Discovery Sport Forum banner

Slamming the hood?

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  USER.000 
#1 ·
I often find that I have to slam the hood several times or REAL HARD to get the sensor to turn off the red signal on the dash.

I am always concerned since on my last car (Lexus RX) the headlights both started fogging up due to minor cracking which dealer said was due to slamming too hard/too often.

Is everyone else experiencing same or my latch super-special?

#2 ·
I experienced the same. however later I noticed that if the car was on, there was no problem clearing the sensor when I closed the hood regardless what force level I used. the sensor only came on if I closed the hood before I turned on engine. so finally concluded that the hood was shut and locked, and I just needed to clear the sensor to let computer know that it is closed. there is an option at the start of engine to clear the hood open sensor, all you need to do is hit - ok, then the hood open warning sign will disappear. hope this helps.

#4 ·
Same problem here. I tried for two days to get the sensor to recognize that the hood was actually closed and latched to no avail. Only after slamming the **** out of it did the sensor recognize that it was closed. Whether the car was running or not when I closed the hood had no impact on the sensor.

This is a bigger problem than it might sound. If the computer thinks that the hood is open, it will not allow you to lock the vehicle. Consequently, I was unable to lock mine during those two days. The auto start/stop function is also disabled if the computer thinks the hood is open as well.

#5 ·
Update: Took my DS in for service this week and they looked at the hood issue. Service guys said there was a problem with the latch mechanism in some DS. Consequently, they removed the entire latch mechanism and replaced with a new one. Problem has been solved for me.

#6 ·
At first, I thought in order to properly close the hood I had to slam it w/ the force of the Hulk. Even then, the hood didn't latch! Now, I gently bring it down then I just place my palm on the edge at the center portion of the hood and push down w/ my weight. Works every time for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.