Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2016 I purchased my new Disco Sport and have had it regularly serviced since then. Few weeks ago, during a regular service (expecting to pay a small amount for new oil etc.) I was told that it needed a complete new engine and turbo. Understandably, a complete shock to me. In the end I paid just under £6,000 and obviously feel very aggrieved that I had expected a Land Rover engine to last more than just 5 years! Moreover, when I collected the car I was initially told that it had a new engine. Only when I enquired was I told that it was in fact reconditioned. Then it gets worse: A couple of weeks after getting the car back (after c300 miles) I checked the oil, fully expecting it to be topped up after a test drive at the garage before handing the car back to me, but I discovered the dipstick was bone dry between the low and high marks. Another complete shock. The garage (Hendy Southampton) have just checked the engine and there are no leaks. They also clearly imply that it's a fault on my part that the dipstick showed no oil between the markers. In short, my error, not theirs. I contest this, not least as I was never told that a replacement engine might use more oil after installation (as already mentioned, I fully expected it to be topped up after a test drive at the garage before handing the car back to me). As things stand, they refuse to even compensate me for having to add emergency oil when I discovered a dry dipstick. I do find this an appalling situation. Has anyone else had a similar problem as I might yet submit a claim to the county court small claims procedure?

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
567 Posts
Hard to believe that you did not notice problems with your engine prior to going in for a service. Also the price difference between a new engine and rebuilt should have rang some bells.
A rebuilt engine will use more oil until the rings wear in, sorry they will not pay for the oil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
300 miles after a service it had no oil? WTF?
If they told you it was new and wasn't, you should definitely be going to your local fair trading.

·
Registered
HSE auto 2.0 ingenium with optional broken timing chain
3 Posts
Bill, it may be a similar situation to mine if it was the 2.0 ingenium diesel with the elastic band timing chain.
I’d never owned a Landrover Diesel engine before and after driving 1200 miles from the U.K. to Spain I thought the engine sounded clackety.
I asked a couple of non mechanics who were of the opinion they all sound like tractors.
I arranged to pop in to the LR franchise in Spain but before I could take it in the timing chain snapped.
4.5 years old and 100k miles FSH. £11,500 repair cost - only about 4K less than the car is worth!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts