Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peter De Lorenzo on the Land Rover brand in his annual Brand Rankings...

Land Rover: Formerly known as a maker of clunky, cantankerous, bloated SUVs with faux status apropos of some other era not our own, Land Rover has now done a complete, 180-degree shift to become The ****. Thousands of pounds lighter and more elegant than ever before, Land Rover are now highly desirable machines. The brand has gone from stuffy without a clue to the must-have SUV statement of-the-moment. Old AE Brand Image Meter ranking? Forgettable old-world schtick. New AE Brand Image Meter ranking? Hot and with more heat to come.
THE AUTOEXTREMIST BRAND IMAGE METER IV, OR, ?HOW CAN WE GET THERE IF WE DON?T KNOW WHERE WE?RE*GOING?? - Rants - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree except I also think that they need to put some work into improving the quality of their vehicles. They have everything else going for them. The poor quality reports makes me hesitant though.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree except I also think that they need to put some work into improving the quality of their vehicles. They have everything else going for them. The poor quality reports makes me hesitant though.
One it starts eating into sales, then they might start getting worried, till then, all we can do is hope.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My LR4 was very reliable. Just had one or two minor issues with the cameras and one TPMS sensor. My Brother has had his LR4 for not quite a year, and I don't think it has been back to the dealer for anything.

Land Rover has always had its place here in the US. Granted, there were some dark days. When they finally ditched the old GM engine under the hood, things got better.

Under Ford, they made some real progress and the 2005 LR3 was a much better vehicle. The 2003 Range Rover was decent too, but the next generation of RR really got peoples attention. Now they have a strong line up. Hopefully the dark days are over.

Rob

·
Registered
284 Posts
Obviously not every vehicle has problems, but it does seem to be much more common than with some other brands. It is just something that concerns me.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Obviously not every vehicle has problems, but it does seem to be much more common than with some other brands. It is just something that concerns me.

It's called "character" wink, wink.
I'm really not sure I like alot of "character" in my daily drivers but a little is fine. :) I think I'm confident enough in LRs to buy anything after about 2010. Concerns about reliability chased us away from the signing table in 2006 when we almost bought a LR3....

I have owned 2 Triumph motorcycles. A 1999 Daytona 955 and a 2006 Daytona 675. The 955 was loaded with "character" ;). ... didn't bother me cause it was a toy. But I'd take it over any Jap bike in a heartbeat. Warts and all.
But what a difference 7 years made. The 675 was the first year of a brand new model. It was refined, smooth, modern and reliable. Still different from the norm, but not the same as a 955. I loved that 955.

But I digress, the point is that character filled vehicles CAN make great strides in reliability. Lol!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the old LR gremlins were typically electrical and borne from the auto industries expansion into electronic doodads around the millennium. any lux car from that decade is a disaster. Funny that you'll get BMW's siezed up from electrical angst yet they don't seem to have this poor rap LR's get...

But i digress because Carscoops calls the Disco Deceptively Cool...

LR's Modern-Looking Discovery Sport is Also Deceptively Cool

·
Registered
589 Posts
People break their necks turning to get a look at our Disco Sport. It is a nice looking vehicle. My neighbors love it! Some of them drive beemers, mercs and infinitis too. People ask about it often. LR got it right in the looks dept.

For those who say it looks like an Exploder...maybe only enough to be the fitter, better looking, more classy cousin. You know, the one you'd RATHER take to the dance. ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Land Rover is not considered just as a heavy-duty or a sports utility vehicle anymore but more of an all-rounder machine. This is due to its stunning design that appeals to all consumer groups while being able to support an all-terrain function.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts