Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2015 disco sport that just passed 67k. Few days ago, I notice that theres a whistle noise coming from the engine and the car started loosing power. I have a land Rover mechanic scan the vehicle and it shows that the car is under boost, and a replacement turbo is needed, he also mentioned that there are other small issues which telly up the total to be around $6k for the whole repair cost. I just can't muster paying this ridiculous amount knowing that there might be more trouble in the future. Just when I was thinking about selling the car, the car all of sudden came back to life again. The turbo no longer makes that whistle noise and the power is back. All I can think of is that I clean up the air filter. I am at a cross road wondering if I should continue driving the car, or sell it? Can anyone chime in if you are in similar situation?

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
562 Posts
The set up is slightly different but on a SAAB turbo I owned the bypass hose had come loose and it made a whistling sound. I tightened the hose and no more sound and power came back.

G

·
Any further information on this? My 61k 2016 Disco Sport also dropped in power and issued the P0299 CEL. Otherwise drives perfectly except the lack of power. I actually don't hear the turbo spooling up, but that could also be a stuck open wastegate. I did a visual of the hoses to the intercooler and they looked and felt fine--no rubbing, no holes that I could locate.

Anyone know where the wastegate control actuator is located? Easily accessed or only by a partial teardown?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem of Turbo whistle and feels that the car has lost its boost. it normally accelerate fine but I miss the boost it used to give … took the car to the dealership they changed the turbocharger with a new one …but still I hear the whistle and experience the lack of power. Any suggestions with some pictures would be helpful to solve this. I have a feeling that it is a minor issue somewhere in the hoses but I am not sure. The car has an Si4 EcoBoost petrol engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a 2015 disco sport that just passed 67k. Few days ago, I notice that theres a whistle noise coming from the engine and the car started loosing power. I have a land Rover mechanic scan the vehicle and it shows that the car is under boost, and a replacement turbo is needed, he also mentioned that there are other small issues which telly up the total to be around $6k for the whole repair cost. I just can't muster paying this ridiculous amount knowing that there might be more trouble in the future. Just when I was thinking about selling the car, the car all of sudden came back to life again. The turbo no longer makes that whistle noise and the power is back. All I can think of is that I clean up the air filter. I am at a cross road wondering if I should continue driving the car, or sell it? Can anyone chime in if you are in similar situation?
Hi - late to the show & not a direct answer to your note but might be of of interest - turbo replacement can be brought down to manageable cost - $2k instead of $5.5k
You can save $2.3k on the turbo part alone by purchasing it thru Amazon instead of LR - (search LR074185) and free issue it to your independent shop.

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
Years ago I had a turbo fail on a car, since it was years ago the dealer quoted around $2500 for a replacement. I went to a shop that specialized in turbo repairs for large trucks and they rebuilt it for just over $500 . Oh that was installed as well. Also go to a Ford shop as see what they price it at.

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
Oh a dirty filter will cause loss of power and boost so that would be the first thing to check. Also low quality fuel will also result in a loss of power

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I had an under boost code so I replaced my turbo. The new turbo is working properly by the sound but it seems like it’s building pressure quicker and fading off a lot quicker. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Turbo was replaced by a local shop and turbo replaced isn’t a stock one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2016, 91k miles. Just told turbo is out.

CEL came on in early April 2021, and thought it was the O2 sensor Land Rover recently sent out the extended warranty notice on 03/31/21.

Today, 05/29, dealership says the turbo is out. Cost to replace: 3k-4k.

Car runs fine and the big difference is the acceleration from stop/start and when trying to pass on highways.

It just feels like a typical four cylinder car when trying to accelerate, to be honest. No more 'sport' feeling.

Driven it for a month this way, over 1500 miles as I travel quite a bit in it. Not sure if I can keep driving it like this or just get it fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts