Registered
588 Posts
Looks great!

Nice job.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Next addition is going to be a hitch. Then Im going to start looking at tires. Depending on what I can fit, I may do new wheels and Im also considering the Eibach lift springs. Also considering an exhaust. LOL!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Can't tell the difference from your cross bars and roof rails from my VERY EXPENSIVE ones. Not sure if I am happy for you... Mad... Or just jealous. LOL.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's crazy isn't it? We were fixing to run over to our LR dealership and buy a set of roof rails until I did an eBay search at the very last minute and saw these. $475 for everything pictured (rails and crossbars) and free shipping (had to negotiate the pricing). I did a couple of days worth of looking and comparing and didn't see hardly any difference. And thoroughly went through the sellers feedback. So I thought I'd risk it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
wow... 475 for both! LR Sacramento/Rocklin wanted 500 for just the rails w/o clips :( Mind sharing your lovely invoice as fighting power? :p

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's my accepted best offer amounts. There was a fare bit of back and forth on this deal. Before my second offer I explained that I would be buying BOTH items, so that helped me negotiate. I low balled them on my first attempt and then they countered. I countered once more and arrived at my purchase amounts. Sometimes you have to work your negotiation skills folks :)

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow... 475 for both! LR Sacramento/Rocklin wanted 500 for just the rails w/o clips
Mind sharing your lovely invoice as fighting power? :p
I called Rocklin and got them down to $480 plus shipping. Started to order but they wouldn't let me spend my $300 worth of LR vouchers. I said "later" and talked my local dealership down from $675 to $575 and they would easily take my vouchers. I was going to go get them the next day then found these.

Now I'm saving my vouchers for the OEM hitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
wow... 475 for both! LR Sacramento/Rocklin wanted 500 for just the rails w/o clips
Mind sharing your lovely invoice as fighting power? :p
Here's the accepted offers.
KingCherauto is the seller. Maybe if some tried to push them a little harder, they'll go lower. Looks like they may be getting low on inventory?

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Anyone installing these on a non glass roof disco sport? If so, any issues with the clips and the channel covers? Mine seem like they can move side to side too easily... Especially when going through the dryer of the car wash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello - how long does it take to install the permanent rails? My dealer (in Switzerland) is telling me almost two hours at a cost of the equivalent of USD 300. Labor is expensive here, but two hours seems like a lot of time, no? Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry a tad off topic, but Will you all look at this and give me your opinion: I'm considering buying a roof rack from FrontRunner. Model is SlimLine II. Will you look that up and let me know what you think? I'm not allowed to post URLs but google will do the trick. Thank you!

M

·
0 Posts
mkende - took me about 45 minutes to do it myself (obviously first time, so no experience). Very easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed factory rails (10% off from my local dealer) and what I think are the same cheap knock-off crossbars as the OP.

The factory rails were super easy to install and look great as you'd expect from an OEM part.

The cheap crossbars seem sturdy and totally functional but they were a bit of a hassle to adjust to the proper span and one of the plastic covers on the underside of the bar broke. (Maybe some JB weld will fuse it back together) It's a purely cosmetic piece so I'm not too bent out of shape over it. Such is the compromise you make when buying off-brand from eBay. But hey, 1/3 the cost of the offerings from Yakima or Thule.

I'll get my Yakima Skybox mounted this week and let you all know if my luggage ends up on the highway. ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Arneltec
I don't wish my fellow DS owners here that those Chinese knock-off from ebay are inferior but I don't think that you will get accurate reliability report on those..... I'd say a few years of frequent use will show how good they really are.
The original Land Rover equipment has been tested and I am sure has a history of use.... as most likely they use the same design and materials for DS as for other models.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese version is exact copy....they are great at reverse engineering....might just use a different alloy

·
Registered
588 Posts
Arneltec
I don't wish my fellow DS owners here that those Chinese knock-off from ebay are inferior but I don't think that you will get accurate reliability report on those..... I'd say a few years of frequent use will show how good they really are.
The original Land Rover equipment has been tested and I am sure has a history of use.... as most likely they use the same design and materials for DS as for other models.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese version is exact copy....they are great at reverse engineering....might just use a different alloy
When the first year DS came out, there were no options to get Asian knockoffs so I had to get mine from mailorder thru a dealer in NorCal.

I love mine - fit and finish is excellent for an OEM part.

Will end up taking them off when I turn her back into the dealer so a set of used roof rails will go up for sale soon....;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts