Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few thousand kms ago I started experience a rough and inconsistent idle along with a slight vibration when I come to a stop sign or stop light. Essentially anytime I am on the brakes a full 100% the car vibrates. I feel it in the steering wheel, driver and passenger seats, center console etc. However, no check engine light.

Took the vehicle in and they found a faulty O2 sensor which was replaced. It solved the inconsistent idle but the vibration is still present. After three service visits we can't seem to nail down the cause. I called Land Rover Canada and they have now opened a case for further investigation.

I am not sure if anyone else is experiencing this but figured I would start a thread and keep people updated in the event it happens to other owners. I will post updates as they come in.

I am at 42,000km and the problem started around 37,000km.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I experience the exact same thing in my car. My entire body vibrates, but especially hands on the wheel. I have brought it in multiple times and have been consistently told that is how the car is expected to perform. Each time I've brought it in, I've had a Disco Sport loaner. Not one of them has done this. I will continue to update my on-going saga in my thread around all the issues I have.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I experience the exact same thing in my car. My entire body vibrates, but especially hands on the wheel. I have brought it in multiple times and have been consistently told that is how the car is expected to perform. Each time I've brought it in, I've had a Disco Sport loaner. Not one of them has done this. I will continue to update my on-going saga in my thread around all the issues I have.

Sorry to hear you're going through the same issue as me but I am partly happy to hear I am not the only one going through it. I have suggested cleaning the throttle plate, intake air control valve...everything. They keep telling me until a code comes up there is nothing they can do.
Like you, the loaners behave perfectly which is why I will not accept that this is normal and how the vehicle should behave.

Shoot up a link or I will look for your thread to follow it as well.

·
Super Moderator
360 Posts
The one time I had a similar problem with vibration I had filled up in the USA and the fuel had 10% ethanol (or more I think). It was not bad just an unwelcome change. Lucky for me that the closest gas station is a Chevron that has 94 octane non ethanol fuel. Only in BC I think. Shell also has 91 octane non ethanol fuel as well, I think Canada wide.

What fuel are you using??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm running 91 octane from Petro Canada. The Service manger did suggest I run a few tanks of 94 octane which I did but still nothing. Appointment sent for next week. Fingers crossed they find something.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A few thousand kms ago I started experience a rough and inconsistent idle along with a slight vibration when I come to a stop sign or stop light. Essentially anytime I am on the brakes a full 100% the car vibrates. I feel it in the steering wheel, driver and passenger seats, center console etc. However, no check engine light.
I've seen something like this with other vehicles. What it turned out to be was a warped brake rotor. Nothing electronic, so no codes or lights.
The key is if the vibrating stops when you fully stop then it could well be the brake rotor.
The shaking can be really bad depending on how bad the rotor warp is. The fix is either to turn the rotor (the usual fix) or replace it if it's really bad.

I've had my share of problems and issues with the vehicle and service. Almost always.... "Cannot reproduce" or "Can't do that".
I've opened a case with LR_USA - that was 3 weeks ago. They said 48hour response turn-around. But I made allowances due to it being the holidays.
Still waiting.......................

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have officially been told by Land Rover Canada that if the tech (last ditch effort appointment booked for next week) deems this vibration to be normal behavior, my case will immediately close. I would have imagined more support when calling head office to work through this issue but alas I was wrong. Considering one of the tech's did confirm feeling a slight vibration at start up and when cold outside, I asked Land Rover to at least acknowledge this in a letter or my file so my ass isn't on the hook for any repairs down the road that may be related to this issue. I am certain this amount of vibration will prematurely wear and tear other components of the vehicle. I work in aerospace engineering and see this type of stuff all the time.

With that said, I fear I will have to walk away from the brand at lease end. Huge loss for us as I love many of the vehicles in the line up but I just have no confidence in the mechanics at land rover nor the corporate side of it.

In the event something is discovered next week, I will share.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have officially been told by Land Rover Canada that if the tech (last ditch effort appointment booked for next week) deems this vibration to be normal behavior, my case will immediately close. I would have imagined more support when calling head office to work through this issue but alas I was wrong. Considering one of the tech's did confirm feeling a slight vibration at start up and when cold outside, I asked Land Rover to at least acknowledge this in a letter or my file so my ass isn't on the hook for any repairs down the road that may be related to this issue. I am certain this amount of vibration will prematurely wear and tear other components of the vehicle. I work in aerospace engineering and see this type of stuff all the time.

With that said, I fear I will have to walk away from the brand at lease end. Huge loss for us as I love many of the vehicles in the line up but I just have no confidence in the mechanics at land rover nor the corporate side of it.

In the event something is discovered next week, I will share.
Best of luck to you. Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I truly don't believe that LR cares about you after you purchase their vehicle. After service "cannot reproduce" multiple times, we opened a case for the transmission sluggishness problem on December 19, 2017. I was told 48 hour response time. No response since. My wife called up just today and they said there was a note on the case that the rep called the "retailer" (most likely dealer/service), nothing else. No call to us, none. My wife was forwarded to the rep who has the case and had to leave a message. No response yet.
I'm still trying to understand the almost complete lack of customer service.
$50,000+ vehicle? This was supposed to be our retirement car.
I had something similar with a 2004 BMW X3 in 2005/6, we got rid of the vehicle within 2 years.
At this point I don't know what else to do.
I just want a vehicle I don't need to fight to drive.

Bottom line.............Unless something drastically changes, I will never purchase another Land Rover again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel a large part of the problem (this may just be local to me) is that we have thousands of land rover/jaguar vehicles on the road but only a handful of dealerships to perform maintenance. As a result, the techs are overworked and our vehicles are not getting the required attention to properly diagnose and resolve the issues. When I call into my local dealership for service, I am averaging a 20-30 day wait for an appointment. It's insane.

I even requested on my own dime that the tech review my throttle plate and idle air control valve as potential causes and I was told "if a code is not showing up and the sensors are functioning, then there is nothing I can do for you whether you're paying or not"

·
Registered
59 Posts
and I was told "if a code is not showing up and the sensors are functioning, then there is nothing I can do for you whether you're paying or not"
I've heard that before. Problem is that it "may" be that some codes may be "cleared" (see below).
My intent is to bring this thread text with to service on my next scheduled service.

.... In a thread on another site the following was a statement made by a LR person in the UK to an LRDS owner in the UK................................................
"......We had one in from the police today a Discovery Sport very late 2016 model in with your fault, but it had a Twist with it, it was also a software glitch and EGR fault this is what you’re problem is most likely to be. With regards with the main dealer stating that no codes are present, this can be true sometimes as when the ignition is turned off the codes can be cleared from the ECU this why I suggested a cheap code reader. If the car is only six months old and you can prove that it’s not fit for purpose you have a case, sadly I hear this all the time now and about a year ago we gain a customer from the main dealer that tried to pull the wool over her eyes I took up her case on her behalf after they got nowhere with them (M-D) we got full refund and credit on her next service which she hasn’t taking up and paid to replace damaged items, it’s all about service and returning customers let’s see if JLR and the main dealer will walk the talk for you......."
Another post in the same thread mentioned that she had a possible EGR problem that was "fixed" by applying two pence pieces - she believes - at the EGR valve.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^ I have thought about picking up a code reader or taking it to a non authorized land rover repair shop (I have one close to my office). I imagined asking them to diagnose and then have a dealer complete the work.

Sadly Land Rover Canada provided next to no support. I went for a drive with the tech who noticed the vibration I am speaking about and he explained that all of Land Rover's 2L/4 cylinder engines are known to vibrate and be sluggish and these symptoms show worse in colder weather. To his knowledge, there is no current repair for this issue. However, his report to Land Rover Canada did not mention any acknowledgment of the vibration at all but rather "dealer cannot recreate customer reported fault". When I explained the conversation about the vibration with the tech and how he acknowledged it, they responded explaining it was not in the report therefore the case will close.

I guess I was just being stubborn because this vibration did not exist for the first 37,000km which included a cold winter last year. Anyhow, I imagined Land Rover Canada would have leaned on the dealership a bit to look at little deeper at the issue but alas, nothing more than a follow up phone call.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts