Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading out on our first Discovery Sport road trip in a few weeks and I am hoping for some quick advice on a maintenance question for those who road trip often with their disco.

Our discovery is somewhat new...I have 18,500kms on the odometer. I have put roughly 1500km on it since my first oil change service back in January. Our trip will likely be around a total of 4000km give or take some extra sight seeing trips.

Should I be taking it in for a oil change prior to the trip? Or any other inspection? thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

2017 Discovery sport.

·
Registered
314 Posts
No need for an extra oil change.

The only thing to do before a long trip is make sure the tires are inflated to the higher pressure recommended for your vehicle and pack a few emergency supplies. I always take along a liter of oil when going on a long trip (never used on any of my cars) a can of "Fix-a-Flat" (also never used) and a jug of windshield wash (used)

Also put all the places that you will stop at on the trip into the navigation as favorites prior to the trip.You can also program daily trips as well. A few minutes in your driveway makes it so much easier than doing it on the road.

Longest road trip with the Disco has been only around 3000 Km ( in mountains) but the car runs great on the highway at any speed very comfortable and the A/C is spot on.

Have Fun:D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great information Bill! Thanks so much for sharing. I will definitely grab some of those supplies just in case. We have the to and from planned but still trying to figure out our daily trips once on the east coast.

·
Registered
44 Posts
And before leaving, have a look at your warranty booklet and make sure you bring it with you just in case.
Last year I went to the eastern tip of the Gaspesian peninsula which is about 800km from the nearest LR dealer... I wanted to make sure that LR would take care of the car in case of a major failure but also of us!

Did not have any problem with the car and still love it!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How far east are you coming?
I think our furthest stop will be just south of Halifax at a resort called White Point Beach. I think it's close to peggy's cove? (Cabot trail/PEI and those area's are next year's trip..I also have a friend from Fogo Island who tells me I should make my way there too)

My wife has been doing most of our trip planning so I am unsure of all the local town stops but essentially our trip is.....Toronto - Quebec - Moncton - Nova Scotia - Bay of Fundy - back to Quebec for the Land Rover Offroad Experience - and back to Toronto. Total time is 2 weeks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well if you head to Fogo Island at some point let me know, we'll meet for a coffee or something. I'm headed over to Fogo in June for a few days, we're going to take the travel trailer and spend a couple of days checking out the island, I live about an hour's drive from the ferry. Fogo has some great roads, last spring they did the launch of the Merecedes GL coupe's there.

I'll be interested to see what you think of the Land Rover Experience. I did it last fall in a Range Rover. It was a fantastic day and it gave me a much better appreciation of what the vehicle is actually capable of.
I did the full day and that's why we went with the Range Rover, you can't do the rock crawl part of it in the Discovery Sport since it doesn't have the air lift suspension.

Enjoy your trip and post some photos from the road.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be interested to see what you think of the Land Rover Experience. I did it last fall in a Range Rover. It was a fantastic day and it gave me a much better appreciation of what the vehicle is actually capable of.
I did the full day and that's why we went with the Range Rover, you can't do the rock crawl part of it in the Discovery Sport since it doesn't have the air lift suspension.

Enjoy your trip and post some photos from the road.

We have finally returned home from our east coast Canadian road trip! Outside of a blown tire the evening before leaving Toronto and a small wheel issue in Nova Scotia (debris between brake pad and disc I think that scared us a bit, being so far from home) the Discovery sport performed incredibly well. I believe I put on roughly 3500km and was averaging 7.9-9.5L/100km depending on the driving situation. I have never been so comfortable on such a long road trip before. The seats in the HSE Lux package are incredibly comfortable and supportive. I suffer from herniated discs in my neck and back so I really appreciated these seats on the longer hauls between cities.

The Land Rover off Road Experience was without a doubt one of the highlights over the two weeks. Sadly the Discovery Sport and Evoque were stuck in customs so we had to choose between the larger Discovery, Range Rover Sport or the Velar. We had booked the Velar as it may be a contender for our next vehicle but the driving instructor talked us out of it claiming the Range Rover or Discovery would allow us to explore more when on the course. We ended up in the Discovery and I can say with confidence, if I had children, that would be my go to SUV in a heart beat. For my wife and I, it's sadly far too big. The instructor was incredibly helpful and taught us so many things we did not know or would have never guessed these vehicles were capable of. We took some video and a few pictures which I will post shortly once I get through all our footage from the trip. I would also recommend staying the night at the Fairmont Montebello if you do the experience in Montreal. What a gorgeous spot!

I have to also point out the land rover road side assistance was incredibly helpful as well. When we first experienced the issue and could not make out the problem I had called road side to have the vehicle towed to the closest dealer (300km away...the wheel was making an odd metal on metal grinding sound and it was not going away or fading). I was in a very remote cottage area of Nova Scotia and they still confirmed they could get me a tow truck within an hour. Tow truck driver called immediately after I hung up the phone with Land Rover to confirm location. I then called Land Rover in Nova Scotia to let them know the vehicle was coming. They stated they were booking two weeks out but would do their best to squeeze me in first thing next day. They also offered to re-unite me with the vehicle once the problem was resolved. I was giving up just yet so in the end I took the discovery out for another drive about an 15min later as I planned to remove the wheel for a better look. Problem was gone so I cancelled the tow and crossed my fingers for the rest of the trip. Being that I drove on a beach, Land Rover Nova Scotia assumed I just got debris up in the wheel and brake system and it must have washed away with the rain or when the brakes cooled. All ended up being well for the trip home!

Will post pic's and vid shortly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts