Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, friends. I'm looking for a trunk bike rack for three bikes. I was quoted over $900 to install the hitch and the rack. Too much. So then I looked at roof racks. Again, way too much for three bikes. Now I'm looking for a rack to strap to the vehicle. I've seen a few threads that mention Hollywood Racks and Saris. But companies stated the DO NOT make racks for the Disco. At not racks that have been tested for the car. So does anyone in the forum have any ideas for a three-bike rack that attaches to the car? Also, I lease the car, so a hitch would be a waste of money in a few years. Thanks for any and all advice. Jerry

·
Registered
29 Posts
How much do you value your bikes? How heavy are they? How far and fast do you go when carrying bikes? Road, MTB, Fat? I don't think strap on racks are a good idea ever, and even more so with 3 bikes.

Two options:

1) Get the dealer hitch + get a proper hitch rack not from Land Rover- you'll get to keep that when you turn in the Landy. We got the dealer to put a hitch (only, not the wiring) such that we could carry our many bikes. Or,

2) Self install the roof rails, and rack up that way. I would be apprehensive of 3 bikes up there with a pano.

And Enjoy the rides!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I bought knockoff roof rails and cross bars off eBay for dirt cheap and can find roof bike racks on Amazon for a song. I'd go that route.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought knockoff roof rails and cross bars off eBay for dirt cheap and can find roof bike racks on Amazon for a song. I'd go that route.
DiscoDisco - any issues with the Faux Rover rails? I have my own load bars; wavering on the rails for a humungous ski box primarily, and occasionally bike haulage. Hauled at velocity of course.

·
Registered
590 Posts
DiscoDisco - any issues with the Faux Rover rails? I have my own load bars; wavering on the rails for a humungous ski box primarily, and occasionally bike haulage. Hauled at velocity of course.
Zero issues and everything looks exactly like the LR branded stuff. Probably came from the same manufacturer in China.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Alrighty I will stalk the link on these forums thanks!
Just hit my profile and search my posts I gave the name of the eBay seller. Sorry I just don't have time to look it all up right now.
But here's the link to the Yakima rack I like.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001PRV7H2/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1503859989&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=yakima+bike+rack

It's all going to be a bit more expensive than just a rear "trunk" rack but in the end this is the way to go imo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts