Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the tongue weight is on the Disco Sport HSE? Called the Dealership and they didn't know, at least the parts department didn't know.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
588 Posts
Which engine do you have - petrol or diesel ?

Generally speaking - not specific to the Disco - the tongue weight is supposed to be 10% of the tow weight.

So if the load weight is 7000 lbs, then 700 pounds is on the tongue - in most realistic situation.

But the tow capacity depends on a lot of things: tow bar rating, vehicle rating, length of the load/trailer, height of the hitch ball to the car's height, etc...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey All,

We've got the 2.0 petrol turbo. We got the dealer installed tow hitch that can tow up to 5500 lbs.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
590 Posts
About 500 lbs sounds right then. It's funny, the Curt hitch says 750lbs. That's ridiculous.
Also if you buy the LR receiver hitch it should have tongue weight printed on it. Take it with grain of salt though.

·
Registered
590 Posts
dunno where you got 5500lbs from, LR states 4409 for the 2.0L Turbo
Yep, The 2.0L diesel tows a claimed 5500 lbs. LR claims 4409 for the 2.0L gasser. I wouldnt even tow anywhere near 4K lbs with this vehicle. Probably around 2500 lbs would be the most I'd be comfortable with. Which is a small trailer.
My boat weighs about 4200lbs and there's no way Id attempt to tow it with the Disco. :eek:

·
Registered
84 Posts
my boats at 3200 + trailer single axle with brakes... only need to pull it up a ramp and into storage about 500ft from ramp
hopefully it doesnt fall apart =P

·
Registered
590 Posts
my boats at 3200 + trailer single axle with brakes... only need to pull it up a ramp and into storage about 500ft from ramp
hopefully it doesnt fall apart =P
LOL! it'll handle that. My weight is boat + a pretty beefy tandem axle trailer with brakes. + another 300+lbs worth of a full tank of fuel and gear. I just wouldnt want to pull mine to the lake for 2.5 hours both ways. That little 4 banger would be under constant boost and I dont trust the little ZF 9 speed to handle it, much less the rest of the LR driveline. It would be a check engine light waiting to happen...Ill keep the boat towing to my truck.
However, we are going to get a Littele Guy camper trailer (1800lbs) and tow it as often as we can with the Disco. It should be about perfect for the job. I think the power train should be able to stand up to that in repeat applications.

I just think that 4400 lb tow rating is optimistic at best.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dealer installed hitch is kinda of interesting.

While the hitch looks great from the back, and the flip down electrial keeps it really clean, the fact that they hack off part of the bumper to installis kind of ghetto.

It still looks 100x better than the uhaul or curtis hitches ive seen + warranty, but man they just cut the plastic around the bump area i guess.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Dealer installed hitch is kinda of interesting.

While the hitch looks great from the back, and the flip down electrial keeps it really clean, the fact that they hack off part of the bumper to installis kind of ghetto.

It still looks 100x better than the uhaul or curtis hitches ive seen + warranty, but man they just cut the plastic around the bump area i guess.
This is the one Im gonna get.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts

you can only see the hack job if you go under the car, but it looks like the 2" receiver is much further back than on the one you posted. Also when the review camere comes on the ball is visible, and provides an line that moves (similar to the parking assit) and then zooms in when u get close to the trailer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts