Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have much experience using the grass/gravel/snow setting?

This winter has been a bit more snowy here in MN then last year. I've used the snow terrain response setting quite a bit and it's pretty awesome.

I was skeptical when I first got the DS that it wouldn't really do much at all. However I can tell almost immediately switching into the mode that the car handles better and feels a lot more stable in slippery conditions. I've gotten so used to it that I accidentally slid through an intersection the other day driving my wife's X3. Whoops :)

Consider me impressed and having such a useful setting will make me think twice about buying a non JLR suv in the future!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Haven't used the Snow mode but I have used the Mud/Ruts mode and it was great.

Reactions: 4sallypat

·
Registered
588 Posts
Anyone else have much experience using the grass/gravel/snow setting?

This winter has been a bit more snowy here in MN then last year. I've used the snow terrain response setting quite a bit and it's pretty awesome.

I was skeptical when I first got the DS that it wouldn't really do much at all. However I can tell almost immediately switching into the mode that the car handles better and feels a lot more stable in slippery conditions. I've gotten so used to it that I accidentally slid through an intersection the other day driving my wife's X3. Whoops :)

Consider me impressed and having such a useful setting will make me think twice about buying a non JLR suv in the future!
Yes very impressed with the traction ability of the Disco!
Took her to the snow in the Eastern Sierras and had a blast even on the factory supplied all season tires.

At a R1 chain checkpoint, the state highway patrol would pull over every car and make 2WD cars and big rig trucks put on chains while AWD and 4WD cars w/ A/S or snow rated tires to pass without chains but had to show the officer we had chains just in case it got bad (R2 chain control).

What I found: Discovery in snow mode never slipped - never slid - never fishtailed while other cars even with AWD would lose traction.

What this tells me: Traction control systems vary by manufacturer - case in point: I had a Mercedes 4Matic and it would slip, slide, and fishtail all the time in snow/ice. Then I had 15 years of BMWs with XDRIVE and it did the same - very disappointing. It appears most other manufacturers do not make true 4WD traction systems - they use the inexpensive clutch packs and single axle on demand AWD systems.... The Discovery maintains a firm grip on any condition even with A/S tires which means the Discovery is truly a 4WD vehicle - quite rare these days.....

Just for the winter, next week I am getting a set of winter tires (Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2) so that I can really go places where other cars cannot! >:D

·
Registered
258 Posts
I used it a few times last year during a bad snow storm (we don't get many in NC where I live). It worked great! I tried switching out of the snow mode and as soon as I did I felt the car slipping in the snow/ice. Put it back into snow mode and left it there. Had no more trouble. I figured the car certainly knew what it was doing in the snow.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've used it some and it does great. Just be sure traction control/stability control is turned all the way off. I don't think it completely disables on its own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The same system is used in the Evoque. Last year when I had an Evoque we had a huge snow storm in Seattle and I was able to get to places that other SUV's were having issues getting to.

I've used the Disco in other snowy conditions and the scary moment I had was driving on black ice but the system gained traction when it started to slide. Had to slow down to 20mph but got home safe and sound. I'll always have a LR product because of how safe they have been for me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I used it a fair amount this year here in Toronto Canada. I cant imagine owning a vehicle now without it. I just cant get over how fast you can launch off a light in snow haha.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since it's our first winter, we didn't go with winter tires, we have the snazzy factory all seasons. It's been snowy where we are & go in the PNW. I've been impressed with launches in snow mode with one caveat. I actually don't mind breaking traction as in some circumstances, that's actually advantageous. So will do some further analysis next time it dumps or I'm in the mountains (which is a 5 minute drive away).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts