Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got myself a 2016 Disco Sport. Overall very happy with the vehicle apart from one very frustrating issue. The Tailgate will not always open and close using either the button on the tailgate or the button on the remote. On buying the car I did have a replacement battery done, so I know it is not the battery.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Kind regards

John

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
595 Posts
others have reported ,if the car battery is low the tailgate sometimes will not work.

Good indication of a low battery is if the start/stop function works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
I have changed the battery for a new one. No Low Battery warning light.

Kind regards

John

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
When you come to a stop does the engine turn off/stop and restart when you take your foot off the brake?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just got myself a 2016 Disco Sport. Overall very happy with the vehicle apart from one very frustrating issue. The Tailgate will not always open and close using either the button on the tailgate or the button on the remote. On buying the car I did have a replacement battery done, so I know it is not the battery.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Kind regards

John
Hi John
I've had similar problems and extensively researched the forums and still arguing with LR dealer and Central over this. I found the following;
Similar issues dating back to 2015 in these forums
LR refusing to resolve the issue
My dealer blaming me by suggesting the tailgate had been open in a high wind or forcefully closed thereby twisting the hinges.
Weeks to respond after taking it for the day to estimate the cost of repair then saying as a goodwill gesture they'd pay 40% of the cost with my portion of cost over £500!
I then found a you tube video of two guys fixing the same issue created by the tailgate being misaligned in a Range Rover Vogue. It took them a short time to strip the rear spoiler to gain access to hinge bolts which when loosened allowed adjustment of the tailgate position into a correct aligned position which then closed easily under power.
My next door neighbour was just chatting to another LR discovery owner with exactly the same issue in a caravan park in Glencoe a couple of weeks ago.
You are not alone
It wasn't your fault
Do your research
Don't let them off the hook!!

good luck
Kind regards
Gordon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi John
I've had similar problems and extensively researched the forums and still arguing with LR dealer and Central over this. I found the following;
Similar issues dating back to 2015 in these forums
LR refusing to resolve the issue
My dealer blaming me by suggesting the tailgate had been open in a high wind or forcefully closed thereby twisting the hinges.
Weeks to respond after taking it for the day to estimate the cost of repair then saying as a goodwill gesture they'd pay 40% of the cost with my portion of cost over £500!
I then found a you tube video of two guys fixing the same issue created by the tailgate being misaligned in a Range Rover Vogue. It took them a short time to strip the rear spoiler to gain access to hinge bolts which when loosened allowed adjustment of the tailgate position into a correct aligned position which then closed easily under power.
My next door neighbour was just chatting to another LR discovery owner with exactly the same issue in a caravan park in Glencoe a couple of weeks ago.
You are not alone
It wasn't your fault
Do your research
Don't let them off the hook!!

good luck
Kind regards
Gordon
Many thanks 🙏. I am surprised that the previous owner did not get it sorted with Land Rover as he has all services with Land Rover.
Not heard it could be an alignment issue. I have seen mine work sometimes.
Kind regards
John

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
Hi

hi

my vehicle does not stop and start. It’s odd as the garage said it was marked as a stop and start, but it does not do it.
All the vehicles are equipped with start/stop and in almost all cases a low battery is the problem if it does not work.

You mentioned that a garage installed a battery, was it an AGM battery that had the same specs ? Also the new battery has to be programmed so the car knows it has a new battery. ( in most cases it does not seem necessary)

Place the battery on a low charge, with a smart charger, over night and then check to see if start/stop and your tailgate work.

I would find a mechanic that has more knowledge about new cars.

·
Registered
44 Posts
All the vehicles are equipped with start/stop and in almost all cases a low battery is the problem if it does not work.

You mentioned that a garage installed a battery, was it an AGM battery that had the same specs ? Also the new battery has to be programmed so the car knows it has a new battery. ( in most cases it does not seem necessary)

Place the battery on a low charge, with a smart charger, over night and then check to see if start/stop and your tailgate work.

I would find a mechanic that has more knowledge about new cars.
I agree with Bill. Your battery is the first place to start looking for an issue. While misalignment can absolutely cause this, it may be unnecessary and expensive to go through this process. I would assume that if it’s misaligned you would hear the tailgate motor trying to run at least. If you get silence then it might be something else. These cars (and many other modern vehicles) now have a vast array of ancillary components that require higher levels of power needs (such as the powered tailgate). This means there is more drain on the battery. The battery only charges while you are driving so if you don’t drive your car daily (or it sits for extended periods of time) or mainly do very short trips then the battery may not have a chance to replace the power used by the other components. The car will shut down power to certain components that are deemed as non essential (tail gate, stop/start system etc) when the battery level drops below a certain point in order to save enough power to start the vehicle at the next start. As Bill has advised, try charging the battery at home with a separate battery charger. If this fixes the issue then you know may have to give your battery the occasional top up charge at home if you don’t drive the car much. If the battery installed is the incorrect spec as Bill has pointed out it may also cause the issue. Another reason the battery may not be holding charge could be that the alternator has issues. The alternator is what charges the battery when the car is running. If it’s working at less than optimal levels this could cause the issue as well. These are all easy things to get checked without a big expense and a good place to start. Get advice from your local Land Rover dealer on how to go about doing these checks as using the wrong method can cause serious harm to yourself and your vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts