:
"No person shall [operate or] install upon or as part of the equipment of a motor vehicle, any head lamp, auxiliary or fog lamp, rear lamp, signal lamp, or reflector, or parts of any of the foregoing, which tend to change the original design or performance, unless the lamp or parts of the lamp is in compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, as adopted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."

For everyone who likes to geek out on this sort of thing, you can also search all those related and interesting SAE references and standards. It's neat to see how and when the standards and testing for all this were instituted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have just bought a Land Rover Discovery sport hse on a 2018 plate. It has xenon headlights and I was wanting to know if I can change the bulbs to led or upgrade them to brighter ones !!
thank you 😊

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.