Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't express how disappointed I am in the 2016 DS's Touch Screen System. It is slow, doesn't always work, and basically a very poor design.

I took mine into the dealer at the 10,000 mile check up and complained about it. The main problem I was having at the time was that the speed sign reading didn't read the 75 miles an hour road signs and it occasionally locked up. They said they couldn't find anything wrong and didn't have a fix or new software from Land Rover. I recommended that they reflash the software which they didn't do.

Now the navigation seldom works (it can't read or find the simm card), voice commands don't work, the speed sign reading system forgets the speed after a few minutes, and the In Control Apps won't work. What a piece of crap.

I was looking at the Lincoln MKX before buying the DS and their Sync 3 system is a 100 times better.

I am scheduling a appointment to see what they can do this time.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Luckily my experience has been the opposite. I have been impressed with the touch, voice commands, and sd navigation. There was a glitch with my navigation and dead spots on the map (it reported 0 for longitude and latitude in some places... so the nav thought they did not exist) when I first got it, but it was corrected.

I also love the interface with my USB hard disk. Great for listening to music!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree that it's slow, however, it works fine for me (along w/ the Nav Sys, voice commands, etc.) I am not a fan of touchscreens anyway as I prefer the old fashion dedicated buttons for tactile feel while I'm driving.

If you want touchscreen, you should have purchased a Tesla. They practically took a 17" or something iPad and mounted into the dashboard:

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just want mine to work. I was scheduled for service today, but now they don't have any loaners and can't tell me when they could actually get to it once they have the car. I am waiting for a call when they will have a loaner for me.

Hopeful they will get it fixed correctly and it will work without any more problems.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For the Navigation System, have you tried a Reset? This will clear all data and hopefully renew the system: General Settings > System Settings > Delete All Personal Data

(You've got nothing to lose since nothing was retained. Sorry for the pun.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the car into the dealer and they replaced the Sim card. The navigation is now working but much of the other InControl features still don't work well. Over a period of a week there were two times that it couldn't read the sim card, it started working after a couple of retries. Does anyone else have issues with the Nav system?

The speed sign reading system works well below 60 MPH, but after that it works sometimes, It doesn't always display the correct speed. The InControl apps work sometimes. The text messaging has never worked for my iPhone 6s.

I call the Land Rover support line and the guy told me there is a new update coming out in about a month to fix the known text messaging problem with the iPhone. The car would have to be taken into the dealer to have it applies.

I guess I will wait for the software update and see if it fixes the problems. If it doesn't work after that, they need to replace the logic board.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't have the InControl Apps but my Nav works great and so does traffic sign recognition. I have a 2016 HSE. Oh, my text readout works fine for my 6S.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 2016 HSE Lux also. Glad you are not having any problems. Funny the Land Rover guy said there was issues with text messaging and the iPhone..... maybe not all.

I wish they would have refashed the system as I requested, it might have fixed it. It either that or a hardware issue. Having spent 35 years in high tech, I think its the software.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Called the Dealer again to set up an appointment and wrote a email to Land Rover to try and get this fixed. It ticks me off every time I drive the car because there is always some kind of problem.

I did a little research online, not much out their except the fact that the system is based on a quad-core processor most likely the 1.91Ghz Intel Atom E3845 and uses 64-bit Ubuntu as its operating system:

Does InControl Touch Pro run 64-bit Ubuntu on an Intel Atom E3845 and why is their app API so closed? » OVALNEWS.com ? Always fanatical; Occasionally interesting Land Rover & Range Rover News

I still think they need to reload the software and determine if its software or hardware.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I picked up my Disco (HSE) the sales guy was running over all the gadgets, etc. and after I synced my phone and went to the text message display he was pleased because it actually displayed the text messages. He said "you must have an Android, because it doesn't always work with iPhones". So, is not unique to you, apparently.

Reactions: LRD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, just wanted to add something - that article I posted on the hardware at Ovalnews is for InControl Touch Pro, not InControl Touch.

Is your issue with the 8" system or the 10"?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I always have to wait for like 3-5min allowing the GPS to read my preset Home address. Has anyone the same issue? I work in tech so I can say this system really sucks. It must be working right after the system is on.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I too have a strong tech background... and I like the system compared to others I have seen. The plusses outweigh the minuses in my opinion.

The voice recognition, bluetooth connectivity, GPS, ability to connect to my external HD for music (while searching it etc.) All appear to be operational and great.

Asking it to navigate home was a disappointment, but my workaround was making home a favorite. I just speak, "favorite home" and I am routed.

I do not see any crazy 3-5 minute lag. Maybe I am just lucky.

·
Registered
211 Posts
urazen - There is a delay when initially starting the car for the GPS (and music on USB) to load. This was the same as on my Infiniti. After the system is loaded I haven't found any unreasonable delays.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took my Discovery Sport in last week to get the new software update applied hoping it will fix my problems. It helped the Nav a little but I am still having problems with the it reading the speed signs. It is also responding a little faster.

They also told me that the iPhones don't work for text and emails because of iCloud..... Ah.....

FYI. There is also new transmission software, a sun glasses compartment latch fix, and a fix for one of the back seats to fix a rattling issue.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Took my Discovery Sport in last week to get the new software update applied hoping it will fix my problems. It helped the Nav a little but I am still having problems with the it reading the speed signs. It is also responding a little faster.

They also told me that the iPhones don't work for text and emails because of iCloud..... Ah.....

FYI. There is also new transmission software, a sun glasses compartment latch fix, and a fix for one of the back seats to fix a rattling issue.
Funny how that works since usually it's the other way around especially with how consistent Apple is with releasing updates unlike Android which can range quite a bit on a global scale, not everyone will get the update at the same time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't express how disappointed I am in the 2016 DS's Touch Screen System. It is slow, doesn't always work, and basically a very poor design.

I took mine into the dealer at the 10,000 mile check up and complained about it. The main problem I was having at the time was that the speed sign reading didn't read the 75 miles an hour road signs and it occasionally locked up. They said they couldn't find anything wrong and didn't have a fix or new software from Land Rover. I recommended that they reflash the software which they didn't do.

Now the navigation seldom works (it can't read or find the simm card), voice commands don't work, the speed sign reading system forgets the speed after a few minutes, and the In Control Apps won't work. What a piece of crap.

I was looking at the Lincoln MKX before buying the DS and their Sync 3 system is a 100 times better.

I am scheduling a appointment to see what they can do this time.
Me too. Preseted Radio stations doesn't jump between them with one touch at wheel controls or screen controls.
Bluetooth and Land Rover App have their own mood.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I go in tomorrow for my fourth attempt to get my system fix! I am not holding my breath because the service rep say there are no notice that I haven't already tried.

All they can do is document the on going problems to see if Land Rover will approve switching out the unit. If they can't fix it this time I guess it time for nasty letter to Land Rover.

I should have bought the new Lincoln MKX, that Consumers Report says is best in class unless you really want off-roading. If their new 9 speed transmission was out I would have.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well my DS Lux is in for the fifth time to try and fix the inControl System. I emailed Land Rover directly and they had me take it in for another round. They gave me a new DS and I tested everything but texting and it worked fine on the new one.

I emailed my service rep and told him to tell Land Rover that I demand that the entire module be replaced on mine. He send the request/demand to the service manager and he is checking into it.

Has anyone had success with a iPhone 6S and texting?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts