Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite becoming a bit reluctant after reading about turbo lag, various rattles, etc, etc, I can't get my mind off the Disco. Seems like the safer choice would be my backup (an XC60) but well, pretty sure my heart is trumping my head on this one.

A few questions I'm hoping owners can help me with:

1) Is the audio upgrade worth it? I have NO interest in paying for, or even really having satellite radio. But I do like my music loud. Is the subwoofer worth paying $800 for, or is the 10 speaker system fine?

2) Does the tow package (on a 5 seater) hinder ground clearance or departure angle severely? Nothing to tow at the moment, but do have a bike rack that fits a hitch and planning on a boat within the next 3 years. Wondering if I should add this now or wait.

3) Any other advice/watch-outs? I've made the dealer very aware that I'd like potential rattles and squeaks looked at/addressed before this thing ships. Not sure what else I can do but hope for the best when it comes to some of the minor annoyances that seem to be common with this vehicle.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Despite becoming a bit reluctant after reading about turbo lag, various rattles, etc, etc, I can't get my mind off the Disco. Seems like the safer choice would be my backup (an XC60) but well, pretty sure my heart is trumping my head on this one.

1) Is the audio upgrade worth it? I have NO interest in paying for, or even really having satellite radio. But I do like my music loud. Is the subwoofer worth paying $800 for, or is the 10 speaker system fine?

2) Does the tow package (on a 5 seater) hinder ground clearance or departure angle severely? Nothing to tow at the moment, but do have a bike rack that fits a hitch and planning on a boat within the next 3 years. Wondering if I should add this now or wait.

3) Any other advice/watch-outs? I've made the dealer very aware that I'd like potential rattles and squeaks looked at/addressed before this thing ships. Not sure what else I can do but hope for the best when it comes to some of the minor annoyances that seem to be common with this vehicle.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum!

You have been bitten by the Land Rover bug!>:D

Compared to the Volvo which I cross shopped and test drove, I have to say on dry pavement, the Volvo FWD is fine but once the traction becomes slippery, the part time AWD is not very grippy. I have had so many AWD SUV in the past - Honda Pilot w/ part time AWD & BMW with X Drive technology and have to say that the Land Rover 4WD is superior even on rainy surfaces which I can tell immediately.:D

Land Rover's 4WD is amazing - reminds me of my first locked torque axle BMW (E53 first gen X5) prior to X Drive. Nowadays, the current competition AWD is just not great for the grippy drives. Land Rover blows them all away....:)

I am so glad I traded in my boring Honda for this fun to drive Discovery Sport!

To answer your questions:
1. Audio Upgrade $800 is well worth the extra 80watts and subwoofer. Makes a big difference when I plug in my USB stick and listen to MP3, M4A. It also makes huge difference for FM, AM HD, and satellite....

2. I don't have the tow package and will probably add one (U Haul) later when I get my boat. The departure angle will be negligibly affected by the tow bar. Beware the tow weight limits - it is not a 10,000 pound rated car - it's around 4500 pounds so a small bass or short v hull is about what it can tow.

3. As for the dealer, they won't address your concerns for rattles, annoyances, and glitches as the car is under warranty. Just make sure you are comfortable meeting with the service manager before signing the deal. Also check online: Dealer Rater or Yelp to find out how their service department first before meeting the service manager.

I for one, prefer my service manager - we met during a test drive and now I contact him directly for my concerns and he always says he will have a Jag or Evoque loaner when I am ready to come in soon.

My current concerns for him to address on my '16 Disco are:
1. Fuel Gauge misread - shows empty when I have 5 gallons left in the tank.
2. Squeaky rear seat noise
3. Navigation screen failure to load
4. Navigation voice sometimes has garbage words/letters rambling
5. Speakers sounding like they are loose when low bass is up high...

Even with those glitches, I am still in love with the Discovery Sport.
Yes I could have just gotten a problem free BMW or Porsche but when it came to the superior drive, connected ride, and fun on the road - the Disco is the tops!:)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree with 4sallypat. And here are my 2 cents:

Yes get the audio upgrade. Save you sometime, effort and money on looking for upgrades later.

If you are in the us, our DS runs on a ford ecoboost turbo engine with 241 hp stick which is more powerful than the ones in uk or other countries in the world. I personally do not feel that there is turbo lag or it is not significant at least for me. Not a concern I would say.

I love the exterior design esthetics of the DS. However I wished all black moldings would've been color coded like the new Volvo. I haven't been inside of the Volvo but I can tell you the interior of DS isn't all that impressive. It uses significant amount of cheap plastics. If you like modification. This wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Without knowing too much of the Volvo I would still recommend the DS over it because it's just a great looking compact suv with plenty of space

·
Registered
45 Posts
Trust me its worth it! And don't be misguided, all cars will have a little bit of niggle here and there, I come from a lexus and if you go on their forums (specially the disco competitor the NX), its full of small trim issues and random rattles. Personally no rattles on mine (that I can hear). I also drive in S mode, and 99% of the time no turbo lag which is as good as it gets in most automatics

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree with most of what's been said.

Sport mode will improve low end power and acceleration dramatically and virtually eliminate any perceived lag. Also, regular mode is fine for most situations and turbo lag is seldom and situational. Once you get used to the car, you'll learn its minor quirks.

I have the audio upgrade and it kills my bmw x3 stock speakers. I'd also say it's better than the BMW HK upgrade I got in a loaner once. I've never been in a DS without the audio upgrade, so I don't know the difference in sound. I don't care about sat radio either, but I think that you can only tune local HD stations with the upgrade, but I could be wrong.

I personally like the DS interior (mine's almond/black) and I think it's nicer than the xc60. That new xc90 is quite a different story though.

With respect to noise/rattles, I get a bit of seat squeaking on really rough roads, but otherwise no rattles.

Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I went from a Jeep Wrangler to this Discovery Sport and as much as I was a Jeep guy... I love this. My model does not have many of the bells and whistles, but I really enjoy it every bit.

I got the tow hitch installes and the bumper kit that comes with it really looks nice. I need a Class 3 hitch to match my bike rake and other ewuipment so the dealer is finding an option with Land Rover for me. Currently they have a class 2 they install as their hitch... No real options. It really does not look to impede any clearences.

I do not have the Xenon lights and regret that.

I also dont have the radio upgrade and also like loud music... I had a sub in my Jeep... But the clarity of the Disco stock is amazing. I am happy with it.

I also got the roof rails, crossbars, and aqua rack to make up for no ability to stoke my surfboard in the rear window.

I also do not have the touch entry because I like to lock my key in my tow hitch while surfing and people would be able to get in and maybe even drive away. :)

The ride, power, and offroad ability is amazing. It really is an awesome vehicle.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Thanks in advance!
I also have to add that I'm not noticing the turbo lag that much anymore. It's been said that the computer trains itself to your driving style and sorts some of the lag issues, etc. I swear it gotten a lot better. It's not just my imagination. My wife has even noticed, and if she notices, that's saying something. This little 4 banger is no slouch. It's also fun to paddle shift.

1) I have the HSE Lux. The package includes a 250W, 11 speaker sound system w/subwoofer. Honestly it sounds very good, but I can not tell there's a sub in the vehicle. So you're not going to get any bumps in this car. But you can play it loud and it sounds good. You won't even notice the rattles... LOL!

2) I've only seen it in pictures. The U.K. Gets a foldable hitch, I don't think we do, just a Class III and from the pics I've seen of it, it does stick out, maybe not as much on the 5 seater though.....I've only seen it on a 7 seater. But I doubt it will effect the ground clearance to hinder any offroading that Disco owners might be doing. Consult your dealer and see what their opinion is as well.

3) Nothing much to look out for that's not already here on the forum. There's issues that everyone has and a few that seem to be random. Note that you do not get a cargo cover unless you order it separately.

I'll tell you we love our Disco.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Trust me its worth it! And don't be misguided, all cars will have a little bit of niggle here and there, I come from a lexus and if you go on their forums (specially the disco competitor the NX), its full of small trim issues and random rattles. Personally no rattles on mine (that I can hear). I also drive in S mode, and 99% of the time no turbo lag which is as good as it gets in most automatics
This is true and at least LR is addressing them. LR doesn't have an honest to goodness "squeaks and rattles kit" for no good reason..LOL!

As for rattles, etc. I have driven three pre owned X5s and they rattled like a boxcar full of BBs. I have had a few trucks rattle from both Ford and RAM, I had a Jeep Commander that squeaked. The rental Ford Exploder we are in right now has....wait for it.... a squeak and rattle. And that's a mass produced and highly refined vehicle. They happen.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do it.

1) Mine didn't come with the audio upgrade, just the standard speakers. I don't like to blast music anyway, and for just regular listening and a little background noise from the radio or from bluetooth audio, I think they work just fine. Would nicer speakers probably be nice? Yeah... sure. Would I pay extra 800 bucks for them? Probably not.

2) Don't have a tow package. My other vehicle is a 2015 F-150 , I do all my towing with that.

3) I've not had anywhere near the severe rattles and squeaks that others have mentioned - but I do get some random "noises". I don't think it's really a problem - roads around Boston here are *really* cracked, uneven, and potholed... and it's only when I go over a particularly rough patch that I get the noises. Also with the temperatures dropping in to single digits now, I get some creaks and random sounds in the morning when I just start the car and leave the garage. After the car warms up all noises are gone.

Honestly, I can't really say one negative thing about the DS. I've had mine about 2 weeks now.
It took maybe a day or two to get used to the engine and trans shifting, and it's not a huge issue - just expect that it will feel different (as each car does from the next for the most part). Get to learn how it works, once you're use to it it'll feel fine. Or just drive in S mode - no issues at all.

Surprised how planted this thing feels on the road - as I mentioned above, my other vehicle is a full size pickup weight in at almost 2.5 tons, and the DS feels just as planted as that. It handles beautifully on the highway, interior is almost silent to road noise and its a comfortable ride. No it won't feel as soft as maybe a Lexus or Audi in the same class, but wait til it snows or roads get a little slick... and you'll come out on top every time.

Just do it man.
I love this thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all!

These comments, and prolonged staring at my custom order Disco PDF, have led me to pull the trigger.

Looking forward to my (somewhat) bumping, hopefully not rattling Disco! Now comes the impatient 3 month wait... :/

·
Registered
87 Posts
These comments, and prolonged staring at my custom order Disco PDF, have led me to pull the trigger.

Looking forward to my (somewhat) bumping, hopefully not rattling Disco! Now comes the impatient 3 month wait... :/
Good stuff man!
What'd you order? Or are you holding out to post photos when you take delivery :p

·
Registered
104 Posts
here is what I'd like to know: is there any reason NOT to drive in S mode? It seems that S mode is better than D in almost every way. I exclusively drive in S mode to for the better low end acceleration (I think it's super clumsy and sluggish in D mode . . . )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did HSE in corris grey with the black contrast roof/black package. 18" black 511s. Almond leather with ebony morzine headliner. Tacking on premium audio, driver assist, a tow package and mud flaps. Looks slick on a computer screen! Can't wait.

·
Registered
45 Posts
here is what I'd like to know: is there any reason NOT to drive in S mode? It seems that S mode is better than D in almost every way. I exclusively drive in S mode to for the better low end acceleration (I think it's super clumsy and sluggish in D mode . . . )
I think S mode only makes the throttle more sensitive and the gear box hold gears longer / more likely to downshift... so if you have a natural lead foot then you don't need S mode since you will drive wide open throttle all the time :p

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, if you're like me and your morning commute has you sitting in stop start traffic for almost an hour :p S just... isn't necessary haha.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Did HSE in corris grey with the black contrast roof/black package. 18" black 511s. Almond leather with ebony morzine headliner. Tacking on premium audio, driver assist, a tow package and mud flaps. Looks slick on a computer screen! Can't wait.
Nice color combo.:)
Can't wait for a photo when you get it in your custom order DS.

Are you in a hot climate part of the US ?
If so, you may want to get the climate comfort package as that will give you seat cooling. Being in Southern California desert areas, I have to say not having a sweaty back 8 months of the year is a godsend...

But now during our brief cold spell for a few months, I do like the heated steering, heated windshield, and heated seats as winter is only down in the 40's......

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, if you're like me and your morning commute has you sitting in stop start traffic for almost an hour :p S just... isn't necessary haha.
As a Greater Bostonian I can relate to your traffic woes, although now I only need to drive to the commuter rail station.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fuel economy is likely the biggest factor for me. I'm currently testing the difference. Will report back in a week or so :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just received my disco today after a painfully long 3 month wait. I had to keep my heart in control by taking a land rover experience course (which was awesome). I love the speakers, the Bluetooth sync, voice control, pano roof. I love it unconditionally. With a roof rack should be ready for Tahoe this weekend! Get it, you won't regret it!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts