Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2018 HSE Luxury 5-seater with full panoramic roof. Will i be able to fit a roof top tent on a disco Sport? I hear the pay load is very low for this SUV?

Also, do you have to install the facgtory roof rails? any suggestions on cross bars?

thx

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2018 HSE Luxury 5-seater with full panoramic roof. Will i be able to fit a roof top tent on a disco Sport? I hear the pay load is very low for this SUV?

Also, do you have to install the facgtory roof rails? any suggestions on cross bars?

thx
I don't have an RTT but I can imagine you would have no issues mounting something like a Thule x Tepui Low-Pro 3 or Yakima Skyrise HD (at 46-47kg each) with your choice of rails and crossbars easily under the dynamic load rating of 75kg - as long as you don't drive off before your partner wakes up. I have a front runner rack on mine and it's rock solid. I have been on top of my roof rack and I'm over 100kg but my rack isn't mounted on roof rails.

I'm guessing the non-factory roof rails people are buying on ebay for 1/3rd the price of OEM are exactly the same product (probably out of the exact same factory in China). I would 100% trust them to carry the roof load driving around. Would I trust them to carry my weight as I sleep? I'd probably take chance as I don't think you'll fall through the panoramic roof if they fail during the night.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have an RTT but I can imagine you would have no issues mounting something like a Thule x Tepui Low-Pro 3 or Yakima Skyrise HD (at 46-47kg each) with your choice of rails and crossbars easily under the dynamic load rating of 75kg - as long as you don't drive off before your partner wakes up. I have a front runner rack on mine and it's rock solid. I have been on top of my roof rack and I'm over 100kg but my rack isn't mounted on roof rails.

I'm guessing the non-factory roof rails people are buying on ebay for 1/3rd the price of OEM are exactly the same product (probably out of the exact same factory in China). I would 100% trust them to carry the roof load driving around. Would I trust them to carry my weight as I sleep? I'd probably take chance as I don't think you'll fall through the panoramic roof if they fail during the night.
Thanks! But how does load work? So if the tent is 46kg and assume it’s a 4-person tent where total weight of the people inside would be well above the 75kg payload for the side rails. Wouldn’t that just break? I don’t understand show cross bars+ tent + ppl would be held up safely over rails with max weight of 75kg?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks! But how does load work? So if the tent is 46kg and assume it’s a 4-person tent where total weight of the people inside would be well above the 75kg payload for the side rails. Wouldn’t that just break? I don’t understand show cross bars+ tent + ppl would be held up safely over rails with max weight of 75kg?
75kg is your dynamic load rating - as in, how much stuff can you have on the roof and safely drive the car so it doesn't roll over.
I don't actually know what the static load rating would be but significantly higher. You might need to ring your dealer to ask what the roof rails can support statically. Or consult the tent manufacturer for approved vehicles. Or just do an internet search to see what other people have successfully done. I found this: check this blog post you could contact the bloggers for insight.

I think if Front Runner are advertising their roof racks and tents on Disco Sport they'll probably standby the static load rating for 2 persons at least.

I also don't think you'll ever comfortably sleep 4 persons in an RTT regardless of the tent rating. If I had to share a 4 person tent with 3 other adults I'd probably sleep in the car 🤣

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone! I am brand-new to this forum and did some searching but couldn't find any answers to my exact question so I'm posting a new thread.

I have a 2020 Discovery Sport SE with the panoramic roof and I want to add a roof top tent at some point. When we bought the car, we didn't get the factory roof rails. Is that something that can be added afterwards? Also, Does anyone have any experience with a roof top tent/rack combo that works well for 2 adults?

Thanks!

Wyn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts