Discovery Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I am new to the forum but bought a used disco sport 4 months ago. Love the car BUT noticed a persistent rattle / ticking noise from both B pillars so my car went in to have the magic weld done and all should have been sorted. Well, after JLR had my car for 7 WEEKS, yes 7 weeks, nothing had changed and rattle on both sides is still there which leaves one very angry customer. What the **** they did with my car for 7 weeks I have no idea as they haven't bothered to explain, absolutely useless. JLR head office are involved and i've told them they either sort it or I want a replacement vehicle, I have had similar problems with Audi, gone beserk at them and magically they fit new parts FOC until the problem is rectified and provide a load of gift vouchers which they can most definitely afford! Really piss poor product quality from a supposed premium brand. I love the car but sadly this persistent issue just ruins the driving experience for me and I wont accept it. Just waiting to hear what Head Office now have to say.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That may explain why the car is used, ie: the original owner noticed the same rattling/ticking issue and brought it in to have it addressed but nothing was resolved and eventually got an exchange or refund. The next owner noticed the same issue and the cycle just continues. Essentially, this car is now a loaner car.

If it's any consolation, I too hear rattling/ticking in my DS but only on brick roads/speed bumps w/ the radio turned off so it's not as bad as to bring it in. (Even if it requires the car to be brought in, I don't want to face the 7wks of parking in the dealership for nothing.) One way or another, I hope you get this resolved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are all of these on the 15/16's? I just took ownership of a new 2017 and so far, so good. Mild driver's seat squeak and some faint noise by the seatbelt on that that side that doesn't sound metallic at all. May have to take it in for the seat squeak, though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Are all of these on the 15/16's? I just took ownership of a new 2017 and so far, so good. Mild driver's seat squeak and some faint noise by the seatbelt on that that side that doesn't sound metallic at all. May have to take it in for the seat squeak, though.
No way of telling.... you are our insight to the 2017s. Please keep us posted and good luck!

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's official, some MY17 DS inherit the infamous B-pillar ticking (rattle) issue. You can read more in UK's forum: Discovery Sport Forums - MY17 B Pillar Rattle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I have had my DS for just 3 months and have noticed this noise that sounds like plastic clicking or rubbing in the B Pillar on the passenger side. I tend to use driving as my quiet time, and this noise is enough to send you round the twist. My OCD brain goes into overdrive and I find it extraordinarily annoying!

So, I booked it in for a service, and guess what - the day of the service, the bloody thing was quiet as a church mouse and naturally they said the car had no defects present. Three days later....hello rattle.

I thought initially it was the rear air vent in the pillar, but after finding this thread am now wondering if it is the weld issue. Has anyone recorded this noise?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Took my 17 Disco Sport in for B-Pillar rattle on driver and passenger side.
Currently at a body shop where they'll be placing a few welds on the problem area.
Service tech said that LR is classifying it as a refinement issue. Happens during certain temperatures.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Picked up my 2017 just a few weeks ago and I have the rattle on the passenger side as well. Looks like non of us can escape this.

M

·
0 Posts
Picked up my 2017 just a few weeks ago and I have the rattle on the passenger side as well. Looks like non of us can escape this.

I had what I thought was the rattle on the passenger side, only to discover that it was the buckle for the passenger seat belt that got hung up in a certain position and rattled on the frame ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to update this post as I have been dealing with this rattle on my Disco Sport for some time now. I recently solved this issue by simply removing the upper cover of the B pillar (plastic one where the seatbelt goes into). I then used a can of expanding foam insulation (Great Stuff expanding foam sealant} and inserted the hose into the center opening where the plastic piece clips in...I aimed the hose up towards the roof and put in about 3/4 of the can moving around aiming forward back and middle of the top of the pillar..I then saw the foam fill to the area where I inserted the hose as it expanded. Then I moved and put the remaining can in the center hole just below that upper hose and emptied the can into it. I applied duct tap over the holes as it was trying to push out as it expanded. I let it sit overnight and BOOM!!! No more noise! My Disco for the first time doesn't make a sound driving down my rough road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to update this post as I have been dealing with this rattle on my Disco Sport for some time now. I recently solved this issue by simply removing the upper cover of the B pillar (plastic one where the seatbelt goes into). I then used a can of expanding foam insulation (Great Stuff expanding foam sealant} and inserted the hose into the center opening where the plastic piece clips in...I aimed the hose up towards the roof and put in about 3/4 of the can moving around aiming forward back and middle of the top of the pillar..I then saw the foam fill to the area where I inserted the hose as it expanded. Then I moved and put the remaining can in the center hole just below that upper hose and emptied the can into it. I applied duct tap over the holes as it was trying to push out as it expanded. I let it sit overnight and BOOM!!! No more noise! My Disco for the first time doesn't make a sound driving down my rough road.
-------------------------

Hi - just picked up my DS SE today and am facing the door rattle on both sides. Not sure if I might get any joy out of the dealer as I bought on the LR approved used scheme with 2 years warranty.

Just a question for you regarding your foam fix, are there not airbags in that area? My vehicle has a plastic cover on each side just above the seat belt entry point with AIRBAG written on.

Surely squirting foam in would mess up the airbags? Or did I misunderstand?

Many thanks - advice appreciated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
A member on the UK site fixed his rattle by inserting a paper receipt under the plastic cover. The first cars produced had a fastener smaller than the hole and the problem was remedied. But the problem has become an urban myth0:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody know how to remove the glossy black plastic trim on the outside of the front doors? The part which runs up the side of the window near the B pillar. If I press on mine from the outside there is clear movement and a ticking sound, I am pretty sure this is contributing to my problem, and I would like to remove it to investigate further and maybe add some padding underneath, but I can't see any way of removing it and don't want to force it without understanding how it fits on. Advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dear Bill F, would it be possible to see some pictures of the fix? That would help us to try our self fix.

Thanks a lot.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts