Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should you rotate tires on our Discovery. I never owned an all the time 4wd/AWD vehicle. If so how often? Every 6k or at the 10k services?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mercedes requires tire rotation yearly on 4matic vehicles as part of the warranty requirements because mis sized tires on a AWD can cause stress with the sensors and mechanical parts. Rover must have the same view as well. Always a good practise to rotate tires to give maximum life but I think even more important with AWD. As an added bonus with the wheels off the brake pads and discs can be checked out and tires can be checked over for hidden damage.

Tire rotation should be around $30 or less. At least my tire guy charged me that to remove 4 snow tires (on rims) and install my all seasons.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have always had my tires rotated regardless of the vehicle. (Tires I purchased from Discount Tire or Les Schwab include FREE tire rotation for the life of the tires.)

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
We have a Discount Tire store right by our house, They rotate for free...and of course I buy my tires from them too...so I tend to rotate tires pretty often. They will do it every 3K miles. It's the best thing you can do for tire life. I have noticed how front end wear biased the Disco is. I've never seen it as apparent on any other vehicle I've owed. This thing eats front tires....:eek:

Anyone else noticed?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had my 2016 Discovery services twice at the dealer with a tire rotation. After the second time, I realized the front wheels remain front then I asked them if they did the rotation. They told me that they already did and explained that Land Rover just rotate side to side, and also told me that the front tires are worn out. It doesn't make sense to me, and I'm going to bring the rear to front myself. Can anyone here confirm me that Land Rover just rotate tires side to side. Your input is really appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had my 2016 Discovery services twice at the dealer with a tire rotation. After the second time, I realized the front wheels remain front then I asked them if they did the rotation. They told me that they already did and explained that Land Rover just rotate side to side, and also told me that the front tires are worn out. It doesn't make sense to me, and I'm going to bring the rear to front myself. Can anyone here confirm me that Land Rover just rotate tires side to side. Your input is really appreciated.
That is odd... My dealer rotated the tires front to back during the 20k service.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is odd... My dealer rotated the tires front to back during the 20k service.
That's right. One of the points of tire rotation is to make sure the four tires wore out evenly. The way they rotate made my 2 front tires damage first. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
588 Posts
The car is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE so it's natural that the fronts wear out a little faster than the rear.

When accelerating, the power is shifted to the rear (turn on your 4x4i to see this action).

You should rotate your non directional tires in a X pattern for the best wear.

If you have directional tires, then rotate front to rear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The car is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE so it's natural that the fronts wear out a little faster than the rear.

When accelerating, the power is shifted to the rear (turn on your 4x4i to see this action).

You should rotate your non directional tires in a X pattern for the best wear.

If you have directional tires, then rotate front to rear.
Thanks for your information.

·
Registered
113 Posts
4 sallypat is absolutely correct - either X pattern or front to rear.
Also, another reason front tires wear out much faster is the weight distribution and breaking habits.....
Much more friction with the road on the front tires during breaking due to the heavy front (engine)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I Rotate my tires every 5 thousand miles. Always front to back and back to front only. Never swap side to side.
Most high performance tires have a directional tread pattern and should not be swapped side to side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts