Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Anyone experienced a problem with timed charging which seem to be factory problem because service can't solve it for several attempts now? In most of cases, like at least 95% of cases, it won't wait for a period when it is allowed to be charging, turning on charging immediately. First it light a blue lamp, and then after few seconds, switches to green and starts charging. Setuped both period and departure times. Tried without departure times too.

Apart from that, I experienced that few times computer won't turn on for a whole day - tomorrow it's ok... Using the car for about two months and already happened 3 times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems like I'm the only one with this problem, so it's not the whole series that is broken but just my car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
529 Posts
I think if the battery is low that charging will start immediately but do not know anyone with the plug in car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seems like I'm the only one with this problem, so it's not the whole series that is broken but just my car.
I have experienced this a few times. For the first couple of times I unplugged the car, turned it on pulled forward and reversed back (as if I had been out for a very short journey), plugged in again and got the blue ‘charging scheduled’ light. On more recent occasions I have looked at the remote app immediately after the problem and noticed that the schedule was disabled or that a day was missing from it.
Very strange, but I am putting it down to a bug in the scheduling software. It is one of these things that you can’t prove to anyone

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Contrary to you my schedule stays full, nothing is missing from it. And I think it's pretty much provable, I can clearly show that in 99% of cases, it switched from blue to green lamp for no good reason. Anyways, I contacted Land Rover directly, I really hope they will react.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Contrary to you my schedule stays full, nothing is missing from it. And I think it's pretty much provable, I can clearly show that in 99% of cases, it switched from blue to green lamp for no good reason. Anyways, I contacted Land Rover directly, I really hope they will react.
Hope you get somewhere with it and can report back.

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
529 Posts
Lucky for me if I buy an electric car there is no rate change in the middle of the night. If there was, I would have the charge cable plugged into a cheap mechanical timer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck finding "cheap mechanical timer" for a connector like this....... :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Latest findings from me.

I continued to see anomalies in the schedules and was frequently failing to update a schedule from within the app.

I deleted all schedules from the scheduler in the car, made sure it synced with the app and then set up a timed charging schedule for every day 05:30 with preferred charging period 00:30 to 04:30 from the car. I am not going to touch the schedules from the app to see how it goes.

So far 2 weeks with no errors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You talk about scheduler in the app and scheduler in the car? Are those two separate schedulers? App you mean the phone app? My preferred charging period is 00:00-08:00, and departure is scheduled for every day in the week in 08:10. It's just not working and there are various errors, it either ignores timed charging and charges immediately (but with about 3 seconds of blue light before green), or it doesn't even charge at all, or it charges correctly during the night, but that's the rarest case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi

Same scheduler but 2 interfaces to it, one via the Pivi Pro in the car and the other via Land Rover Remote app on phone.

I had the same issue of 3 seconds blue then switching on to green and charging immediately.

As mentioned, I was noticing strange behaviour from within the Remote app so opted to delete all schedules and start again using the Pivi Pro interface to set the schedules.

This may or may not have solved my problem, but so far so good. It has been 2 weeks without a failure where previously it was failing 50% of the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't use phone app at all, and was multiple times deleting all schedules, as well as resetting and updating whole software, but nothing changed. Just to be clear, you have that newest version of Pivi Pro that goes with newest p300e?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, updated Pivi Pro about a month ago and there are no pending updates currently. Car is MY21 P300E.

I’ll post here if I get a timed charge failure again

Just for additional info, my charger is a Pod Point 7kw

I mention the charger because there is obviously a handshake going on.

Plug the cable in, light goes blue as you say for about 3 seconds, some relays click in the Pod Point, the light goes off and comes on blue again to indicate waiting to charge.

When it failed for me, it was the same as above except after the 3 seconds and the relay clicking, the light came on green.

Unlikely to be related, but thought I’d mention anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it still functioning OK? I can't make it work no way... At best, it works until first departure is made, and from then on, for further charges, it's switches from timed charging to charging in 3 secods after connected.

Anyway, I don't even understand why they made departutes to do anything with preferred charging period.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have now had 4 consecutive failures, so much for my 2 weeks perfect performance. For these failures there was no weird issues showing on the Remote app, so they are just straight forward failures (immediate charging instead of timed charging). I can however make it go into timed charging by unplugging, getting in the car, starting up, moving forwards and backwards, turning off and plugging in again.

I don’t think it is just your car, I will be raising the issue directly with LR customer service and see what they say.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for that information. That's what I was thinking actually is going to happen. Are we ready for class action lawsuit? :) Kidding right now, but if they don't respond (and they did not respond to me, something must be done through courts). Because it seems actually every single p300e is broken.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello again
I got the expected response suggesting I contact my retailer and apologising for any inconvenience.

I have gone back saying it is a massive inconvenience and with it being an intermittent fault I doubt they can solve it. I will keep up the email war, but I have implemented a workaround as follows:

My Pod Point charger also has a timed charging capability, so I have set that to start 15 minutes before the preferred charging time I have set in the car.

With this in place, plugging the car in puts it in “Initialsing” mode. When the charger timed period starts the car changes to “Waiting to charge” mode and then when the car’s preferred charging period starts it starts to charge.

Not perfect, but at least I am reliably using my cheap electricity to charge the car every night.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for this tip! Actually I contacted the charger vendor and they told me they could probably make time charging on it, even allow me some remote access maybe. Question is why do you even need to set your car for timed charging if it's set on your Pod Point?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts