Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there to everybody. I have a question regarding remove the automatic gear selector cover. I find the silver polished part around the automatic dialing very pretty, but it sometimes dazzles my face when the sun is shining, which is not exactly practical :).
Now I want to take this cover off and either paint it matte black with PlastiDip, or maybe have a friend paint it the same color as the car. Any idea how to remove the cover?

Gear shift Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Plant

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks like the whole cover, not just the silver part, is held in with 7 clips so should pop out. I admit I've been thinking about doing the same thing. That piece is really in a bad place sometimes.
Product Sleeve Font Electric blue Auto part

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the whole cover, not just the silver part, is held in with 7 clips so should pop out. I admit I've been thinking about doing the same thing. That piece is really in a bad place sometimes.
View attachment 8023
Thank you so much for your quick reply :). Seems not so difficult to remove - and with PlastiDip we can not do so much wrong.... - I think. May I please ask you, where you found that picture? Best regards from Austria

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are some services out there that will build a manual for your VIN using the data from TOPIx too.
Did I understand you right that this other services are on internet for free? Do you have a payed access on TOPIx or did you get the picture on a free website? Sorry if I annoy you with so many questions, but I want to finde such things by myself for future, without steeling anybodies time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did I understand you right that this other services are on internet for free? Do you have a payed access on TOPIx or did you get the picture on a free website? Sorry if I annoy you with so many questions, but I want to finde such things by myself for future, without steeling anybodies time.
I haven't found a free site. I found at least one that will pull info from TOPIx and build you a manual for your VIN but they do charge a fee. You can get a TOPIx subscription for as short as 1 day and if you have a list of things you want to look up, that's probably the cheapest way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't found a free site. I found at least one that will pull info from TOPIx and build you a manual for your VIN but they do charge a fee. You can get a TOPIx subscription for as short as 1 day and if you have a list of things you want to look up, that's probably the cheapest way.
OK, thank you again for your detailed answer. If I can pull myself together to remove the part, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK, thank you again for your detailed answer. If I can pull myself together to remove the part, I'll let you know.
Hi there, I found a solution without removing the part from the car. I had the part wrapped in glossy black at the foiler studio around the corner. He doesn't need do remove it for his work. It is a lot cheaper (€ 20) than remove the part and let it paint, and also I can remove the foil when selling the car. It doesn't dazzle anymore ;-).

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts