Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi anyone,

I have searched for a post about this matter but I could not find anything so I decided to create one.

After many years showing off with the rotary gear, it is cool and fancy I must say, now it seems that LR is coming back to the origins, the lever gear.

I would like to know your personal experience with both types and if someone has thought (if technically doable) to replace the rotary by a lever in a Discovery Sport.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We love the rotary gear. Simple, easy to use, and space efficient. Comparatively, driving a BMW 7 series with a lever seems challenging to press the right buttons and move the correct direction for forward vs reverse.

Downsides to the rotary: I have often exited the vehicle without it fully moved to park. It can get jammed between positions, leaving the driver at a loss how to reengage it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
We love the rotary gear. Simple, easy to use, and space efficient. Comparatively, driving a BMW 7 series with a lever seems challenging to press the right buttons and move the correct direction for forward vs reverse.

Downsides to the rotary: I have often exited the vehicle without it fully moved to park. It can get jammed between positions, leaving the driver at a loss how to reengage it.

Ahh! So it is not just me LOL:nerd:

We get spoiled and do jump out to soon. Has happened to me a few times and I try to force myself to wait until the Brake light comes on. First time I was very puzzled on what to do , but hitting the start button sorts it all out. Love the feel of the rotary you can feel it move into different positions, just wish there was not a stop between D and S

All the transmissions controls are electrical and there is no need for a bulky lever to operate a few switches. Mercedes has a little stalk on the steering wheel post, that takes up no room, probably puzzles valet parking .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ahh! So it is not just me LOL:nerd:

We get spoiled and do jump out to soon. Has happened to me a few times and I try to force myself to wait until the Brake light comes on. First time I was very puzzled on what to do , but hitting the start button sorts it all out. Love the feel of the rotary you can feel it move into different positions, just wish there was not a stop between D and S

All the transmissions controls are electrical and there is no need for a bulky lever to operate a few switches. Mercedes has a little stalk on the steering wheel post, that takes up no room, probably puzzles valet parking .

I prefer the rotary switch over the lever, as the lever is not really a transmission linkage but is just a switch, and the rotary switch is a more efficient solution. Additionally, as the lever doesn't work like a traditional transmission it's actually dangerous. Actor Anton Yelchin was killed when his Grand Cherokee with an electronic transmission switch lever rolled into him, pinning him between the car and a gatepost. Unlike a traditional transmission lever, the electronic switch had to be worked more than once to move the transmission from D to P.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to both who answered to my question. Let me ask you then why do you think LRJ is going back to the lever?

I was also wondering whether the change from rotary to lever is feasible. Does anyone know of someone who did it?

Other question related to the automatic gear is, have you ever change to Reverse when going forward? I mean by mistake since with the rotary there is no "latch" to impede to change to R while with the lever there is usually "something" to press to allow the R gear.

Best regards,
Ventura.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts