Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was going to work yesterday about 7 miles into my journey, when I came to a stop, the engine stopped as usual then a message appeared on the instrument cluster "engage gear before manuevering" and then the engine would not start after lifting my foot off the brake.

The DS started rolling back (slight incline) where I braked again and then let go thinking the engine would restart.
No dice - message flashed again and the car rolled back as if it was in neutral.

I then noticed the transmission selector had the "D" flashing.
I switched to park and then restarted the engine.

The engine restarted and started working normally.

Has anyone had this happen ?

This may be a major complaint as it is a safety issue. Imagine if I was in the middle of an intersection waiting to turn and the engine cuts out - I am stuck in the middle of cross traffic like a sitting duck!~:(

·
Registered
311 Posts
This has not happened to me. But, I have twice had it feel like it was going to stall in an intersection just after a stop sign.. I think it was ready to **** off for the eco mode, but I was not stopping that long.

Out of curiosity do you have the shift paddles enabled in D mode? If so, maybe you are hitting it by accident or it is getting confused. (i know I sound real technical :) ha) hope my thoughts help.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.
No, the shift paddles are not enabled in the D mode.
It's only active in S mode.

I just hope this stall does not happen to me when I am in freeway stop and go traffic or at an intersection....

·
Registered
139 Posts
So I was going to work yesterday about 7 miles into my journey, when I came to a stop, the engine stopped as usual then a message appeared on the instrument cluster "engage gear before manuevering" and then the engine would not start after lifting my foot off the brake.

The DS started rolling back (slight incline) where I braked again and then let go thinking the engine would restart.
No dice - message flashed again and the car rolled back as if it was in neutral.

I then noticed the transmission selector had the "D" flashing.
I switched to park and then restarted the engine.

The engine restarted and started working normally.

Has anyone had this happen ?

This may be a major complaint as it is a safety issue. Imagine if I was in the middle of an intersection waiting to turn and the engine cuts out - I am stuck in the middle of cross traffic like a sitting duck!~:(
Check out my post here:
Discovery Sport Forums - Select gear to maneuver

Personally I don't think it is safe, something is not right.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out my post here:
Discovery Sport Forums - Select gear to maneuver

Personally I don't think it is safe, something is not right.
Yes, exactly as the UK DS forum mentions - the beeping, messages and transmission select knob flashing....

So based on a UK, Canadian and now US report - this may be more an issue with the auto start stop feature.

I am going to contact the dealer and see if they can code or program the car so that the auto start stop feature is disabled.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am going to contact the dealer and see if they can code or program the car so that the auto start stop feature is disabled.
Nope, they are not allowed to do that.

However someone at an Evoque forum found a way to disconnect the secondary battery that permanently disables the auto stop/start.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hard to say what are the chances, but that is quite real, check this thread Discovery Sport Forums - Total shut-down whilst driving

According to this person LR asked the dealer to replace something called Body Control Unit. Apparently it is a component related to smartkey and security subsystem.

Definitely contact a LR representative and document that instance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nope, they are not allowed to do that.

However someone at an Evoque forum found a way to disconnect the secondary battery that permanently disables the auto stop/start.
Even better, someone at Uk forum suggested to unbuckle drivers seat belt to disable the "intelligent start/stop" feature.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am concerned about this safety issue and looking at getting a dash cam that will record both inside dash/nav screen as well as outside.

Anyone know of a wide angle lens dash cam that I can get ?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1 Posts
Land Rover Stops and "D" blinks red and cuts off. Truck rolls back

Mines has done the same thing twice. I took it to the dealership and he says they couldn't find anything wrong with it. How did Land Rover Fix this issue?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mines has done the same thing twice. I took it to the dealership and he says they couldn't find anything wrong with it. How did Land Rover Fix this issue?
Hmmm - guess there are others that have seen what I had experienced.
I had this issue shortly after taking delivery of the DS in late 2015.

As of today, I found that after 2 rounds of warranty / recall work, the programming has changed this issue.

I have not had this happen any more after it received these changes in 2016 & 2017: powertrain software updates, telematics module replacement, O2 sensors, transmission updates....

Make sure your Discovery have received all the free factory updates from 2016 and 2017....

·
Registered
316 Posts
My dealer says that they never heard of this problem and that I was doing something wrong. Talked to a different dealer a week ago about maintenance costs and mentioned it to the rep. He asked if the "d" light started flashing and said they knew about it and a car was in the shop for the exact problem that day. So one dealer says it is my fault ???? and the more experienced dealer says it was a major problem with early Evoques and some Discos. The software updates solved most problems but in some cars they had to update individual components such as the ABS. Has happened to me only once since the last software updates last fall.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not surprised at all.

Some dealers are ignorant while others are very knowledgeable.

Before I purchased the DS, I asked the service manager various service complaint questions to gauge whether I am going to deal with an attitude ridden person or not.

I chose my selling dealer based on the service dept manager's stance on customer issues.
So far, the service dept has been excellent even though I have to drive past 2 other LR dealers to get to them....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Some dealers are ignorant while others are very knowledgeable.
------
I chose my selling dealer based on the service dept manager's stance on customer issues.
So far, the service dept has been excellent even though I have to drive past 2 other LR dealers to get to them....
Looks like my next service will be at the furthest service from our house, lucky for us we have 3 dealers close by.

B

·
0 Posts
Looks like my next service will be at the furthest service from our house, lucky for us we have 3 dealers close by.
I concur Bill. After my recent service experience with a dealership that shall remain nameless (close to both of us ?) I feel I will be doing the same....

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This has also happened to me once. I also then shifted to park and restarted the engine and all was well again.
Good to know this has happened to others as well.

I thought I was the only one who experienced this glitch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts