Discovery Sport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry I made those videos a couple years back and didn't keep them up long after I learned to live with the install. As for your canbus replacement, that will only solve the problem of your unit not recognizing the type of vehicle it's in. The problems /annoyances I mentioned are baked in the cake so you're not getting rid of them. For the air problem, I learned to turn the air flow to my feet before shutting down the unit. For the slowness, I installed cache cleaners from the play store and used the 30 plus seconds for my unit to finish initializing to adjust my mirrors or plug in my phone or something.
As for my carplay suggestion, I did buy one over the weekend and installed it on Sunday and it's working fantastic so far with the OEM Harman unit. The only thing I miss the Android (Tesla) unit for is watching Netflix and other shows which I probably shouldn't be doing anyway lol.
Thank you, and yes you're right, Im weighing up just how much I want/need that overly large screen for all of the above reasons. We are really fortunate living in Brisbane Australia as the AC never gets switched off so leaking nice cold air is always a bonus but again you're right, not being able to direct it or change other functions whilst waiting for it to boot is going to be a real pain, honestly not sure how I feel about the practical side of this exercise but I sure do know how I felt about that big screen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you give a description of how the module works - in reality? I have seen that these need a long press of the HOME button to get into Carplay Mode - but does that stop the car's in built Radio functioning / being controlled (Volume) etc? If there is Navigation set and you swap into Carplay Mode - do the instyructions still come through or is the car just on the Carplay module and nothing else is heard / controllable?

Also - how difficult was it to install? I have never seen a full video (does one exsist) of installation to Discovery Sport?

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport SE
14 Posts
Can you give a description of how the module works - in reality? I have seen that these need a long press of the HOME button to get into Carplay Mode - but does that stop the car's in built Radio functioning / being controlled (Volume) etc? If there is Navigation set and you swap into Carplay Mode - do the instyructions still come through or is the car just on the Carplay module and nothing else is heard / controllable?
Sure thing,
The purpose of the module is to prevent you from having to remove your factory head unit and just add carplay/Android auto features to it. This is important to some people as it doesn't void warranty (Can be removed if you need to take in for servicing).
You are correct, you need to long press home a couple seconds to swap from the default radio to the module. But once connected, it automatically does this for you when you start vehicle unless you manually went back to the default radio before turning off unit.
You can still use the basic Harman OEM functions for things you want to do. Just hold the home button 2 seconds in carplay mode to go back.
For your volume question, steering wheel volume control does still work in carplay mode, as well as reverse camera when backing up (just remember to turn on switches 1 and 8 on the module physically before installing it for OEM cameras). The other buttons like skip do not work in carplay mode. You will need to skip songs from the touchscreen. However, this does not affect your steering wheel controls. If you listen to a song in normal radio mode with a Bluetooth source or whatever, skip will work fine. Just not for songs played through carplay which require your audio be set to AUX while using for volume.

Also - how difficult was it to install? I have never seen a full video (does one exsist) of installation to Discovery Sport?
To be honest, the installation videos on YouTube were trash with people just skipping ahead to show off end result. There was one video that showed how to remove the entire radio to replace with a custom head unit but that involved steps you don't need for just installing this module like taking apart the dash panel and vents (unless you are routing your module mic wire through there like I ended up doing).
The best tutorial was from this website below that just provided step by step instructions with screen shots.

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport SE
14 Posts
If there is Navigation set and you swap into Carplay Mode - do the instyructions still come through or is the car just on the Carplay module and nothing else is heard / controllable?
To he honest I didn't test this. The whole point of the unit is not using the outdated LR maps application. I use waze as my default nav and others may use Apple Maps, etc. I never tried loading an address in basic mode with volume on and switching into carplay mode because what would be the point of switching to carplay if you aren't using the nav functions from it?
The only reason I could see would be that you are in an area with no phone reception maybe and in that case you may just stay in OEM mode. But even then, I believe Waze works in offline mode as well, just not giving you live traffic updates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To he honest I didn't test this. The whole point of the unit is not using the outdated LR maps application. I use waze as my default nav and others may use Apple Maps, etc. I never tried loading an address in basic mode with volume on and switching into carplay mode because what would be the point of switching to carplay if you aren't using the nav functions from it?
The only reason I could see would be that you are in an area with no phone reception maybe and in that case you may just stay in OEM mode. But even then, I believe Waze works in offline mode as well, just not giving you live traffic updates.
Thats a really great response. Thanks for udating.

So, can I ask.... you have the Radio on a DAB station (Harman System - don't get me started on how poor the loyalty is from Land Rover not supporting these maps any longer) - you are listening to a Radio Station and you long press to get into Carplay Mode - Can you still hear the Radio?

Also - why do you need a second Microphone - why isn't the cars one fed into Carplay as its connected to the system?

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport SE
14 Posts
Thats a really great response. Thanks for udating.

So, can I ask.... you have the Radio on a DAB station (Harman System - don't get me started on how poor the loyalty is from Land Rover not supporting these maps any longer) - you are listening to a Radio Station and you long press to get into Carplay Mode - Can you still hear the Radio?

Also - why do you need a second Microphone - why isn't the cars one fed into Carplay as its connected to the system?
I just tested this for you. Yes you can listen to normal radio station and switch over to carplay with it still playing. Since your audio source would not be set on AUX, you just won't get nav sounds through carplay which I don't use often anyway as much as visual.

As for the mic, you have the option to take calls through carplay or your Harman. When taking a call, if you click the airplay icon, or in the phone app if you click the audio source, you can select carplay (new mic) or discovery sport (Harman/OEM mic). Just up to you

·
Registered
2017 DS SE Tech 2.0 Diesel In White
6 Posts
Hi,
Have any of you looked at the Jaguar forum? There is a guy on there who changes the 8" to the 10" and is able to re-program the car config files?? Are Jag users allowed to do it and us poor Land Rover guys barred? Do a search for "2016 -2019 XJ InControl Touch Pro 8” to 10.2” factory upgrade" in the jag****forums.com. Not sure if allowed to add links to other forums hence the stars just change it to jaguar.
May be different units but they look the same.

George
Sorry edited as put the wrong search wording in. Too many windows open not enough brain cells lol.

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport SE
14 Posts
Hi,
Have any of you looked at the Jaguar forum? There is a guy on there who changes the 8" to the 10" and is able to re-program the car config files?? Are Jag users allowed to do it and us poor Land Rover guys barred? Do a search for "2016 -2019 XJ InControl Touch Pro 8” to 10.2” factory upgrade" in the jag****forums.com. Not sure if allowed to add links to other forums hence the stars just change it to jaguar.
May be different units but they look the same.

George
Sorry edited as put the wrong search wording in. Too many windows open not enough brain cells lol.
That guy is upgrading from one incontrol touch pro to another of a larger screen. If I'm not mistaken, the LR official site will do this as a complimentary service for certain models.
The issue a lot of users in this forum have is we have the InControl Touch (Not Touch Pro) units.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That guy is upgrading from one incontrol touch pro to another of a larger screen. If I'm not mistaken, the LR official site will do this as a complimentary service for certain models.
The issue a lot of users in this forum have is we have the InControl Touch (Not Touch Pro) units.
What a pity, didn't realise you could get the 8" screen as a Touch Pro. Back to the drawing board I guess. :(

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport SE
14 Posts
What a pity, didn't realise you could get the 8" screen as a Touch Pro. Back to the drawing board I guess. :(
Could be wrong. I was just going by your description which was "InControl Touch Pro 8" to 10.2"
I also spoke with LR service who look for any reason to get money tell me they wouldn't do it and that I would need to get a different vehicle that had the base InControl Touch Pro.
If it were plausible without going the aftermarket route, I can't image JLR would pass up the chance to charge a premium price to upgrade their system like Ford does when they also used the Harman system on their early Sync II vehicles like the Fusion I used to have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could be wrong. I was just going by your description which was "InControl Touch Pro 8" to 10.2"
I also spoke with LR service who look for any reason to get money tell me they wouldn't do it and that I would need to get a different vehicle that had the base InControl Touch Pro.
If it were plausible without going the aftermarket route, I can't image JLR would pass up the chance to charge a premium price to upgrade their system like Ford does when they also used the Harman system on their early Sync II vehicles like the Fusion I used to have.
Yes so true they like taking our money from us.
Had a quick look on the Jaguar web site on "how to identify your system" and the touch pro only shows as being 10" with the 8" being only touch?? I used to have a Range Rover Autobiography full size and I was able to re-program it with a Britbox OBDII adapter which is essentially what the guy on the Jag forum is doing albeit using a laptop and software to do all the programming. It will be similar to getting your car chipped. I may join the forum and ask him directly see what he says. Nothing to lose and lots to gain.
Fingers crossed.🤞

·
Registered
3 Posts
The best tutorial was from this website below that just provided step by step instructions with screen shots.

Hey there, thanks for the great write up on this module. I pulled the trigger and picked one up, and was planning to install it this weekend. One thing that the play-by-play tutorial doesn't show is where the module lives inside the car. The QR code on the included manual links to an install video where the passenger seat of an Evoque is removed and the loom extension and module are shoved under the seat, but you or the static play-by-play never mention that.

Before I start to rip into the Discovery dash, can you let me know where it ends up once installed in the car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport SE
14 Posts
Hey there, thanks for the great write up on this module. I pulled the trigger and picked one up, and was planning to install it this weekend. One thing that the play-by-play tutorial doesn't show is where the module lives inside the car. The QR code on the included manual links to an install video where the passenger seat of an Evoque is removed and the loom extension and module are shoved under the seat, but you or the static play-by-play never mention that.

Before I start to rip into the Discovery dash, can you let me know where it ends up once installed in the car?

Thanks!
No problem. Unfortunately (and you'll find out why soon enough), it lives in a very tight space between the existing module you're plugging it into and the housing.
FYI, I ended up uninstalling mine after a few unforeseen issues, namely the screen would sometimes not come on when starting the car and eventually the land Rover remote app stopped reading I had a module installed which affected route tracking and remote start. All connections were checked and that wasn't the issue. Will eventually go to the expensive Chinese units from Ali I'm thinking and going with an aftermarket remote start.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just successfully installed mine (Joyeauto) after struggling very hard.... Almost spent 1.5 days. Ordered it from Aliexpress. The delivery was pretty fast actually.

The biggest challenges and interesting things were:

1. How to remove trims correctly.
- Don't believe any 3rd party blog posts or guides from Joyeauto or Chinese manufacturers at all. The only thing we must believe is Topix from LR. I broke one trim above the glove box as there were 3 bolts but a Chinese manufacturer blog said there were 2 bolts :( Fortunately, I was able to glue it, and the broken part was not holding the trim much so I can live without it.

2. The screen won't come up if your battery is low.
  • This must be something new to you all and guys in the UK forum too. It makes sense as Joyeauto will draw more power for its own system. But I acknowledge this in a hard way.
  • When I firstly hooked up every line, it briefly came up and went out. I just thought I must have hooked up wrong line or set up the dip switch incorrectly. Still it came up randomly and went out randomly. After a few hours later, it didn't come up at all. So frustrated. I requested refund to the seller. Almost gave up. But I decided to give one more shot.
  • I had a separate problem of original informatinment system a few months ago. My OEM informatinment screen went out while I was driving; especially, I drove rough road. It turned out that the reason was bad battery connection. So I assumed the reason might be something with battery. I charged my car with CTEK for overnight (more than 12 hours). And this morning. Voila! This was the break-through moment. Everything worked well after full charge.
  • My DS is 2016, I will need to replace the battery in 1-2 year anyway. I will have to install one with big capacity, more than required in the user manual. That will solve the issue kinda permanently. I heard that any car with upgraded amp system must upgrade its battery too.

3. The space for the lines was really tight.
  • After I resolved the critical issues mentioned above, I thought everything else must be easy. I was wrong. It was fxxxing hard to squeeze all the lines. You need a small hand to push the 14-pin kit in the far back right first. All the other new lines must come below the Harman unit. In the end, I had to push Harman unit pretty hard and bolt down to push it further. It might damage the lines a bit :(
  • The space for Joyeauto itself is pretty big and easy though. I was able to zip the unnecessarily long line too.

4. Android Auto Wireless is available actually.
  • I use Android, and I knew Joyeauto only supported Wired Android. However, all of sudden, Joyeauto's item description was updated yesterday or today saying that Android wireless is supported. Well, it is true. If you connect to Joyeauto Bluetooth, you can use wireless.
  • And you can still wire it via USB cable anyway. You can easily fish it out to driver side side trim. I will post some photo once my new phone holder arrives.
  • Some people complained about its low volume on Android Auto mode. The same thing happened to me, googled it, and solved it. You gotta turn OFF "Normalilze Volume" on Spotify. There are a couple of other ways to fix this. Just Google it.

5. The installation description for Aux was not updated.
- The installation guide doesn't say much about Aux line. It looks like I just need to leave it unhooked, which doesn't make any sense. I just tried a different thing after reading the UK forum. You need to hook up Aux line and plug dummy in the armrest. Fortunately, the dummy was already included anyway. I guess they didn't update the guide.

6. You don't have to put the mic in the A-pillar.
- The mic itself is small enough to place it in the original mic position. It might block the OEM mic, but I don't care much.

Any question is welcome! I will give update after using it a few days more. Also I need to test my wife's iPhone too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just successfully installed mine (Joyeauto) after struggling very hard.... Almost spent 1.5 days. Ordered it from Aliexpress. The delivery was pretty fast actually.

The biggest challenges and interesting things were:

1. How to remove trims correctly.
- Don't believe any 3rd party blog posts or guides from Joyeauto or Chinese manufacturers at all. The only thing we must believe is Topix from LR. I broke one trim above the glove box as there were 3 bolts but a Chinese manufacturer blog said there were 2 bolts :( Fortunately, I was able to glue it, and the broken part was not holding the trim much so I can live without it.

2. The screen won't come up if your battery is low.
  • This must be something new to you all and guys in the UK forum too. It makes sense as Joyeauto will draw more power for its own system. But I acknowledge this in a hard way.
  • When I firstly hooked up every line, it briefly came up and went out. I just thought I must have hooked up wrong line or set up the dip switch incorrectly. Still it came up randomly and went out randomly. After a few hours later, it didn't come up at all. So frustrated. I requested refund to the seller. Almost gave up. But I decided to give one more shot.
  • I had a separate problem of original informatinment system a few months ago. My OEM informatinment screen went out while I was driving; especially, I drove rough road. It turned out that the reason was bad battery connection. So I assumed the reason might be something with battery. I charged my car with CTEK for overnight (more than 12 hours). And this morning. Voila! This was the break-through moment. Everything worked well after full charge.
  • My DS is 2016, I will need to replace the battery in 1-2 year anyway. I will have to install one with big capacity, more than required in the user manual. That will solve the issue kinda permanently. I heard that any car with upgraded amp system must upgrade its battery too.

3. The space for the lines was really tight.
  • After I resolved the critical issues mentioned above, I thought everything else must be easy. I was wrong. It was fxxxing hard to squeeze all the lines. You need a small hand to push the 14-pin kit in the far back right first. All the other new lines must come below the Harman unit. In the end, I had to push Harman unit pretty hard and bolt down to push it further. It might damage the lines a bit :(
  • The space for Joyeauto itself is pretty big and easy though. I was able to zip the unnecessarily long line too.

4. Android Auto Wireless is available actually.
  • I use Android, and I knew Joyeauto only supported Wired Android. However, all of sudden, Joyeauto's item description was updated yesterday or today saying that Android wireless is supported. Well, it is true. If you connect to Joyeauto Bluetooth, you can use wireless.
  • And you can still wire it via USB cable anyway. You can easily fish it out to driver side side trim. I will post some photo once my new phone holder arrives.
  • Some people complained about its low volume on Android Auto mode. The same thing happened to me, googled it, and solved it. You gotta turn OFF "Normalilze Volume" on Spotify. There are a couple of other ways to fix this. Just Google it.

5. The installation description for Aux was not updated.
- The installation guide doesn't say much about Aux line. It looks like I just need to leave it unhooked, which doesn't make any sense. I just tried a different thing after reading the UK forum. You need to hook up Aux line and plug dummy in the armrest. Fortunately, the dummy was already included anyway. I guess they didn't update the guide.

6. You don't have to put the mic in the A-pillar.
- The mic itself is small enough to place it in the original mic position. It might block the OEM mic, but I don't care much.

Any question is welcome! I will give update after using it a few days more. Also I need to test my wife's iPhone too.
One small update. They advised me to set 2&8 for my 2016 Discovery Sport, which is quite different from what I heard from UK forum. It is working okay, but when my backup camera is on and off repeatedly when I back up. It is not unusable, but annoying. Still waiting for the answer from Joyeauto.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts