Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oddest thing, I came out of work and (for probably the first time) I looked at the DS front on.
The passenger side front roof rail cover was missing. I don't know when, where or how it came off, or it came that way??
It seems that it just snaps on.
Dealer server ordered a new one, had it painted and installed it, no charge. Which was VERY welcome...

Anyone else have this happen?????

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes there was someone else who had the same issue.
They had to fight the dealer to cover under warranty.

I know the covers are held in place using friction so it's very easy for them to fly off.

I pulled them out when I installed the roof rails.

Reactions: loire17
M

·
0 Posts
Seems a bit unusual. As 4sallypat says they are only friction attached. But, when I removed them to install the roof rack, it still took a bit of effort, they didn't just slide off (had to pry under an edge). Debated keeping them, but didn't - wished I had (you never know). Great service from the dealer.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mine did not come off too easily when I installed the rails. But there's probably some inconsistencies in their fitment here and there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine is lifting on the passenger side as well (close to losing the cover). Very likely the hand car wash down the road is the culprit. Final stage is a big blower and I reckon it likes to blast a lot of vibratory air under the cover so eventually the clips lift.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think LR must have designed it intentionally without any fastening bolt or screw so that you are forced to buy the roof rails which are optional.

I think a stylish crossover should have roof rails standard - not optional....

M

·
0 Posts
I think LR must have designed it intentionally without any fastening bolt or screw so that you are forced to buy the roof rails which are optional.

I think a stylish crossover should have roof rails standard - not optional....
Well, I don't know about LRs intent ;), but agree about roof rails/cross bars being standard. Though, my Infiniti FX had roof rails/cross bars - but have seen many that don't - so that must be an option there as well.

Didn't think about the blow drier from the car wash blowing the covers off. Being friction attached, that could be the culprit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I saw my roof rail cover coming up at one end and I thought it was the legendary LR build quality. Turns out it just needed a firm shove back into place:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roof Rail Cover Lifting

My roof rail cover is lifting on the driver side. (2017 D.S) White plastic clip closest to the windshield fell right out when i barely lifted the cover where it was loose. The clip Doesn't appear to be broken. Is this something the dealer has to fix or is it a simple little thing a handyman can do? Husband is out of town and I know it needs repaired either way so it doesn't blow off.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My roof rail cover is lifting on the driver side. (2017 D.S) White plastic clip closest to the windshield fell right out when i barely lifted the cover where it was loose. The clip Doesn't appear to be broken. Is this something the dealer has to fix or is it a simple little thing a handyman can do? Husband is out of town and I know it needs repaired either way so it doesn't blow off.
Safest is to remove it and hang onto it for the dealer to figure out.
If you don't have a dealer nearby, just use a little silicone RTV caulking to hold the friction ends into the slot.

Reactions: VirTERM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you! I called the dealer in Orlando, with whom I have never had any interaction and who has never worked on the vehicle before. The service department said this is becoming a common issue. They had to order the parts and will have to replace the rail cover completely. It will need to be painted to match. They said it will take about two weeks just to get it in and then get it painted. Thankfully, they did not argue with me about it, said it's covered under warranty and they did not even require me to bring the vehicle in so they could inspect it first. All they did was take my name and vin and said they'd call me once everything was ready for installation. Sucks that I have to drive an hour and a half to get there, but I'm so glad that the work is covered and will be done without any hassle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oddest thing, I came out of work and (for probably the first time) I looked at the DS front on.
The passenger side front roof rail cover was missing. I don't know when, where or how it came off, or it came that way??
It seems that it just snaps on.
Dealer server ordered a new one, had it painted and installed it, no charge. Which was VERY welcome...

Anyone else have this happen?????
just flew off today, bizzare

1 - 12 of 12 Posts