Discovery Sport Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry I made those videos a couple years back and didn't keep them up long after I learned to live with the install. As for your canbus replacement, that will only solve the problem of your unit not recognizing the type of vehicle it's in. The problems /annoyances I mentioned are baked in the cake so you're not getting rid of them. For the air problem, I learned to turn the air flow to my feet before shutting down the unit. For the slowness, I installed cache cleaners from the play store and used the 30 plus seconds for my unit to finish initializing to adjust my mirrors or plug in my phone or something.
As for my carplay suggestion, I did buy one over the weekend and installed it on Sunday and it's working fantastic so far with the OEM Harman unit. The only thing I miss the Android (Tesla) unit for is watching Netflix and other shows which I probably shouldn't be doing anyway lol.
Thank you, and yes you're right, Im weighing up just how much I want/need that overly large screen for all of the above reasons. We are really fortunate living in Brisbane Australia as the AC never gets switched off so leaking nice cold air is always a bonus but again you're right, not being able to direct it or change other functions whilst waiting for it to boot is going to be a real pain, honestly not sure how I feel about the practical side of this exercise but I sure do know how I felt about that big screen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you give a description of how the module works - in reality? I have seen that these need a long press of the HOME button to get into Carplay Mode - but does that stop the car's in built Radio functioning / being controlled (Volume) etc? If there is Navigation set and you swap into Carplay Mode - do the instyructions still come through or is the car just on the Carplay module and nothing else is heard / controllable?

Also - how difficult was it to install? I have never seen a full video (does one exsist) of installation to Discovery Sport?

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport SE
11 Posts
Can you give a description of how the module works - in reality? I have seen that these need a long press of the HOME button to get into Carplay Mode - but does that stop the car's in built Radio functioning / being controlled (Volume) etc? If there is Navigation set and you swap into Carplay Mode - do the instyructions still come through or is the car just on the Carplay module and nothing else is heard / controllable?
Sure thing,
The purpose of the module is to prevent you from having to remove your factory head unit and just add carplay/Android auto features to it. This is important to some people as it doesn't void warranty (Can be removed if you need to take in for servicing).
You are correct, you need to long press home a couple seconds to swap from the default radio to the module. But once connected, it automatically does this for you when you start vehicle unless you manually went back to the default radio before turning off unit.
You can still use the basic Harman OEM functions for things you want to do. Just hold the home button 2 seconds in carplay mode to go back.
For your volume question, steering wheel volume control does still work in carplay mode, as well as reverse camera when backing up (just remember to turn on switches 1 and 8 on the module physically before installing it for OEM cameras). The other buttons like skip do not work in carplay mode. You will need to skip songs from the touchscreen. However, this does not affect your steering wheel controls. If you listen to a song in normal radio mode with a Bluetooth source or whatever, skip will work fine. Just not for songs played through carplay which require your audio be set to AUX while using for volume.

Also - how difficult was it to install? I have never seen a full video (does one exsist) of installation to Discovery Sport?
To be honest, the installation videos on YouTube were trash with people just skipping ahead to show off end result. There was one video that showed how to remove the entire radio to replace with a custom head unit but that involved steps you don't need for just installing this module like taking apart the dash panel and vents (unless you are routing your module mic wire through there like I ended up doing).
The best tutorial was from this website below that just provided step by step instructions with screen shots.

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport SE
11 Posts
If there is Navigation set and you swap into Carplay Mode - do the instyructions still come through or is the car just on the Carplay module and nothing else is heard / controllable?
To he honest I didn't test this. The whole point of the unit is not using the outdated LR maps application. I use waze as my default nav and others may use Apple Maps, etc. I never tried loading an address in basic mode with volume on and switching into carplay mode because what would be the point of switching to carplay if you aren't using the nav functions from it?
The only reason I could see would be that you are in an area with no phone reception maybe and in that case you may just stay in OEM mode. But even then, I believe Waze works in offline mode as well, just not giving you live traffic updates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To he honest I didn't test this. The whole point of the unit is not using the outdated LR maps application. I use waze as my default nav and others may use Apple Maps, etc. I never tried loading an address in basic mode with volume on and switching into carplay mode because what would be the point of switching to carplay if you aren't using the nav functions from it?
The only reason I could see would be that you are in an area with no phone reception maybe and in that case you may just stay in OEM mode. But even then, I believe Waze works in offline mode as well, just not giving you live traffic updates.
Thats a really great response. Thanks for udating.

So, can I ask.... you have the Radio on a DAB station (Harman System - don't get me started on how poor the loyalty is from Land Rover not supporting these maps any longer) - you are listening to a Radio Station and you long press to get into Carplay Mode - Can you still hear the Radio?

Also - why do you need a second Microphone - why isn't the cars one fed into Carplay as its connected to the system?

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport SE
11 Posts
Thats a really great response. Thanks for udating.

So, can I ask.... you have the Radio on a DAB station (Harman System - don't get me started on how poor the loyalty is from Land Rover not supporting these maps any longer) - you are listening to a Radio Station and you long press to get into Carplay Mode - Can you still hear the Radio?

Also - why do you need a second Microphone - why isn't the cars one fed into Carplay as its connected to the system?
I just tested this for you. Yes you can listen to normal radio station and switch over to carplay with it still playing. Since your audio source would not be set on AUX, you just won't get nav sounds through carplay which I don't use often anyway as much as visual.

As for the mic, you have the option to take calls through carplay or your Harman. When taking a call, if you click the airplay icon, or in the phone app if you click the audio source, you can select carplay (new mic) or discovery sport (Harman/OEM mic). Just up to you

21 - 31 of 31 Posts