Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking at the 4x4 menu, I have never seen much change on the lock/unlock symbol on chassis while driving normally on dry pavement.

Today while it was raining and quite slippery around turns, I noticed the lock/unlock symbol would change as traction changes.:eek:

This is a very nice feature I have not seen in other brands.

Makes me feel safe and secure knowing the wheels / are doing their behind the scenes traction control going around on slippery pavement.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
What does it all mean?

It might be cool if I knew what it meant. Any clues? Lock/unlock and quarter, half, three quarters and full circle??? Notice the wheels turning when you turn a corner? Why are the tires outlined? Where can we read about this - it is not in the manual...

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I am in Los Angeles county.
It's nice to have rain we need desperately.
As rain is so rare here, the road gets very slick when it does rain - all that oil, gas, lubricants that were dried onto the asphalt comes out making for a slippery road....

I do love the DS - makes me smile like a kid - being able to race around corners and passing cars so easily without any slippage when other cars just can't do the same......

Funny how the DS reminds me of my first true 4WD I had 15 years ago - 2001 BMW X5 with fixed 40/60% X-Drive that gripped the road just like this DS - I called the E53: Road magnets.....
Now that the newer replacements have come along, the newer BMW X Drive just does not feel the same and have lost that "fun" feel.
The DS sure reminds me of the fun feel again after 15 years - sort of like reliving our youth.....

No regrets getting my first Land Rover product!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ha I'm in the same boat with you. Loving mine too. It is really a fun car to drive. I took it to big bear over thanksgiving weekend where I chose the snow mode, I definitely was able to feel the way transmission responded and the fraction of my wheels on the slippery ground. I recently upgraded my exhaust system (cat back) which should not impact warranty. I went from 2 1/2" piping to 2.5" with only a quarter of an inch difference, I gotta tell you now the car is even funner to drive. The acceleration is loser and it makes a nice mild deep tone when it passes 4000 rpm. When below it sounds like stock which is how I like it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ha I'm in the same boat with you. Loving mine too. It is really a fun car to drive. I took it to big bear over thanksgiving weekend where I chose the snow mode, I definitely was able to feel the way transmission responded and the fraction of my wheels on the slippery ground. I recently upgraded my exhaust system (cat back) which should not impact warranty. I went from 2 1/2" piping to 2.5" with only a quarter of an inch difference, I gotta tell you now the car is even funner to drive. The acceleration is loser and it makes a nice mild deep tone when it passes 4000 rpm. When below it sounds like stock which is how I like it.
Do you think you'll ever upgrade the exhaust to something with a louder more refined sound or what?

·
Registered
242 Posts
No I don't think I want it too loud. I'm pretty happy with the magnaflow set up right now. I have a resonator installed as well to reduce sound when I increased piping by 1/4". It is a mild deep tone when I step on it and I'm pleased with it. Got a K&n drop in filter which can help the car breath a little better.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Disco808. Do you have any video/ sound clip of your exhaust? I'd love to hear it. I've never been a fan of exhausts on 4 bangers and 6 cylinders with only a few exceptions. I'm curious to hear yours.

We took our DS out in the sleet/ ice yesterday. Snow, grass, gravel mode worked great. Terrain response is a great piece of modern tech. I've had many 4x4 vehicles over the years. While they allowed me to get around fine in bad condition, Nothing quite compares to the sure footedness that the DS exhibits.

Don't forget... In seriously slippery situations you can turn the stability control off. This will keep the nannys from cutting your engine power.

Take a few mins to read the info in the 4x4 screen for each terrain response mode.

I would also love to see in in depth video on how the drive system works.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It might be cool if I knew what it meant. Any clues? Lock/unlock and quarter, half, three quarters and full circle??? Notice the wheels turning when you turn a corner? Why are the tires outlined? Where can we read about this - it is not in the manual...

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
So I can't find ANYTHING in the users manual... I've found some info for bigger Range Rovers via Google.... but no one seems to know what the progressive green bar means.

I'd assume it's total power bent sent to the rear. Does anyone know what the maximum ratio is?

Wife owns the DS. I was hoping to take it out in the rain.... but alas I'm stuck with my Audi... Oh wait, ha ha, quattro is incredible in the rain.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't read the manual so I can't say how the display is interpreted but the traction is amazing compared to my past BMW AWD SAVs.

Yesterday I had the chance to try out the 4x4i traction system on very heavy rains here in Southern California.:eek:

When you pull out from a stop on white painted lines, the wheels tends to slip but not the DS - it gripped so well, the green unlock circle changed to a brown locked circle.:eek:

I could not make the DS lose traction - it was so amazing to feel the grip while other cars were not able to keep up in the heavy rains....:)

Such a nimble car even in slippery conditions. Makes me smile each time I drive her.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts