Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've done about 1500 miles mostly on the highway since I reset my trip meter and it says 24.7. That's in the Western US, going 70+ MPH with lots of hills, 100+ temps so A/C is on all the time and all you can get here is 10% ethanol gas.

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
753 Posts
Does anyone actually use pencil and paper to calculate ????? My trip meter is out almost 20%, naturally optimized to the car's readout LOL.

When I first had the car it was 14% out, then I had injectors changed ( leaking) and a repair to the high pressure fuel line,, then it was 20% out on average. Car ran better and actual fuel economy was about the same but now the car was more optimistic.

Maybe newer cars have a more accurate readout. Let's hope !

·
Registered
59 Posts
I gave up on manually calculating it a few years ago, when I realized most speedometers and hence odometers are usually at least 5% off too. Weird that they almost always read fast which makes your mileage seem better and your warranty run out faster :). So even manual calculations have some inaccuracy and they're only really useful for relative measurements, which your computer does about as well.

·
Registered
2016 Discovery Sport HSE
2 Posts
Recently made a 7 hour trip. 4 people fully loaded. Highway was 27 MPG. Petrol version. How does that compare to anyone else?
In my 2016 Discovery Sport HSE the cars estimate consistently indicates 10% better efficiency that paper and pencil. True miles per gallon runs 28 highway, 24 city. Your mileage may vary.

·
Administrator
753 Posts
I gave up on manually calculating it a few years ago, when I realized most speedometers and hence odometers are usually at least 5% off too. Weird that they almost always read fast which makes your mileage seem better and your warranty run out faster :). So even manual calculations have some inaccuracy and they're only really useful for relative measurements, which your computer does about as well.
Last fall I checked my speedometer using my garmin GPS as a reference, set my cruise to 100KPH on a long flat stretch of road and the GPS showed a constant 99KPH so 1% error. No measured distances on the road but odometer appears to be in my favour.

·
Administrator
753 Posts
Looked back on my calculated records and found the best fill up ( do not top up once pump has clicked off ) gave me 8.61 km/100 L or 32.81 MPG imperial or 27.32 MPG USA.

Sadly it was all in the mountains. Just one long stretch of flat land near me ( checked my gps speed there) and I spend all my time near my home going up and down hills 95% of the time.

Car computer had shown BEST TRIP at 6.7 km/100 L last year but is 19% out. So really 7.95 KM/100KM or 35.5 MPG Imperial or 29.6 MPG USA once again all on hills

1 - 8 of 8 Posts