Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport HSE, 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my 2019 DS HSE in July 2019. It's the first vehicle I had bought since June 2001. So, I came out from brunch two Sundays ago to find that a blue grey vehicle of some sort had scraped across the driver's side front bumper. I know the color because some paint scuffs had been left behind. These were easily removed with a little polishing compound when I got home. But the encounter left 2 scratches that won't buff out and I need to decide what to do with them.

I took the DS to a collision shop with a good reputation and they surprised me with a quote of $1400, so the best case is $1000 (my deductible). I intend to keep the DS 6-7 years so I want the work done right --- put back together indistinguishable from when it rolled off the assembly line. Basically they remove the bumper and bumper cover then strip, repair, prime, paint, clearcoat., reassemble. And recalibrate the sensors ($400). The work is guaranteed for as long as I own the vehicle. . Please take a look at the photos and let me know what you think. I change my mind every half day. Many thanks.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting White Hood

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting White Hood
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
753 Posts
There are usually companies called Dent Doctor or the various names like it, I would contact them. If the car was at a dealership that is how they would fix it. Wow $1400!. The first scratch is always the worse.

Is $1000 deductible normal where you live? I have always had $300.00 which is normal for my location.

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
753 Posts
Update talked to somebody for advise and she says it is only noticed by yourself and not to worry. A small dad of touch up paint should do it. I try to always listen to the wife☠

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would get other quotes--that amount is insane! Also, I don't see much value in their "guaranteed for life". Not like the paint is going to fall off or something like that. I would not suggest a dab of touch up paint unless you are an artist. I tried that, and it looked worse than the scratch......

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport HSE, 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would get other quotes--that amount is insane! Also, I don't see much value in their "guaranteed for life". Not like the paint is going to fall off or something like that. I would not suggest a dab of touch up paint unless you are an artist. I tried that, and it looked worse than the scratch......
I definitely agree with you on the DIY approach. Any fix will be done professionally except for removing the blue paint streaks left by the other vehicle, which came off with some polishing compound and a little light rubbing. I'll turn the rest over to insurance as my deductible is only $500 and I haven't had a claim in several years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts