Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i remember correctly, when i bought my 2017 LRDS I got a yellow paper indicating not to use tire chains when driving in snow.

Am i correct in recalling this?

Anyone out there who put tire snow chains?

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
588 Posts
Manufacturer does not recommend, but you can add S type cable chains which are low profile.
Check clearance first before buying.
Just don't use the trucker linked chain type.

Only time I would consider putting on cable chains would be if I had to climb up a steep ice slope that a set of winter tires won't grip.

Tire chains are a pain - that's why I got the Discovery and dumped my Mercedes 4Matic.
I noticed the Discovery has a much better full time 4WD system instead of that crappy all around common AWD on demand that all the German, Japanese and American cars have these days to save on wear/tear. I much rather have full time 4WD instead of having an AWD computer determine if the other axle should turn on...

Just get some good winter tires like others here have done for all around snow, slush, and light ice or if you want to go extreme, get a set of studdable winter tires where you can screw in studs when you go extreme.

I use the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 with lots of success where I go fishing and skiing in the winter....

·
Registered
3 Posts
A chain is a serial assembly of connected pieces, called links, typically made of metal, with an overall character similar to that of a rope in that it is flexible and curved in compression but linear, rigid, and load-bearing in tension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
4SALLYPAT

With your winter tires did you have tire pressure monitors installed? If I do not do I have to live with the blinking light or is there a way to turn it off?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I don't think buying winter tires for the few days i do up to the mountains to play is entirely worth it. I meant Cables when I posted earlier. They are low profile and should fit in the wheel wells. I was just curious if anyone has put Tire Cables on their LRDS. I had some for my Jeep Liberty for a "just in case" situation and wanted to do the same with the Land Rover. I never used the cables for the Jeep either, but it was just a safety thing.

Thanks Again
Ryan

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe Fast Wheels in Montreal has Aftermarket TPMS for the Disco Sport.... I got mine really cheap for my other set of rims (winter) which still have yet to be installed lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tested chains on my previous car LR Freelander 2, on the first axe. It's really help on offroad and do not lead to any problems. LRDS has more or less the same suspension and construction of the first axe and chains also should be usefull for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I purchased tire cables from walmart online Item # 554392249 for $100 before I went up to the Sierras for a ski weekend. I made sure they fit on the LR in the driveway before we went up there and they fit well, but did not drive on them. We went up to the Sierra's and never had to use them, although tire chains and cables were mandatory, there was not a single time we though we needed to put them on. The traction and the snow system is amazing. I loved driving around in the snow and even at one point in a empty parking lot I did an acceleration test. I didn't even feel tire slip. It was fun seeing people struggle driving with chains and cables when the snow lightened up and they were driving on asphalt. I now have the cables for emergencies when going up in the mountains but don't see when I would use them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts