Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am looking to buy a new-to-me car and stumbled upon the 2020 Land Rover Discovery Sport with 34k miles for $25k.
I’m looking for something reliable and comfortable for long distances and not needing too many repairs but I don’t know anything about this car.
Can you guys give me your honest review/opinion/warnings about this car? How expensive and often are the repairs typically needed? How reliable is this car?

thanks!

· Registered
99 Posts
Ask for the maintenance records. If they changed the oil every 10K miles and everything on it works, I'd feel pretty good paying that price. If they only followed the LR minimums and have changed the oil once so far at 20K miles, I might not feel quite as good about it but it's probably still ok. Just read the fine print on the maintenance schedule and follow it from here on out (which probably means 10K oil changes). I assume you're getting at least the rest of the factory warranty? That should give you about a year of coverage if you do have any problems I'd guess. You might also be able to buy an extended warranty but unless it's through LR, I might not bother.

If you have an LR dealer do your maintenance & repairs they are pretty expensive. An oil change at my dealer costs double what my wife's Lexus costs at the Lexus dealer. Parts can be expensive if you need them and your local AutoZone probably doesn't carry much for LRs, so you need to be prepared for that. If you're good at maintaining & fixing your own cars, it's not much different from any car other than parts might cost a bit more sometimes and they might take a bit longer to get sometimes. One thing I'd recommend on any newer car (not just LR) is to get a smart battery maintainer and put it on your battery overnight once every week or two. It'll make your battery last much longer and probably cut down on electrical glitches.

All that said, my 2021 has been perfectly reliable so far and I'm very happy with it. It's extremely comfortable on long trips and very nice to drive.

· Registered
52 Posts
Hello all! I am looking to buy a new-to-me car and stumbled upon the 2020 Land Rover Discovery Sport with 34k miles for $25k.
I’m looking for something reliable and comfortable for long distances and not needing too many repairs but I don’t know anything about this car.
Can you guys give me your honest review/opinion/warnings about this car? How expensive and often are the repairs typically needed? How reliable is this car?

thanks!
We had many in warranty repairs and spend about $2000 a year in repairs, all service at the dealer. We have a 2017, and it was comfortable on long road trips, typically 2000+ at a time with a family of 5.

· Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
842 Posts
I have a 2016 and in 6 years (bought it used July 2016) my total service and repair costs have been $1104.00 CDN including my last service this morning. Had 1 free service at the dealer and never gone back for dealer service.
Very comfortable on long trips and handles great in the mountains and at high speeds. Fairly good fuel economy on the hwy but I get terrible economy on the many short trips that I take in the city

1 - 4 of 4 Posts