Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After using Yakima crossbars (low-rider towers plus round bars) on my LR2 for 9 or so years, I was convinced that's what I needed for my newly-purchased DS. I wasn't really impressed with the OEM roof rails, but I figured they'd hold up just fine and be versatile enough with the right crossbar, so I bought and installed those.
I read LOTS of reviews and looked at all the stats on the OEM, Yakima, Thule, Rhino Rack, and other crossbars, looking for something that fit my cargo needs, was quiet, priced competitively, got great reviews, and looked good. I ended up going with the Rhino Rack bars and legs from eTrailer for less than $400:

--Rhino-Rack Vortex Aero Crossbars - Aluminum - Black - 54" Long - Qty 2
Item # RRVA137B-2
--Rhino-Rack SRB Legs for Vortex Aero Crossbars - Flush Factory Side Rails - Qty 4
Item # RRSX026

They were easy enough to install. Be careful to cut the channel strips as to not leave gaps -- that's where whistling comes from. I've put a few thousand miles and a half-year or so on these guys and I love them! They're QUIET! And strong. They adjust to different forward/reverse spacing easily, and they travel the entire length of the roof rails since the clamp doesn't go under the rail, only the sides. On separate occasions, I've hauled plywood, lumber, two canoes, four ladders, and a few trips with my Rola basket fully loaded with camping gear and firewood, with no problems. There is a rubber strip on the top of the bar that's very 'grippy' -- great for having things not move around, but kinda a pain when you heave a big slab of plywood or big 2x12's up there and they won't slide on the bars easily. My cargo 'bounced' a little on occasion, but that was due to the OEM roof rails having such a long distance without support in their middle, which I fixed by adding rubber spacers, (see my other posts for that one).
Here are a few pics:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts