Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my wife discovered some cracks in the overhead pano glass. Don't know how long they have been there as we've only rolled back the cover twice since ownership began 1 year ago. My wife works 2 mins from the JLR dealership in Victoria BC. After a brief discussion with the moronic younger service adviser, the senior adviser jumped in and gave glass a good inspection. The result was they deemed it was a chip that caused the breakage and to consult insurance company. They couldn't help or even recommend a glass installer on the island!
Tonight after another inspection it was clear the adviser was thinking a piece of dirt was the chip as the area he thought had taken the impact wasn't even cracked.
Long story short I've booked the disco into my local dealer in Langley next week. Doesn't sound too promising though as they say that there's always a reason and it's normally due to a stone chip etc. There's absolutely no sign of impact and looks to me to be a stress fracture. I'm a lighting engineer so deal with lens breakages every day ? So know a little about glass.
Anybody had there pano glass replaced under warranty because the dealership couldn't find an impact point? Hate to pay for this...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. May have to call in the insurance company and have them inspect it - they may be able to prove it's a design / build issue that caused this to happen. I know that glass expands/contracts differently than steel and the hot summer weather we have been having may have had an effect....

I will keep an eye on this issue - might happen to others as the build quality does appear to be highly variable.

I noticed awhile ago that the back end where the rear hatch meets the body does not line up on the left side while the right side is flush.

This type of build quality issue may cause such problems with other parts of the body such as the pano roof.

Haven't rolled back the pano roof cover in quite a while - but will check periodically now...

·
Registered
61 Posts
We found ours to be cracked a few days ago, but ours was initiated by an impact. Impact point was clearly visible.

As a FYI, our quote for replacement was $3600 for the glass, 12 hours of labour and 2 tubes of adhesive.

Total was $5600 CAD as we are in Calgary.

And yeah, 12 hours to install.

Glad we had glass coverage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts