Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just completed a 1000km round trip in my 2015 Disco Sport. Went camping on a cattle station in the Kirrama Ranges near Mount Garnett. Car was great. Travelled along plenty of rough dirt road and some steep hills and gullies. Car was fully loaded with back seats down and roof racks. Handled it all extremely well. It’s done 89,000kms now. Overall I’m really happy with my DS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Killing it mate! How are you going on those 20" rims? or are they 19's?

Any issue with the roof load?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Would you guys ever consider towing an Airopus and or airopus lite with your DS? I am in Canada and trying to get my hands on one of those trailers. If the discovery sport can't tow it, I just might have to get myself into a defender instead! lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Killing it mate! How are you going on those 20" rims? or are they 19's?

Any issue with the roof load?
Hey mate. They are 20” rims with Pirelli Scorpion road tyres. Thats what came on the car when I bought it new in 2015 and I was so impressed with them I bought another set after the first 70,000kms. They wear really well considering I do a couple of big off road trips per year. Wouldn’t say the 20” rims are overly comfortable on dirt with heavy corrugation but better than what you would expect. The DS suspension does a great job of soaking up most of the bumps. I’m considering getting a smaller set of rims and AT tyres. Can’t get AT tyres to fit the 20” rims unfortunately. I would like to get the Eibach spring lift as well which would just help when fully loaded up with all my gear. Other than that the car does a great job in stock trim.
No issue with the roof load. The rhino bars and pioneer tray are fantastic. I estimated I was pretty much at the roof load weight limit of 75kgs.
The torque of the 2.2ltr turbo diesel is fantastic for steep hill climbs and overtaking. The special off road programs actually work well too. Not just a gimmick! The mud ruts program works really well for steep up hill climbs with lose gravel or rocky surfaces.
Are you happy with the spring lift in your rig? Would you do anything different? Where did you get your sump guard and lift done?

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
Mick
Looking at your photo it appears that you do not have roof rails ,,is that right?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey mate. They are 20” rims with Pirelli Scorpion road tyres. Thats what came on the car when I bought it new in 2015 and I was so impressed with them I bought another set after the first 70,000kms. They wear really well considering I do a couple of big off road trips per year. Wouldn’t say the 20” rims are overly comfortable on dirt with heavy corrugation but better than what you would expect. The DS suspension does a great job of soaking up most of the bumps. I’m considering getting a smaller set of rims and AT tyres. Can’t get AT tyres to fit the 20” rims unfortunately. I would like to get the Eibach spring lift as well which would just help when fully loaded up with all my gear. Other than that the car does a great job in stock trim.
No issue with the roof load. The rhino bars and pioneer tray are fantastic. I estimated I was pretty much at the roof load weight limit of 75kgs.
The torque of the 2.2ltr turbo diesel is fantastic for steep hill climbs and overtaking. The special off road programs actually work well too. Not just a gimmick! The mud ruts program works really well for steep up hill climbs with lose gravel or rocky surfaces.
Are you happy with the spring lift in your rig? Would you do anything different? Where did you get your sump guard and lift done?
The spring lift has worked out great, initially it creaked a little but then settled down - i did have concerns that the negative travel lost would ruin the ride but i don't think there's any downsides really. The clearance is way better when the car is loaded and I think i like the slightly firmer ride generally. I got it done at British Offroad on the Sunny Coast.
The sump guard I ordered online and then fitted myself. It wasn't hard but it wouldn't cost much at all to get it fitted professionally while the springs were being done.
I don't think I would do anything differently. I would love the roof rack to be more easily removable (by 1 person) but then I would have issues with the light bar which has been brilliant.
I guess I wish I had gone with decent cross bars and had a pair of brackets made up to mount the light bar. I also wish I had got a tow hitch installed when I bought it (mostly for mounting bikes and accessories) - I keep wanting to but it's expensive. Might do it myself at some point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mick
Looking at your photo it appears that you do not have roof rails ,,is that right?
Hi Bill. Yes that’s correct. I do not have roof rails. That’s how the car came when I bought it. The rhino rack bars have adapter plates that attach directly to the roof.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The spring lift has worked out great, initially it creaked a little but then settled down - i did have concerns that the negative travel lost would ruin the ride but i don't think there's any downsides really. The clearance is way better when the car is loaded and I think i like the slightly firmer ride generally. I got it done at British Offroad on the Sunny Coast.
The sump guard I ordered online and then fitted myself. It wasn't hard but it wouldn't cost much at all to get it fitted professionally while the springs were being done.
I don't think I would do anything differently. I would love the roof rack to be more easily removable (by 1 person) but then I would have issues with the light bar which has been brilliant.
I guess I wish I had gone with decent cross bars and had a pair of brackets made up to mount the light bar. I also wish I had got a tow hitch installed when I bought it (mostly for mounting bikes and accessories) - I keep wanting to but it's expensive. Might do it myself at some point.
Thanks for the info. I agree about the roof racks. Even with the set up I have I still need a second person to help put the racks on and off.
I have a Hayman Reese tow bar purely for the mountain bike rack. I don’t tow anything although I did tow a small furniture removal trailer once. My car is a 5 seater so no fitting issues. It cost me $1100 fitted at TJM. Also gives me a decent recovery point!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the info. I agree about the roof racks. Even with the set up I have I still need a second person to help put the racks on and off.
I have a Hayman Reese tow bar purely for the mountain bike rack. I don’t tow anything although I did tow a small furniture removal trailer once. My car is a 5 seater so no fitting issues. It cost me $1100 fitted at TJM. Also gives me a decent recovery point!
Nice work! I might give them a call, just trying to justify the $1700 total (including a decent rack) to transport my bike when it can already go inside the car or on the roof. I'll cave eventually

1 - 9 of 9 Posts