Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2015 disco sport that just passed 67k. Few days ago, I notice that theres a whistle noise coming from the engine and the car started loosing power. I have a land Rover mechanic scan the vehicle and it shows that the car is under boost, and a replacement turbo is needed, he also mentioned that there are other small issues which telly up the total to be around $6k for the whole repair cost. I just can't muster paying this ridiculous amount knowing that there might be more trouble in the future. Just when I was thinking about selling the car, the car all of sudden came back to life again. The turbo no longer makes that whistle noise and the power is back. All I can think of is that I clean up the air filter. I am at a cross road wondering if I should continue driving the car, or sell it? Can anyone chime in if you are in similar situation?

·
Super Moderator
360 Posts
The set up is slightly different but on a SAAB turbo I owned the bypass hose had come loose and it made a whistling sound. I tightened the hose and no more sound and power came back.

B

·
0 Posts
Any further information on this? My 61k 2016 Disco Sport also dropped in power and issued the P0299 CEL. Otherwise drives perfectly except the lack of power. I actually don't hear the turbo spooling up, but that could also be a stuck open wastegate. I did a visual of the hoses to the intercooler and they looked and felt fine--no rubbing, no holes that I could locate.

Anyone know where the wastegate control actuator is located? Easily accessed or only by a partial teardown?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem of Turbo whistle and feels that the car has lost its boost. it normally accelerate fine but I miss the boost it used to give … took the car to the dealership they changed the turbocharger with a new one …but still I hear the whistle and experience the lack of power. Any suggestions with some pictures would be helpful to solve this. I have a feeling that it is a minor issue somewhere in the hoses but I am not sure. The car has an Si4 EcoBoost petrol engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a 2015 disco sport that just passed 67k. Few days ago, I notice that theres a whistle noise coming from the engine and the car started loosing power. I have a land Rover mechanic scan the vehicle and it shows that the car is under boost, and a replacement turbo is needed, he also mentioned that there are other small issues which telly up the total to be around $6k for the whole repair cost. I just can't muster paying this ridiculous amount knowing that there might be more trouble in the future. Just when I was thinking about selling the car, the car all of sudden came back to life again. The turbo no longer makes that whistle noise and the power is back. All I can think of is that I clean up the air filter. I am at a cross road wondering if I should continue driving the car, or sell it? Can anyone chime in if you are in similar situation?
Hi - late to the show & not a direct answer to your note but might be of of interest - turbo replacement can be brought down to manageable cost - $2k instead of $5.5k
You can save $2.3k on the turbo part alone by purchasing it thru Amazon instead of LR - (search LR074185) and free issue it to your independent shop.

·
Super Moderator
360 Posts
Years ago I had a turbo fail on a car, since it was years ago the dealer quoted around $2500 for a replacement. I went to a shop that specialized in turbo repairs for large trucks and they rebuilt it for just over $500 . Oh that was installed as well. Also go to a Ford shop as see what they price it at.

·
Super Moderator
360 Posts
Oh a dirty filter will cause loss of power and boost so that would be the first thing to check. Also low quality fuel will also result in a loss of power

1 - 7 of 7 Posts