Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday the car went into restricted performance mode while travelling along the highway. I was already at cruising speed so I didn‘t notice reduced performance straight away until I had to slow down and then try to speed up again. It was very confronting in peak traffic especially with a large truck sitting behind me. I managed to ease it into a nearby car park and tried the old ’turn it off and back on again’ trick. Several times. Nothing changed and warning was still displayed on screen. I turned off the engine and popped the hood (like I knew what I was doing) but couldn’t see any anything that looked odd or out of place. Waited about ten minutes then started it up again. Warning was gone but amber check engine light was now on. However, the car was no longer in restricted performance mode and was driving normally. Took it to my local LR service centre today and they told me that they couldn’t find anything wrong but that it may have been a loose or dirty sensor to do with the turbo system. They cleaned the sensor and tightened it back down.
Error codes were as follows:
P0047-11 Turbo charger boost control ‘A‘ circuit low - Circuit short to ground.
P0046-19 Turbo charger boost control ‘A‘ circuit range/performance - Circuit current above threshold.
P259E-73 Turbo charger “A” boost control position at low limit - Actuator stuck closed.
P2263-22 Turbo charger boost system performance - Signal amplitude > maximum.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yesterday the car went into restricted performance mode while travelling along the highway. I was already at cruising speed so I didn‘t notice reduced performance straight away until I had to slow down and then try to speed up again. It was very confronting in peak traffic especially with a large truck sitting behind me. I managed to ease it into a nearby car park and tried the old ’turn it off and back on again’ trick. Several times. Nothing changed and warning was still displayed on screen. I turned off the engine and popped the hood (like I knew what I was doing) but couldn’t see any anything that looked odd or out of place. Waited about ten minutes then started it up again. Warning was gone but amber check engine light was now on. However, the car was no longer in restricted performance mode and was driving normally. Took it to my local LR service centre today and they told me that they couldn’t find anything wrong but that it may have been a loose or dirty sensor to do with the turbo system. They cleaned the sensor and tightened it back down.
Error codes were as follows:
P0047-11 Turbo charger boost control ‘A‘ circuit low - Circuit short to ground.
P0046-19 Turbo charger boost control ‘A‘ circuit range/performance - Circuit current above threshold.
P259E-73 Turbo charger “A” boost control position at low limit - Actuator stuck closed.
P2263-22 Turbo charger boost system performance - Signal amplitude > maximum.
I had this issue with my Land Rover Freelander 2 (same engine).....limp mode while on the motorway. You need to check for faults on the turbo and any other associated systems. Mine turned out to be the glow plugs that were causing a fault. This was showing a code, but I hadn't realised there was an issue with these as the MIL light or glow plug light was not on and the glow plugs only come on at -5c. Please be aware that the glow plugs can have different ratings with regard to voltage i.e. 5v and 12v make sure you get the correct type if this is the issue. They are easy to replace, but takes about 4 hours. Having said that it is worth checking the turbo actuator as these can stick and should be greased with copper grease or similar high temp grease. Also the electrical actuator motor can go, but this is rare so I wouldn't assume that this has failed.
My local garage pointed me towards the glow plugs after they checked for codes as I had had the limp mode previously....mine would also return to normal after a short period. Hope this helps...it's worth investing in a scanner such as the Autel AP200 if you intend to keep the vehicle, saves a lot of expense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check the wiring loom isn't chaffing on underneath the air filter box, mine was chaffing and car shut down when put in drive and tried to pull away was fine in neutral and reverse. Found wiring loom was chaffing whilst engine rocked in drive strange bit true all in all removed the bracket the wiring loom was attached too and no more chaffing :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts