Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Anyone recommend any bike carry system to be suspended on rear window? I'm not keen to spend tons on the tow bar for the occasional family bike outing. Obviously the rear spoiler poses an issue but thought there may be a work around.
Thanks,
Oliver

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would be REALLY worried about the stress on the rear spoiler since it hangs out so far. I opted for the not inexpensive route - roof rails and roof rack with bike carrier. This also allows for kayak carrier and other stuff as well (plus, I like the look with the roof rails).

I don't tow, so didn't see the benefit for the trailer hitch mounted rack - since I'd have to install the trailer hitch. Also wonder how much of a pain access to the rear hatch would be with the bike rack mounted. I have seen some where the bike rack folds down to allow the rear to open, but would still seem to get in the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any suggestions to this?

Did anyone ever figure out a rear window bike rack configuration that would work on the DS? I am in a similar boat as the OP - I would like to carry a few kid's bikes, but do not want to invest in the trailer hitch or the roof racks for that one application. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Found a solution

In case anyone was interested in this (bike carrier without mounting the trailer hitch), I was able to locate something that works pretty well - a strap on rack that is built to go around the spoiler. I can't post links according to the system, but it is the "Hollywood Racks F2 Over-the-Top-Bike-Rack" on Amazon for those interested. A little pricey, but for those who only occasionally need to carry bikes it works pretty well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't recommend the bike racks that connect to the hatch. They are not very secure and you tend to get scratches on your vehicle from the bike pedals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In case anyone was interested in this (bike carrier without mounting the trailer hitch), I was able to locate something that works pretty well - a strap on rack that is built to go around the spoiler. I can't post links according to the system, but it is the "Hollywood Racks F2 Over-the-Top-Bike-Rack" on Amazon for those interested. A little pricey, but for those who only occasionally need to carry bikes it works pretty well.
Hi - were you able to confirm that this works by testing it? I was reading on Amazon that it won't work with the Discovery Sport because there is no bumper for the bottom to rest on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts