Discovery Sport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I stand corrected. Looks like with the uhaul option the silver panel will not need to be trimmed. It's some other panels underneath that won't be visible.

Banks01: very much interested in how things turn out for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
great news! thanks for keeping us posted. Boggles my mind that you were stuck with a metric sleeve to begin with. . .
This happened to me on my RR Evoque. I wasn't able to use it.

After mor research I'm unsure that I'll go the Curt route as the cross bad will be visible slightly below the back silver insert. Meaning that there's more that will show behind the actual class II hitch. (Still rated at 5000 lbs)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hmm . . . I was hoping you would be the guinea pig. :)

I'm curious if there are any others on these forums that have gone the UHaul/Curt route. I probably won't wait much longer. It seems like the right decision because

1) much much cheaper than dealer-installed option
2) doesn't require a new silver bumper panel
3) I can live with the cross bar being visible, but I would want to make sure the UHaul sticker is removed beforehand. I've seen it on other hitches and think it looks terrible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmm . . . I was hoping you would be the guinea pig. :)

I'm curious if there are any others on these forums that have gone the UHaul/Curt route. I probably won't wait much longer. It seems like the right decision because

1) much much cheaper than dealer-installed option
2) doesn't require a new silver bumper panel
3) I can live with the cross bar being visible, but I would want to make sure the UHaul sticker is removed beforehand. I've seen it on other hitches and think it looks terrible.
If i saw it live or somewhere else other than this pic, i might do it. the other thing is the exhaust seems to be dropped some. That's why i want to see it a few other times before i do it. I can wait until the spring anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Bad news from my LandRover hitch re-fab. After they said they would change the sleeve, they now are afraid it will mess with the integrity of the hitch.

LandRover has no solution but for me to get products that fit the metric opening... Which many do, or remove the hitch.

They made a deal with me and I got a Thule Bike carrier.

I really would hate to get the other hitches and have them look bad. I like the finish of the factory one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
interesting development! Just so I'm understanding you clearly, Land Rover is buying you a metric Thule bike carrier to fit your hitch?

It's all a bit unfortunate that this has been such a circuitous process. Looks like however they are doing you a solid.

I agree the finish of the factory one is nice. But it is almost 3x the price of aftermarket. That's a pretty steep difference in my book.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thule hitches fit both metric and US Standard. They are slightly smaller than standard 2x2 and screw into the hitch reciever rather than using a pin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the factory hitch (rated 4850lbs badged Thule ) and have had no problem with a number of hitch mounted things; bike rack (http://www.northshoreracks.com), trailer hitch/ball (2" ball and curt mount).

I'm concerned now that I have been lucky, I'll try some other hitches in my receiver for sizing but haven't had an issue to date.

Attachments

Reactions: jsyteng

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the factory hitch (rated 4850lbs badged Thule ) and have had no problem with a number of hitch mounted things; bike rack (North Shore Bike Racks), trailer hitch/ball (2" ball and curt mount).

I'm concerned now that I have been lucky, I'll try some other hitches in my receiver for sizing but haven't had an issue to date.
Please take another pic from the back. I want to see where it lines up vertically.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
not yet, but probably soon. I am still a bit apprehensive, to be honest with you. I am worried mostly about how it's gonna look. I'm sure anything will be better than that RIDICULOUS hole that is under the silver panel now, which I understand will be "filled in" with the trailer hitch once it's installed. Let's hope reality matches expectations.

I would also want to get rid of the unsightly "Uhaul" sticker that is affixed. Time to break out the Goo Gone.

I do need to get this going soon bec. it's warming up and I'll be mountain biking big time soon in the coming weeks. :)

I thought long and hard about roof rails/crossbars, but it'll cost more than 1K to get installed, and I absolutely hate the idea of ruining the panoramic roof view (a premium which most of us have paid for!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Take a look at step 7 at https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/content/document/view?id=613560&groupId=1671 – doesn’t it seem like they are taking some big structural part of the bumper and telling you to toss it and replace with the tow bar?

The UHaul solution doesn’t seem to require that: Trailer Hitch Instructions For DrawTite, Reese, Hidden Hitch & More - etrailer.com but does show ending up with two 5”x8” cut outs in plastic on bottom and two 5”x0.5” cutouts on the back. Most importantly, as previously observed – the pictures show the exhaust tips much lower than prior to the installation.

Hmm...

·
Registered
52 Posts
FWIW - I asked Curt Mfg for a picture and they said the one on the instructions is bad where the exhaust isn't up all the way. Here's a finished product picture they shared with me (well - save for the last plastic cover)

Attachments

Reactions: jsyteng

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks Namzaj! Super helpful post. Encouraging to see it looks much better than the pict in the instructions. I am going to stop by Uhaul this weekend to kickstart the process.

·
Registered
7 Posts
wow I was finally able to log in.

So I bought the Curt hitch, and did the install over the weekend myself. Total cost was 150 dollars for the hitch, with free shipping on Amazon. This beats the pants off the 1200 dollars my dealer wanted.

I too asked Curt for pictures. The ones they sent... to be honest... look nothing like how it turned out. Theirs almost looks like a photoshopped picture.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The LR factory hitch on Topix shows a big part being replaced. It is the finished bumper applique. Looks nice. I got it on mine. It cost me aot more... But I got it in the price of the vehicle as it was a must have.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I really don't understand how the picture Curt sent over can be so different from the trailer hitch you installed (based on the pictures you posted in the other related thread). It is nowhere even close! In the Curt picture, they you can't even see the long cross bar . . .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agreed. The white disco they linked looks photoshopped. And they never showed a completed picture to me, just something with the bumper held up by hand to the back of the vehicle.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts