Discovery Sport Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was hoping I could find some data to get an idea how long you should idle before shutting down to let the turbo cool off. I checked with a Launch x431 scan tool today and there doesn't seem to be an EGT or turbo temp PID in the ECM data. There are lots of other things like charge air temp, cylinder head temp, and others but after watching them for a bit they don't seem like they're useful for figuring out how long you need to idle to allow the turbo to cool down. I'll do some more looking and see if I can find anything else that might be useful. There are almost 800 PIDs to scroll through in the data stream.

·
Registered
Discovery sport 2016 HSE LUX
7 Posts
Hi all. I’m now in the boat. 2016 discovery sport. Reduced performance came on. Followed by white smoke from exhaust. Got it in a lay-by. Switched the ignition off but the car just revved up and wouldn’t stop. Very frightening thought it would catch fire. Ended up stalling it. Told turbo blades collided. Stuck at main dealer. Care centre unhelpful. Yes out of warranty- anyone had any good news from LR assisting??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

A little update for my Restricted Performance debacle....

As mentioned, LR Australia wanted to charge me 10K to replace turbo.... I didnt have time to muck around and argue with LR to meet some of the costs and just had tio get it up and running for work. (we have some consumer laws is NSW Australia where products must be fit for purpose, people have managed to challenge various manufacturers to repair at their cost but it can take a bit of time)

I ended up buying a new turbo from a place in Sydney, its a Mitsubishi turbo OEM part and spent the last 4 days installing it......
We had a lot of trouble getting the thing out going in cold.

It really is a SH$T of a thing to get out, lots of stuff has to come off engine. Probably would take two days now we know the process though. We could find no info anywhere on the process so hopefully someone can learn from our mistakes.

The process we ended up having to follow was, starting with:
Engine covers > battery box > air box > cross brace > dummy firewall (not sure what this actually called) > ECU & box (tuck ecu to side) > the plastic trim that meets the windscreen and covers wiper mechanisms > EGR and pipes > top manifold heat shield.

by this stage you can get a good look at the turbo from above.

Remove wheel arch covers on RHS of car then the vertical stabilizer link at the top and fold to one side. this is where turbo will come out from.

Remove inter-cooler pipes > cross bar in front of the DPF under car > exhaust section between turbo and DPF

You will need to leave one of the pipes attached to the turbo as you cant access it (I think it was the coolant inlet), you can undo from the block and pull turbo out with it attached

Turbo off and out through the wheel arch!

Didn't need any specialized LR tools

We unplugged the injectors to crank engine for turbo priming, didn't throw up any error codes and ECU didn't disable the starter.

The turbo gaskets sliced open my fingers on two occasions so be careful!

Again, this is how we did it going in cold, may not be the official process but it work for us.

I think the total cost with double LR coolant and Mobil 1 oil (flushed each system once), turbo, gaskets was about $3500AU.
If your attempting the job hopefully this will save you some time, good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I might just elaborate on the above as I don't think its been mentioned earlier.
My turbo had broken down as the bearing wore out, luckily the car went into limp mode before any catastrophic damage occurred.
The oil change period recommended by LR is too long and the engine oil gets way to diluted due to pollution controls on the engine. Its also exacerbated is your car usage comprises mostly of short trips, as in our case. Its not just LR either, we owned a x3 before the disco sport and had the exact same problem, Turbo went a 50K. BMW wanted the oil changed every 25K.

We were servicing yearly or at 10k with the disco, from now on Ill be cahnging the oil every 5K to stop this over dilution of the oil.... resulting in our turbo issues.

·
Registered
Discovery sport 2016 HSE LUX
7 Posts
Hi All,
After being just told that my 2016 DS needs a new engine and turbo at a cost of £12,700. And the email was so matter of fact. It remains unbelievable.
I am tweeting at every opportunity to shame LR. So please follow or retweet. @.no links or private emails Thanks Admin

PM poster to share private messages

41 - 48 of 48 Posts