Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am looking to replace the centre stack, hard function buttons and factory lcd in favour of a one piece Tesla style centre tablet see link 765.0US $ |For Land Rover Discovery Sport 2015 2019 Car Multimedia Player Autoradio DVD Stereo GPS Navigation Android 10 6+128G 12.1inch|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress
problem is all of the suppliers are telling me they have not fitted one of these to right hand drive Disco Sport yet, does anyone know if there are cable/plug differences between left and right hand drive vehicles please ?

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
770 Posts
I would imagine you would lose control over your climate control setting, clock settings, fuel economy settings etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi guys, I am looking to replace the centre stack, hard function buttons and factory lcd in favour of a one piece Tesla style centre tablet see link 765.0US $ |For Land Rover Discovery Sport 2015 2019 Car Multimedia Player Autoradio DVD Stereo GPS Navigation Android 10 6+128G 12.1inch|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress
problem is all of the suppliers are telling me they have not fitted one of these to right hand drive Disco Sport yet, does anyone know if there are cable/plug differences between left and right hand drive vehicles please ?
I have had a look at the device and it looks awesome. I do not think you will find any problem whether left or right your steering wheel is, connectors are not mirrored; imagine the complexity for the car makers to manufacture all connectors doubled, they always try to save costs.

Keep us updated if you finally go ahead. A video would be great for other drivers who may be interested in the same upgrade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you intending to fit the console yourself? I am very interested in the process. Good luck in 75 Days time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update - Panel arrived, no instructions, no operating manual and missing some essential air vent modification screws, apart from that, quality wise, it looked pretty good.

The centre console, passenger air bag cover and original radio, a/c and driving mode contraols panels came out pretty easily and there really were no other options than to plug the original JLR plugs into the new panel as they had produces their own Canbus module.

Re-assembly pretty straight forward too but of course I had to power it up first and wow, its an impressive display but unfortunately diplayed a Range Rover and not my Disco Sport

Not giving up that easily I continued screwing and thumping bits of the car back into their original locations and the end result, apart from a couple of panel gaps at the sides where it meets the bag hooks was pretty good, apologies for the refelctions in this pic but as you can see I left the plastic film in place to protect the screen until I had finished
Kitchen appliance Home appliance Gadget Television set Audio equipment

The absence of an ops manual gave me a more than a few head scratching moments but I have to say once navigated, the panel appeared to deliver pretty good value for the money especially as it included a graphic equaliser, my Meridian sound sysetm has never sounded better.

Now heres why the panel is on its way back to China - The Range Rover image, couldnt be changed, the seat heaters and coolers would not operate, the phones blue tooth microphone appalling and the rear view camera simply did not work.

I spent hours messaging a very polite but frustratingly non technical person at AliExpress who eventually agreed the product would not work with my vehicle and agreed to refund me in full.

So by now you must be thinking, lucky escape, dodged a bullet and all those other great expressions, however, let me tell you, Im still in negotiations with them to send me another correctly assigned panel and Canbus as I have to say, once installed in the car, its really hard to live without.

Watch this space.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update - Panel arrived, no instructions, no operating manual and missing some essential air vent modification screws, apart from that, quality wise, it looked pretty good.

The centre console, passenger air bag cover and original radio, a/c and driving mode contraols panels came out pretty easily and there really were no other options than to plug the original JLR plugs into the new panel as they had produces their own Canbus module.

Re-assembly pretty straight forward too but of course I had to power it up first and wow, its an impressive display but unfortunately diplayed a Range Rover and not my Disco Sport

Not giving up that easily I continued screwing and thumping bits of the car back into their original locations and the end result, apart from a couple of panel gaps at the sides where it meets the bag hooks was pretty good, apologies for the refelctions in this pic but as you can see I left the plastic film in place to protect the screen until I had finished View attachment 8022 .

The absence of an ops manual gave me a more than a few head scratching moments but I have to say once navigated, the panel appeared to deliver pretty good value for the money especially as it included a graphic equaliser, my Meridian sound sysetm has never sounded better.

Now heres why the panel is on its way back to China - The Range Rover image, couldnt be changed, the seat heaters and coolers would not operate, the phones blue tooth microphone appalling and the rear view camera simply did not work.

I spent hours messaging a very polite but frustratingly non technical person at AliExpress who eventually agreed the product would not work with my vehicle and agreed to refund me in full.

So by now you must be thinking, lucky escape, dodged a bullet and all those other great expressions, however, let me tell you, Im still in negotiations with them to send me another correctly assigned panel and Canbus as I have to say, once installed in the car, its really hard to live without.

Watch this space.

Not giving up that easily I continued screwing and thumping bits of the car back into their original locations and the end result, apart from a couple of panel gaps at the sides where it meets the bag hooks was pretty good, apologies for the refelctions in this pic but as you can see I left the plastic film in place to protect the screen until I had finished View attachment 8022 .

Watch this space.
I bought a similar unit for my Discovery Sport, and I had the same problem regarding that seats lost all function for both heating and cooling. I have started the process to request a refund. It's too bad too because the unit overall looks great and was easy to install. I wonder why all of the seat features won't work on all of these aftermarket units?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a similar unit for my Discovery Sport, and I had the same probleem regarding that seats lost all function for both heating and cooling. I have started the process to request a refund. It's too bad too because the unit overall looks great and was easy to install. I wonder why all of the seat features won't work on all of these aftermarket units?
I think they've missed the mapping of these when they programmed the canbus, did yours come from Noon too ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The unit I got did not replace as much as yours. The top screen stayed put so the camera wasn't affected.
Thank you, thay are great looking units and add so many additional functions its just a real shame theyre not quite right, mine is on its way back too and Im waiting for the supplier to announce the all singing and all dancing model is available.

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport SE
14 Posts
I wish I could have told you about these units earlier. I just traded in my Mustang with the "Tesla" screen install I did myself for my DS. I posted a couple of YouTube videos on the pros/cons. As for the Range Rover logo, if you are sort of technical, you can replace stock photo if that is one issue.
Climate control will be your biggest issue. Due to the way your OEM module regulates air, you will soon notice that even with the Tesla unit showing off, some air will still blow through your vents. Not enough to notice in this weather, but you will notice when winter comes and you don't want cold air blowing on your face.
Stereo sound leaves a lot to be desired. You will find the unit has its own speaker/amp controls in settings that don't match your vehicle controls. The best way to explain where you will notice the difference is if you put a USB card with music on it in your vehicle and play it, the audio will sound as intended. If you use one of the downloaded playstore apps like Spotify or Apple Music, you will find you will hav to turn the base volume up louder and play with your mid levels.
Back to the climate controls, you will very quickly realize you have an android device in every way, good and bad. This means as the device gets older and the more processes you run, the unit will become more sluggish. You can install apps like cache cleaners and the like but they will only work so well. What this means for you is there is a significant delay that will develop over time between you pressing a climate button and it responding. Also, you will have to wait for the unit to fully boot after ignition to access climate controls which on a super hot or super cold day will be deal breakers.
And lastly, the screen itself is a reflection magnet, so invest in a $15 screen/glare protector or tint out your rear window, because as you can see in your photo, when the sun hits it right, you are not seeing anything.
All in all, I didn't regret the tradeoff because the Mustang I had came with the base sync 4" screen with no real options, so it made sense. However, I told myself I'm not ready to make that same choice for my DS. If I am going to go into the dash, I would rather get the carplay decoder with fewer drawbacks.
If you have any other questions about these units ( I worked with PX4 and PX6 models), let me know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback, if you still have the link could you please send it to for comparison. The guys from China are still saying they will supply me with a fully compatible Canbus adapter that will solve my issues but based on what you are saying here I have my doubts.

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport SE
14 Posts
Sorry I made those videos a couple years back and didn't keep them up long after I learned to live with the install. As for your canbus replacement, that will only solve the problem of your unit not recognizing the type of vehicle it's in. The problems /annoyances I mentioned are baked in the cake so you're not getting rid of them. For the air problem, I learned to turn the air flow to my feet before shutting down the unit. For the slowness, I installed cache cleaners from the play store and used the 30 plus seconds for my unit to finish initializing to adjust my mirrors or plug in my phone or something.
As for my carplay suggestion, I did buy one over the weekend and installed it on Sunday and it's working fantastic so far with the OEM Harman unit. The only thing I miss the Android (Tesla) unit for is watching Netflix and other shows which I probably shouldn't be doing anyway lol.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts