Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

When engine is cold (15 min after running) when we put into reverse the transmission does not engage for a few seconds. In that time my family is pushing down on the accelerator then the car lunges backwards when reverse starts working after the delay . My wife is worried we will run over the kids or dog.

I see others having a similar problem.

See below for my dealer. I am at a loss. Any coaching please.

2018 with 4K miles.

Thanks in advance!

"As I stated on our phone call that I have experience the 2 second delay in the transmission on all of our vehicles, especially when cold. I spoke to XXXX who also confirmed that you did say that you experienced this issue when the vehicle was cold. As also stated on our phone call, I did say that when transmission fluid is cold it will create a delay due to the fluid being thicker and taking more time to engage the transmission. As also stated on the phone call, I believe the vehicle is safe to drive."

·
Registered
325 Posts
How many members of your family are pushing down on the accelerator?>:D

In every car I have driven I always wait until you feel the transmission engage before pressing down the accelerator or releasing the brake, listen to your dealer.

I don't see others with the problem

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 2018. When I put the car in reverse, it doesn't seem to engage the reverse unless I release the brake. Then the car "jumps" backwards as it engages the transmission. Showed it to dealer with answer - all of them do this (I think they are making it up). It is a bit annoying, but a simple workaround works just fine. Instead of releasing the brake at once, I release it and press it again - I can feel the transmission engages and then I release the brake again and everything is fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2017 does this as well. Whether they "all" do it or not, doesn't make it right. A car should not sit in reverse for several seconds, then engage and then hesitate when stepping on the gas - finally shooting backwards. I even warmed my car up for about 15 minutes the other day (remote start worked for once!) and it did this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback.

Some more research / thoughts......

The ZF 9 speed transmission seems to have had many problems across many OEMs.

If I stop the car 15 seconds or so after I "reverse" once, It will not repeat until the car has sat for 10-15 mins.

I have read maybe a valve issue or brake issue.

My loaner has same issue. Never had an issue the 40 years owning a car and three other LRs with delayed transmission.

I have case opened at LR USA.

Regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill F 100% agree!!

When I start the car the transmission will not engage until taking foot off brake and after 2 second delay. If I put car into park right after and go back to reverse the transmission kicks into reverse while on brake and I can see and feel the rpm dip as it should.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 Disco Sport with the same trans lag problem. Haven't had it looked at yet, but THIS IS NOT NOT NORMAL FOR ANY AUTOMATIC TRANS, and is dangerous!
Don't let the dealer tell you this is normal! They're trying to avoid repair/adjusting it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you guys tried to reach out to LR USA? In my opinion because of the jerk, this is quite dangerous and perhaps NHTSA could be interested in this. In my personal opinion this is a safety issue (imagine someone suddenly walking by when reversing from a parking spot) and I believe LR USA doesn't want to get probed by NHTSA on this ...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a '16 DS HSE and recently had a loaner '18 DS HSE. I noticed a second or two lag when shifting to reverse before reverse would engage that I do not experience in my '16, which is effectively instantaneous. This caught me out initially and I would apply throttle before it was engaged, only to have it jerk when reverse engaged. Eventually got used to it (in time to get my car back) - but was bit confusing initially having to wait.

·
Registered
20 Posts
While having a 1 year service check done, I got a 2019 loaner. The transmission behaves as you would expect it would. I don't notice any delays, it is smooth when engaging reverse, pretty good experience.

Also the car feels it deals better with the road imperfections - I checked the tires and pressures, but the tires are the same and the pressures are ok, so I wonder if they slightly tuned the suspension for 2019. Overall a good experience - no rattles, quiet, comfortable, responsive.

So when I'll pick up the car from the dealership later today, I'll reiterate on the transmission issue as it is definitely not normal. Perhaps it is limited to 2018, but still it should be fixed IMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed Snowman. LR USA did not care it was a safety issue. They did not even want to see the car!! They said it was normal.

My lawyer said bring to 3 dealers and file a complaint with nhtsa.dot.gov VehicleComplaint

The second dealer told me it is a known issue when engine RPM is high engine it will not engage reverse, that is why the delay. They say all 9 speed transmissions do this.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My 2016 HSE built in 2015 has had this issue since day one.
Have had the reverse delay issue for 3 years have lived with it.
Glad I am returning the car in a few months and be done with it - no more JLR for me!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My second dealer is correct. Confirmed engine will not engage transmission (reverse or forward) until engine RPM drops below 1,000. Never owned a car that did this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've seen the same thing. You have to wait for the rpm's to drop.
IMO (and my wife's), the vehicle is unpredictable.

There are a number of items that just happen - no apparent pattern, some minor, some major.
Shifter knob sticks and can take several tries to get it to unlock. Intermittent.
Windshield wipers sometimes activating backing up on a dry day (1, 2, 3, 4 times, it varies).
Sometimes the proximity / parking sensors activate (especially front), most times they don't.
Backup camera makes it look like you are many feet away when you are actually inches away.
The engine will just shut off shutoff all by itself after putting the car in park once in a while.
Acceleration (RPM's) will drop on a turn or trying to merge into traffic or whenever.
The center info/msg panel, you have to hit OK for seats then again then again, not consistent.
Turn off DSC you have to hit OK sometimes more than once.
Radio takes anywhere from 20 seconds to 2 minutes to boot, it varies.
Etc, etc etc.
The only thing that is consistent - mostly - is the HBA feature (High Beam Assist).

IMO, all of this is software. There seems to be some condition states that may conflict with each other.
There are some items that might need a debounce flag (the condition can't happen again in under x time or until x occurs)
The acceleration problems, IMO, IS software, I can turn DSC off and the problem goes away.

The main thing I get from reading all the descriptions of all of the problems is that although some problems are common across many vehicles, some happen only with select vehicles.
And it seems not to be limited to LRDS. This again may indicate software. They may use the same base software for the I/O subsystems across models.
But still exists on multiple vehicle in varying degrees.
So even that is not consistent.

And all the while service says - "cannot reproduce".
If most of these problems are software - there is no way service can troubleshoot it as there is no error.
I tried opening a case with LR USA, they didn't want to hear it, call the dealer they said.

So I have no confidence anything will be fixed.
My wife and I have begun a new search for a new vehicle, definitely not Land Rover.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but once I got going................................................................

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all, new member here with a 18 and for me is only during cold start like pulling out from garage in the morning. I’ll start the car, put in reverse and let go of the brake and then about 2-3s will go. Smooth though not rough or anything. All ok in other condition

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have read a lot of complaints about trans delay problems, my '18 included, but has anyone had the problem fixed?
When I take mine in, I'm going to demand it be fixed, or I'm not taking it home!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fireftr..................
I'm afraid - based on everyone's experience that LR won't acknowledge the problem.
I've heard LR responses to owners ranging from "cannot reproduce" to "it's a characteristic" to "you don't know how to drive a LR".
It ranges across the UK, Canada and US.

But - I tried something and it worked for me better than expected.... but you would have to be the judge if you want to try it.

I've been turning off the DSC (anti-skid) function on every drive since Tuesday, January 22.
This has really changed the performance for me.
The Slow acceleration / loss of power problem is gone, except briefly when -20F and the car is cold, so I don't count that.
This made a major improvement to the acceleration problem so many are experiencing / describing.
I personally have no problem with turning DSC off. But the decision is yours based on your comfort level.

I am going to try explain the effect next time I'm in (probably in a month or so) for the yearly service.
I don't know if they will do anything, I'm sorry to say as no one in LR has engaged on this yet. But I will try.

Given this was an experiment, I am very surprised that this worked for me as well as it did.
This tells me it's most likely not the transmission, but the software / code that controls these functions.

If you try it let us know if you see a difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts