Discovery Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
We experience this routinely with our Evoque when making short level right turns. It is repeatable... and this is a serious hazard. The rpms drop and it is as if the engine is about to stall. Thought it might be some form of oil starvation, or turbo lag, but the more we experience this it seems like the transmission is reacting incorrectly. A trip to the dealer yesterday resulted in the standard "don't see it" response and a suggestion to run in sport mode all the time. Very unimpressed.

Our 5L RR has never given us these types of problems.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Maybe it is due for an update? After an update on mine and me asking them to "reset" my programming... My lag disappated remarkably.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 2015 DS is in the dealer's shop after being in an accident, so they provided me a 2018 DS loaner, which has the new Ingenium engine. It's almost like a different car! It drives 1000x better than the 2015 version and is much more confident and even in its acceleration.

You 2018 owners are very lucky!

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 2015 DS is in the dealer's shop after being in an accident, so they provided me a 2018 DS loaner, which has the new Ingenium engine. It's almost like a different car! It drives 1000x better than the 2015 version and is much more confident and even in its acceleration.

You 2018 owners are very lucky!
yeah.. I was given 2018 during a recent service....big difference for sure....makes me worry about the ability to resell my vehicle in a few years....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine is still at the dealer but ready for pickup - they said they applied a software update to the transmission that might help resolve it but they are not sure!
As a side note - they confirmed to me clearly that they are aware of this specific problem of slow acceleration in turns as they faced this in many other DSs and get these type of complaints frequently from other DS owners!
This is really disappointing to see that Land Rover is not addressing such disturbing issue which also connected to the safety and I'm going to challenge it with the Land Rover America customer service after picking up the car back.

·
Registered
590 Posts
We have a 2015 and had this problem when we first got our DS. Over time it seemed that the computer made adjustments and it got better. Which I think is what Land Rover was banking on. Then it regressed and the problem returned but worse. I took it back to them and said don’t call me until it’s fixed...They replaced the transmission. It’s now a lot better than it was but still not really where I’d like it to be and still not as snappy as the newer loaner that I was given. So they obviously did something on the later models that helped a bunch. But as I said, it’s better and We are living with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 and it lags off the start when given full throttle. It accelerates quickly if already in motion but from a stop, not so well. Bad deal if you are trying to beat cross traffic at a stop sign.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine is still at the dealer but ready for pickup - they said they applied a software update to the transmission that might help resolve it but they are not sure!
As a side note - they confirmed to me clearly that they are aware of this specific problem of slow acceleration in turns as they faced this in many other DSs and get these type of complaints frequently from other DS owners!
This is really disappointing to see that Land Rover is not addressing such disturbing issue which also connected to the safety and I'm going to challenge it with the Land Rover America customer service after picking up the car back.
PLease come back and report after you hear from JLR USA and from the dealer..... would like to know how they handle this issue.....thank you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
They simply did not address it in any way but acknowledge the issue exist, they see it also in other DSs but JLR does not have an naswer for that....still waiting to hear back for JLR USA - No word so far and 2 weeks passed.
At this point in time and as this is a real safety issue (The service guy at the dealership also agreed with me about that!) I'm going to move forward with trade-in to a different brand... I was hopeing Landrover improved its quality and reliability by now but it seems like nothing changed.
BTW, The dealer did try to make an upsale getting me into a new 2018 DS but after I drove it, it is completly exactly the same with no even little change - the guys there did acknowledged nothing changed between the models - ALL exactly the same - Engine/transmission/Turbo etc so I'm not sure why people here are saying they feel its different - quoting also the sales guy "The only difference is that this is a new car than yours". No matter what, as long as there is this turbo in this engine nothing would get really better.
Thanks god I was smart enough to lease it and not buying it - And amazingly - Nothing I experienced with any other brands cars I bought/leased in the past - After 2 yrs lease of the DS I still have negative equity in the car (!) - Not surprisingly this animal value depreciate in the fastst pace I ever experienced :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discosal ....something doesn't sound right about the 2018 model you checked out at the dealer....also, can't believe the dealer is so uneducated about the lineup.
JLR started selling all 2018 Disco Sports with the upgraded engine - the Ingenium
yes - it's also I4 with turbo but yet it is very different from the previous years
You sure you were talking about 2018 and not 2017 ??

otherwise I have to say that I agree with you.... I am also somehow disappointed with the vehicle.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discosal ....something doesn't sound right about the 2018 model you checked out at the dealer....also, can't believe the dealer is so uneducated about the lineup.
JLR started selling all 2018 Disco Sports with the upgraded engine - the Ingenium
yes - it's also I4 with turbo but yet it is very different from the previous years
You sure you were talking about 2018 and not 2017 ??

otherwise I have to say that I agree with you.... I am also somehow disappointed with the vehicle.
Never underestimate the ignorance of dealership employees. Do your own research and just use them to facilitate a test drive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have mine in right now for the acceleration problem.
I'm told - after much testing - that there a bad valve design in the transmission.
I have a new one on the way, but it's been 3 week.
I'll let you know if that does the trick.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine is back again at the dealership with check engine light on...... so annoying and dissapointing.
I'll ask them about this valve too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine is coming home today with no resolution due to supplier (ZF) problems after 3 week in the shop.
No ETA on the new valve.
Same here, annoying and disappointing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good Morning (Discovery Sport 240cv 9 speed auto may 2018)
yes I have the same with a horrible vengance. That is why I am on this site as I have tried many times to get the LandRover dealer to sort it out. Terrible hesitation on corners, especially if there is an incline involved and it hesitates dangerously when you approach a roundabout, let off the throttle, see a gap and accelerate to get through but the car does not respond, just goes flat and then you are side on to the oncoming traffic for a horribly long 2 to 3 seconds while the gearbox "thinks" before responding and thanfully so far I have excaped unscathed, but my wife is terrified of the car.
There is a fundamental fault on this engine ECU and transmission link that needs to be address by LandRover UK immediately.
If anybody has any solutions I would be very happy to know.
thank you

·
Registered
59 Posts
Biggles: Same here - been fighting this for 1.5 years. Scary at times, wife not happy either.
Synopsis: Called service first summer (2017) , brought it in August - they said they found nothing.
Then brought it in in April 2018 and pressed the issue. They found a bulletin about a ZF transmission bad valve design.
They had to do quite a bit of testing and had to get approval. Problem was verified as the ZF transmission valve.
Back and forth - bulletin disappears valves shipped were the old one.
Got the vehicle back after 3 weeks. No fix. Service said they would call, never did. I called a couple of times - no response.
Last week called and got no response so I pushed. Got the Service director. Parts had been sitting (less a tube).
Waiting now for confirmation that the tube arrived so I can bring it in to get the valve replaced.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was trying to fight this with JLR America's support + the dealer for 2Yrs with no success - every single time they did not find any errors/failures in the system and sent me back. I finally gave up this summer and moved on the F-Pace - a completely different beast..... I will never go back to Discovery Sport no matter what improvements they will introduce in the future - that's my main take from 2yrs with this animal.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I do not have any problems in turns but wonder if the esp could be the problem. The car has a high center of balance and could roll over if someone made a sharp turn and accelerated at the same time, so maybe the computer is just trying to prevent roll over??

·
Registered
34 Posts
We experienced the delayed aggressive shift when our 2017 Discovery Sport was new. It rarely occurs now, given three things we do: use ECO mode, use Sport transmission selection, and always drive with both hands on the steering wheel.
The normal mode uses a very aggressive throttle response. I would always leave the line with the headrest smacking me in the back of the head. After driving some other JLR loaners with adjustable throttle respone, I realized my primary car is most similar to the Discovery’s ECO mode. This setting gives me a similar delayed throttle response without having to readjust my foot motion between cars.
The Sport transmission selection hangs onto each gear for higher Rpm’s, so shifts are less frequent. Sport mode around city streets works much better, while drive is better on the highway.
Again my primary car is a sports sedan, so this SUV bucks around more in turns. The tighter the turn, the worse. Keeping both hands on the wheel avoids a side to side rocking of the vehicle and steering wheel together. I see some comments about the AWD or ESP contributing to the issue, so maybe that is why a more balanced cornering helps.
I really think LR tired to make the straight line acceleration very good, but it results in this unintended affect. With adjusting the settings (or letting the transmission learning), we have been able to make it a minor rare occurrence.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Update...
I just retrieved my LRDS back yesterday. 15 months and the sluggish acceleration problem may be fixed.
The sluggishness is now down to a more or less "normal " turbo lag. I still have to drive this awhile to see what shakes out.

Finally had the sluggish acceleration transmission thing addressed.
So far it looks like the new designed ZF transmission valve may have fixed the problem.
The process is frustrating. Getting them to acknowledge the problem was one hurdle.
Then getting the parts was another. Then getting them to call was another.
I have it back now and it "seems" okay so far.
I will keep you posted.

BTW - if anyone knows of any computer / config hacks, please post the workaround for some of the more irritating problems.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts