Discovery Sport Forum banner

steering rack failure

25K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Conryan 
#1 ·
hi I have 65 plate se tech numerous faults however last week steering rack motor sheared of anybody else have this I can't get to Land Rover service centre however Land Rover have offered to pay for parts does anybody think this is acceptable as I pointed out to them complete steering failure so health and safety issue

#2 ·
I have a 2015 Discovery Sport and the steering rack failed on Friday (presumed sheered by the noise). Car was sold to me by a Land Rover dealership just over 12 months ago with 30K on the clock and the dealership are claiming wear and tear and offered 20% discount. I've politely declined and advised that if steering racks only last 48k under fairly light use they need to advise this at purchase. Awaiting a response but will get a solicitor involved if they don't repair as its just dangerous.

#4 ·
It appears that salt is the problem and a lot of cars seem to have been affected on the Scottish coast, an area which I would imagine is affected by salt. My car was used (and advertised as such) by the previous owner to tow a boat and on further investigations, although registered to High Wycombe it was serviced in Wales so I'm assuming a boat on the coast. I agree at speed it would be a disaster or in my case if I was towing the horse trailer.

#10 ·
Town of Leighton Buzzard ????

Only certain provinces in Canada had a recall, we do not all live under/near snowy salty roads
On certain vehicles originally sold, or currently registered in areas of heavy road salt usage during winter months (Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland & Labrador), the bolts that attach the power steering gear assist motor to the gear housing may corrode and fracture. This could allow the power steering gear assist motor to move, causing the belt to slip which could result in a loss of power steering assist. A loss of power steering assist would require additional steering effort which could increase the risk of a crash causing injury and/or damage to property. Correction: Dealers will replace the aluminum mounting bolts with coated steel bolts and will apply a corrosion-preventative sealer around the gear housing and connecting bolts. If a bolt is found to be broken or breaks during the course of the repair, a replacement steering gear will be installed.

There was this posted on an other forum.
Got this today from DVSA: in the UK

With regards to this case. The manufacturer has determined that the three aluminium retaining bolts, securing the EPAS motor to the steering rack, have failed due to inter-crystalline corrosion. This has been caused by salt water ingress between the EPAS motor and the mounting flange on the steering rack.

In order to understand the effects of power steering loss when driving a Range Rover Evoque or a discovery sport, DVSA carried out a test drive examination of a Land Rover Discovery Sport vehicle. The conclusions from the test drive are summarised below:
1. There is no evidence to suggest the vehicle does not comply with the original approval requirement.
2. The amount of effort required to control the vehicle with the EPS disconnected is greatest for manoeuvring and at lower speeds.
3. The amount of effort required with the EPS disconnected continues through the whole speed range.
4. The likely point of failure for the steering assistance motor to detach is at low speed or stationary as this is when the greatest torque is applied by the motor. At the point of maximum torque from the motor greater tensile loadings are applied to the bolts. As the load decreases the likelihood of detachment also decreases. This conclusion is based on engineering principles and experience.
5. The Driver has full braking available through the whole speed range.

It is not possible to conclude the failure of the Steering Assistance on the Range Rover Evoque and Discovery Sport due to corrosion of the retaining bolts, leading to the EPS motor detachment, meets the definition of an unsafe product, set out in the General Product Safety Regulation (GPSR) 2005 Regulation 2.
However, it is clear that drivers of these vehicles are concerned this is a safety issue and have raised this point with DVSA. It is also clear that unless remedial action is taken, steering motor bolts will continue to fail, leading to a loss of steering assistance. DVSA have recommended that that Land Rover conduct a voluntary recall to rectify those vehicles with aluminium bolts which could potentially fail.
The manufacturer has recognised the fault with steering motor bolts breaking on Range Rover Evoque (and Discovery Sport) vehicles. They have explained they are carrying out remedial work on a ‘fix on fail’ basis. However, they have chosen not to instigate a recall as they consider the vehicles meet the Type Approval requirements for a vehicle with failed power steering.
DVSA have also recommended that the manufacturer should continue to monitor the situation and provide DVSA with information on the number of cases reported. The manufacturer should also provide DVSA with any new information, which may arise and could lead to DVSA reconsidering the current conclusions or recommendations.

This concludes DVSA’s current investigations into this matter.

Regards etc.

#23 ·
Hi all

Im new here, from the UK. Recently purchased a DS 2016. I have booked the car in for a free health check at LR in north west London on Friday and I have been told by them that they will also change the power steering bolts as there is a recall on it due to them corroding! Seems like the UK have finally given in to this and are recalling it.. its not on the land rover recall checker or the gov website as a recall.

So if your from the UK, I would advise getting it booked in even if you haven't got a problem now.

#24 ·
I’ve just seen this as my 2015 Discovery Sport has just been in for a new steering rack. Horrible grinding noise. It was all paid for parts and labour by Land Rover as it’s apparently a product recall, just in case anyone else has the same issue. My car has only done 33k miles

#28 ·
Discovery Sport 2016 with under 50k miles power steering rack failed last week. Bought new from Land Rover main dealer and fully serviced with them. Told it was not the corroded bracket problem as perused on social media but failure of the unit itself. The just quoted me 3192 euro to replace the unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.