Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Im looking to buy a new 2018 or 19 Discovery Sport HSE soon. I love the look, and the specs are ideal for me.
Although I'm convinced on the car, alot of the internet flak about the reliability stuff in the early years 2015-2017 (CO / Exhaust fumes in cabin, Unknown check engine indicators, having to go to shop 10+ times etc) just bugs me a bit.

I dont know anyone 1st hand who owns a LR DS ... so I can't gauge how good the info is.

My question is to the members with 2018 models ... has the kinks been worked out? How are you guys experiences in needing to go back to shop? I'm hoping that after 3 years under the belt, all major issues have been worked out.

Thanks ahead! I'm really looking forward to getting my first LR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2016 Discovery Sport HSE and have only found the following to be of issue, after 30k miles:

1.) The hockey puck gear selector has no "feel" to it. So, muscle memory is useless. You must look down at the gear indicator to find the gear you want. Failing to do so caused my Disco to follow me into the garage, after exiting the vehicle.

2.) The fuel level indicator is not accurate in sub-freezing temperatures

3.) An oxygen sensor failed at 10k and was promptly replaced at the dealership

4.) Third-row fan control lock-out does not work from the infotainment screen, making the knob a regular toy for our youngest

5.) Starting the engine from the Android version of the InControl Remote App is a crap shoot. But, the Android wear version on a Motorola watch works every time.

Otherwise, the essential mechanical functions of the vehicle work just fine and the DS has lived up to all expectations with no major failures. And, it is a hoot to drive. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi! I bought a service loaner 2016 DS HSE last year. Before that I had an LR2 for 9 years and two Freelanders before that. I really love how they’re go-anywhere and their high-quality interior and exterior holds up to some punishment. Mine is a daily driver but with some nice roof rails and a tow package with brake controller I really use the crap out of it, hauling me up and down mountains and through the streams at the bottom! Through the mud and dust on the farm and articulating over deep dried ruts on the way back. I haven’t had it in sand yet though.

As far as all the problems we read about, I haven’t had that hard of time with it. I think those horror cases you read are the exception and not the rule. That being said, I’ve got 26k mi. and the water pump was replaced today due to a slow leak. In control remote starts the car with my iPhone most of the time although telling me that it did so is a crap shoot. I don’t like the dial gear , but it feels alright once you get used to it. I do wish I had the 3rd row, but without it I have more storage around the spare and my tow capacity is a little higher.

I believe an extended warranty would be a solid piece of mind and may pay for itself over 100k miles.

. As for other options, for sure get the cold weather package and the driver assist with the blind spot monitor.

I did some a few modifications to mine to overcome a few shortcomings,so please take a look at my posts and let me know what you think. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
We purchased a 2017 model in May. We have had several minor issues corrected: cup holder failed, door seal replaced, transmission software updated for temperature sensing/reduced power, and updated audio system software.
All of these were minor, though a bit inconvenient to have corrected. We also have them repair and add extra hardware for some guards underneath that would drag on vegetation (cornstalks, tumble weeds, etc.)
I would say it falls in the middle of the pack, worse than our BMW, but much better than our Cadillac DTS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I purchased a used 2016 with 26,000 miles six months ago and It now has about 31,000. The auto stop/start was not working on delivery so the local dealer fixed under warranty. Everything works fine and it is a blast to drive on mountain roads. Have done some 4x4 dirt roads and it does well - looking forward to trying it out in the snow soon. I had an Infiniti qx50 which is smaller and more of a sports car equipped with all wheel drive 300 HP V6, and much lower to the ground. I believe the Discovery Sport handles better through corners and seems more predictable. Get one you will enjoy it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently leased a 2018 HSE and fortunately no issues. But anyone leasing a LR must accept that they have a rather poor reliability history compared to many other vehicles. I leased 3 Mercedes prior and had virtually no issues with any of them. I have been wanting to own a LR since 2013 and I'm glad I finally got the opportunity. Hoping for the best. BTW - I would at least take a look at the HSE Lux and check the pricing. The HSE interior is nice, but just look at the Lux so you can make an informed decision based on what your priorities are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is a good looking vehicle but I would suggest bypassing this brand. I’d take my 2010 Q5 with 150,000 miles back in a heartbeat. I didn’t have problems with my BMW X3. We bought both of them used. LR doesn’t take care of their customers like other brands do. Unless it displays a code LR isn’t interested. My 2017 LR Discovery Sport has been in the shop over 14 times and more tha 70 days. They even flew an engineer in and still not fixed. The recent update helped but it’s acting like it did before. Shop elsewhere... After lease dropping off keys and walking over to Audi.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Another vote AGAINST this car....
3 main reasons:
1. (may vary on your personal driving style) - the I4 is horribly mismatched with 9 gear transmission that gets lost.... the car is just horrible if you want to pass another cars, merge etc... or even in the stop-and -go situations
2. Real big issue is how poorly programmed this car is...electronics are acting as if there was a ghost.... none of it can be repaired as the instances are random and the dealer almost never can replicate them in a single run..... however, some of them are VERY critical - something I have NEVER heard in other cars....ex: there are reports of lift gate (boot) opening on its own (I have experienced that myself about dozen of times in last 4 months) ; Another one; you put the car in R and 90% of the time you get the rear view camera and sensors come up as they should BUT there will be 10% when the camera won't come on....and you are backing up "blind" ...there are also other less serious issues with radio / Memory stick, nav system etc...etc...
3. Final nail....the car STILL HAS horrible reputation and one of the worst re-sale values....I recently inquired across 3 different dealership how much I could get for my 2017 HSE fully loaded with 15,000miles.... all the dealers were told me they really don't want it but if they have to take it as part of a trade-in - they would give me $26,000 to $27000 - at BEST....those numbers were the best I could get pretending I am about to buy a new car from them.

At the end - it's your call.....see your dealer...ask how much they want..... I will gladly sell you mine for $32,000 :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a 2016 HSE that I recently had in for some minor service (auto start/stop not working - though I know some here would love for that to happen to them!).

I got a 2018 Discovery Sport HSE as a loaner (essentially identical to mine - same colors, though not optioned as well). There are some improvements that I wish I had: heated seat controls are on the button, don't require adjustment on the screen; the radio controls tabbed in the order of radio channels saved on the screen, not in numerical order (couldn't see if this worked on satellite as well); dash display is different (similar to Evoque); but, best was the engine.

I'm not sure which engine this had, but it had to be the new Si4 (286 HP vs. 237 HP). The power difference was immediately noticeable and alleviated a common complaint - turbo lag, especially at slow speeds. This engine is a significant improvement (not sure if there are transmission differences as well), but drive-ability is greatly improved, especially at slow speeds.

The down side is, that it looks likes this engine option is about a $12,000 bump over the standard engine, but really transforms the car. If you can afford it, I would really suggest that option.

I see there are some posted here that are avidly against the car for various reasons - reliability, resale, etc. I have had only minor issues (knock wood) in the 25,000 miles I have had the car (in the shop twice - once shortly after purchase for a turn signal issue that was a loose connection, and recently for the auto start/stop) - though I know others who have fared quite worse. In comparison, my son-in-law had to trade his Dodge (can't recall model) at a loss due to repeated electrical issues that required 4 tows and 3 batteries that the dealer could never fix. So there you go, to each their own.

Bottom line would I buy another? Yes - especially with the new engine!

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is quite a bit that is good about the LRDS; MPG, size features etc. The looks are great.
Mud - don't worry _ there was construction in my area (rural) every path was scraped down to mud. This thing went through 200ft of 10 inches of mud like nothing.
High beam assist - for me is great.

The problems that I have encountered are; sluggish shifting (hesitation, launching - dangerous), stuck shifter knob and a host of other medium to minor problems.
No product is perfect. The deciding factor is: service, which I'm sorry to say is at best dismal. Almost always.... "Cannot reproduce" or "Can't do it.
Call - no return calls. Parts waiting but no call. Service is expensive for things like the regular service.
I think I was told there were 14 software update-able modules on the vehicle. Which wouldn't be so bad but they have to stream load it across the Internet.
I'm told LR does not allow the software to be local, so a software update could take hours. And there appears to be a large number of these updates each time.

If you purchase the 10" InControl Touch Pro be advised that you will not be able to use 90% of it as it has a feature lock out if moving.
Depending on your personal preferences there could be a number of irritation points in the operations of the vehicle.
Number one on my list is the seat temperature controls. You have to press a dash physical button or a screen soft button to then get to push another button to turn the feature on or off.

A number of omissions in the sales processes. Take some of the keywords from forum posts and do some google searches. Ask pointed questions.

Some reports are worse than mine. Check out some other posts to see all of the problem reports.
I communicated with a guy in the UK, his story was worse. Service kept telling him "he didn't know how to drive a LR".
I found two websites that look like lawyers trying to drum up a class-action suit about the "sluggish", 9 Speed Transmission problem.

I really wish I could be more positive. As I told service; "if I could get 'some' of my list fixed, I could really love the vehicle" - no luck "can't do any of them".
Some people are selling theirs because of a lack of action on being able to get things fixed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is a good looking vehicle but I would suggest bypassing this brand. I’d take my 2010 Q5 with 150,000 miles back in a heartbeat. I didn’t have problems with my BMW X3. We bought both of them used. LR doesn’t take care of their customers like other brands do. Unless it displays a code LR isn’t interested. My 2017 LR Discovery Sport has been in the shop over 14 times and more tha 70 days. They even flew an engineer in and still not fixed. The recent update helped but it’s acting like it did before. Shop elsewhere... After lease dropping off keys and walking over to Audi.
Based on "walking over to Audi" does your dealership have the initials PM by chance?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Keep the bigger picture in mind....owners who have not had problems aren't as quick to go online to talk about how great their vehicles are. IMO and I am generalizing, I believe car forums bring two types of people. Those who have ordered a car and are anxiously awaiting or those who have had problems and want a place to come and complain and to see if others have experienced their issues. Don't get me wrong though, there is also a good group of people like yourself who are coming to do their homework before buying.

My experience.... I own a 2017 and I have had a few minor issues but nothing compared to my last Mercedes. I have had rattling speakers and a vibration when I am on the brakes at a full stop. Land Rover is currently looking into these issues and although its not being resolved as quickly as I would like, they are still reviewing the issues.
I am a becoming a little jaded but I find all luxury brands have their problems and I think its because they keep trying to jam too much tech into their vehicles. As mentioned earlier, without a check engine code these technicians have no clue as to what they are doing. I made a joke during my last service visit about wanting a mechanic to review my car and not an IT guy. ;)

With that said, what it comes down to for me is looks and there is not another SUV on the road that looks as good as the Discovery sport.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
113 Posts
tomca...I guess you are in northern NJ...? I have bought my Disco Sport from PM Land Rover and also bought few Audi cars next door...from PM Audi.

All good comments.... but for me I would say this; MB, BMW..they sell something like 30,000 / month , Audi is catching up with ~ 20,000s a month.... LR sells fraction at about 7,000/month...and while I have been active on Audi boards where people do bitch about issues... most posts are about customizing, tech talk, tweaks etc... and I also know friends with MB and BMW and same story...so you have 1000 people complaining....when you sell 300,000 cars in a year...that not bad....if you sell 70,000 - that's not good..... LR percentage wise seems to be still a crap shot....

My experience with 4 Audis over 12 yrs been great....Yes...they all had something break downs (never got stranded)....but each time it was kind of one time event....something went wrong...I went to the dealer - they fixed it and after 2 or 3 days I was out on the road and EVERYTHING was working perfectly fine for another 9 -12 months...or better.
I never had a problem that was just random and couldn't be fixed by the dealer....

Meantime...My Disco Sports takes me from point A to point B but half the time something isn't working AS IT SHOULD .....be it radio, camera, Remote starter that works about 40% of the time, weird noises, boot opening etc...etc... just annoying as ****.
If I wanted a basic mode of transportation I'd buy 10 yrs old Civic.....but I bought this car for its looks, for its technology and amenities... Just because I can start the car in the morning and get to work ....this is NOT enough for me at this point in my life....I work hard, I am willing to spend $50,000 on a vehicle and replace them every 3-4 years BUT that means I expect more than a basic motor vehicle....to me it is the entire experience....

Good Luck and enjoy whatever you get in the end.

·
Registered
18 Posts
tomca...I guess you are in northern NJ...? I have bought my Disco Sport from PM Land Rover and also bought few Audi cars next door...from PM Audi.
Spot on!

I agree with your assessment overall. While things might be intermittent or maybe less frustrating, you shouldn't have to pay your hard earned money for unresolved issues. I love Land Rover (like PM too mostly) - to a fault. I want another Land Rover - just not this particular one.

Funny story about Audi next door. I was checking out Q7s a while back and the sales person asked me what I was driving. I told him I had an LR4 and was looking into other options. No lie, he said to me - "if you drive an LR4, you cannot afford a Q7. Let me show you an A4". Walked right out without saying another word.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 18, no issue so far. The Eco start/stop stopped working after few months and most likely due to batteries not fully charge so is not active, which is not a bad thing if you dont want the Eco start stop function and to manually turn off each time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts